IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hip Hoppin' Hilo, Part II

DoomsDave

Hilo is the county seat of the county of Hawaii, which is the big island. Other Hawaii counties include Maui, which includes, Maui (duh!), Lanai, and Molokai, as well as Kauai County which includes Kauai and (I think) Niihau . . .

That means it's the big city on the island, which is totally cool for a city of only 40,000 odd people.

To give you an idea, So-Cal is home to about 22 to 25 MILLION people, depending on who's counting, when, and why.

So, here continues the visit to the Little H on the Big H, in my C of D, as I take DB pics of houses, etc.

Streetlight on a rainy day.

Dypsis lutes, galoots

post-208-045380100 1325887774_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

This is a dracena, like you find in any Home Depot, allowed to grow.

Da kine!

Scream. (The people in the house seemed a little nervous.)

post-208-071131300 1325887866_thumb.jpgpost-208-086834600 1325887897_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mickey D's.

Yeah, biggie D, who cares?

LOOKIT THE CROTONS!

post-208-001673000 1325888016_thumb.jpg

This was actually in a little rural Hamlet right off Route, Ka-anu, something, sorry, nothing to do with Reeves . . . .

This is the junction between Route 11, which goes all around the Big Island, and Kamehameha Street, Hilo.

I'm driving the Car of Doom out of Banyan Drive, which is behind me. The airport is dead ahead, and the infamous Ken's is off to the right, out of sight behind the row of Wodetyias.

post-208-004613600 1325888293_thumb.jpg

WHOA!

My first row of Lipstick Palms.

Screeched to a halt, right near the Subway, headed south on Route 11, nearly caused a wreck, screeched around the corner for drive by pics . . .

post-208-098255400 1325888400_thumb.jpgpost-208-057268500 1325888410_thumb.jpg

post-208-004558300 1325888449_thumb.jpg

Hilo Houses of Hilarity. Or not. At a stoplight, click click click

post-208-099261500 1325888514_thumb.jpgpost-208-083286200 1325888532_thumb.jpgpost-208-047252800 1325888545_thumb.jpg

Just a crazed, madness fueled romp across the town.

post-208-032591700 1325888605_thumb.jpgpost-208-034488200 1325888633_thumb.jpg

post-208-074486400 1325888669_thumb.jpgpost-208-015288800 1325888683_thumb.jpgpost-208-050240800 1325888696_thumb.jpg

looky, maw, he likes palm trees, too!

post-208-085052700 1325888770_thumb.jpgpost-208-089413800 1325888793_thumb.jpg

Houses more houses

Presumably with mouses?

post-208-000397600 1325888854_thumb.jpgpost-208-021857800 1325888899_thumb.jpgpost-208-032159800 1325888919_thumb.jpg

Just a few crotons in the parking lot . . .

post-208-063809000 1325888976_thumb.jpg

Oops, ti plants, actually.

Oh, well

OH NO!

There is no escape!

post-208-045878100 1325889169_thumb.jpg

Sigh.

Just an ugly old industrial area.

post-208-068540300 1325889231_thumb.jpg

Plumbago capensis!

Looking good, in spite of the wet and humidity.

Like an old friend, popping up unexpectedly. See how rich and green it looks, in the middle of Hilo.

post-208-083132800 1325889355_thumb.jpg

Everyone said this was a weed, dang, wish my weeds were this pretty.

post-208-047559100 1325889447_thumb.jpg

Another drive by palm garden, the usual.

Routine, but not boring.

post-208-044872000 1325889531_thumb.jpg

The parking lot of Hilo Hattie's, right off Route 11.

post-208-088967100 1325889600_thumb.jpg post-208-026118200 1325889636_thumb.jpg

Dinner, home-made curry. Took the powder home on the Flying Sausage . . .

Hotel room had kitchenette, which I used a lot.

post-208-011793300 1325889718_thumb.jpg