IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Hippity Hop to Hilo, Hawaii

DoomsDave

Howdyall:

Hilo is that little dot on the eastern coast of the Big Island of Hawaii, a town of about 40 odd thousand residents, on the overwhelmingly rural island.

It turned out to be a wonderful charming place, which strikes the balance between being tourist friendly, but not tacky and not precious.

I took lots of pictures of the place, and the environs.

First, some music:

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

And another couple:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

post-208-071994000 1325826513_thumb.jpg

Church, with strong asian influence

It's a little hard to see, but if you look closely at the top of the chainlink fence, the people who own this house attached some dendrobium orchids along the fence's entire length.

When they bloom, in March, I think, they will be spectacular. Right off route 11 . . . .

post-208-079550300 1325826665_thumb.jpg

post-208-024086300 1325826681_thumb.jpg

post-208-046128300 1325826694_thumb.jpg

This is a nice house. The median price in this general hood is about $250,000 down from more than $400k a few years ago.

post-208-018317700 1325826828_thumb.jpg

This is the local Merril Lynch office, with bitchen brunfelsias blooming bodaciously . . .

post-208-034332000 1325826876_thumb.jpg

post-208-056974800 1325826901_thumb.jpg

Walls made of volcanic stone were all over the place.

Yeah, this isn't marble or granite, but a nice, serviceable material anyway, and you don't have to spend arms and legs hauling it in from elsewhere. It can worked to look casual, or very formal.

An example, with more to follow:

post-208-094829700 1325827080_thumb.jpg

My hotel was on Banyan Drive, which has large banyan trees planted by various celebs of ancient times, with commemorations:

post-208-012979300 1325827233_thumb.jpg

post-208-045577400 1325827255_thumb.jpg

Others include Amelia Erhart, et al, most from the 1930s and 1940s.

They were big, and impressive (I thought) but not even close to be being as big as Banyans can be.

The biggest single influence on the island's culture, aside from Native Hawaiian and American, is Japanese.

Here's a Japanese garden in front of a supermarket, looking a little worse for wear on the part of the pines.

The azaleas were adorable, though.

post-208-037259200 1325827444_thumb.jpg

post-208-041586100 1325827494_thumb.jpg

Hilo gets about 125-150 inches of rain a year (400 mm?) and plants are all over the place.

If in doubt, plant it out.

post-208-003977700 1325827585_thumb.jpg

Nice shrub, no clue what it is . . .

post-208-093737600 1325827621_thumb.jpg

Commercial building with simple, but elegant landscaping.

post-208-073211400 1325827752_thumb.jpg

Views of downtown Hilo's waterfront downtown, and the actual waterfront.

post-208-081074500 1325827811_thumb.jpg

post-208-083838100 1325827873_thumb.jpg

There will be more, but off to bed now, it's been a long day . . .

Hilo also has its share of oddball eccentrics.

Here's one, across the street from the Worse for Wear Japanese Garden noted earlier.

post-208-080914600 1325861693_thumb.jpg

Same yard, from a distance.

The town is so small that commercial buildings sit right next to houses, which you don't usually see in more built up So-Cal. (Usually.)

post-208-003535600 1325861785_thumb.jpg

Houses in Hilo use these metal roofs I've never seen before, but which I suspect are familiar to the residents of the tropics all over the rest of the world.

This is the roof of the hotel.

Kinda cool, totally different from the shingles and boards I'm used to.

post-208-053435300 1325861889_thumb.jpg

post-208-083140100 1325861941_thumb.jpg

This is a building near the Suisun Fish Market, which is built on stilts, in the hope of foiling a tsunami.

However, debris will probably knock the stilts out anyway.

But they love their deadly ocean in Hilo. They've had numerous tsunami over the years, and still they build right next to the Sea of Doom.

post-208-045988900 1325862178_thumb.jpg

Here's a plaque commemorating the market, and the neighborhood that used to be near it.

It's a bit hard to read, sorry. Cloudy day.

post-208-065868400 1325862294_thumb.jpg

Here are various views of the river, right next to the market, running into the sea.

post-208-079007500 1325862351_thumb.jpg

post-208-040369100 1325862381_thumb.jpg

post-208-089088600 1325862418_thumb.jpg

post-208-053052100 1325862529_thumb.jpg

post-208-040666400 1325862568_thumb.jpg

Aloha to me!

post-208-068334400 1325862644_thumb.jpg

And, aloha to whoever this memorial was for. Hawaiians, like Californians, do the roadside memorial thing a lot. (where did that originate?)

post-208-070951200 1325862742_thumb.jpg

Liliukalani park near the hotel.

Lots of space.

post-208-073564500 1325862817_thumb.jpg

More of the park.

The banyans here were easily four times the size of the ones planted by the celebs.

post-208-016697700 1325862904_thumb.jpg post-208-035336200 1325862942_thumb.jpg post-208-060587600 1325862966_thumb.jpg post-208-040662700 1325862985_thumb.jpg post-208-060653000 1325863006_thumb.jpg

Yet more of the park.

post-208-095126100 1325863096_thumb.jpgpost-208-089050700 1325863115_thumb.jpgpost-208-060963900 1325863134_thumb.jpgpost-208-035159600 1325863189_thumb.jpgpost-208-023035400 1325863234_thumb.jpg

The huge tree in no. 3 and 5 is a Monkeypod Tree. I call it the Tree that Takes Enormous Amounts of Space, and we Gloat Over the Fact.

This is from the parking lot of the hotel.

Note the plants growing on the trunks of the palms.

Also note the rusting roof to the right.

post-208-003512300 1325863423_thumb.jpg

Exterior shots of hotel.

Just different from any other hotel I've stayed.

post-208-081709600 1325864736_thumb.jpg post-208-069590400 1325864744_thumb.jpg

AND!

The Dodge of Doom

post-208-099486100 1325864766_thumb.jpg

Orchid plants, for cheap.

post-208-055592400 1325864829_thumb.jpg

Long's Drug store parking lot.

post-208-093778200 1325864888_thumb.jpg

Road cut through the forest.

Not native, though, second or third growth instead.

post-208-027021100 1325864959_thumb.jpg post-208-018433600 1325864969_thumb.jpg post-208-033774900 1325864978_thumb.jpg

The bridge in the last picture is a single-lane bridge, where the spirit of Aloha is supposed to govern the right of way. One side has right of way, while other has to wait. Heaven and aloha help in the event of confusion . . .

A nice evocation of my hometown for the last six years.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

A nice evocation of my hometown for the last six years.

Mike!

Would have been nice to meet you!

Oh, well, there will be other times . . . .

aloha

Great stuff Dave. I think the plant behind the fence is Mussaenda 'Queen Sirikit'...sometimes called "Summer Poinsettia" (a couple of other plants share that common name).

Went to the Big Island for the first time summer of 2010-Wow!... Even got to tour Bo & Karolyn's amazing piece of paradise-stayed two weeks on the Hilo side. Wow!

Back again last summer-Wow!-one week on Hilo side, one week on Kona side. Again, Wow!

Never vacationed three years in a row in the same place but probably goin' back in June.

I'd go back to the Big Island just for a couple of Tex's Fresh Hot Malasadas..."Ono Kine"

DSCF1386.jpg

Merritt Island, Florida 32952

28º21'06.15"N 80º40'03.75"W

Zone 9b-10a

4-5 feet above sea level

Four miles inland

No freeze since '89...Damn!-since 2nd week of Jan., 2010

Geeze Dave, my house is right up from that church in post #3, I could have shown you more palms. mrlooney.gif

Next time.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

excellent, can't get enough...

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Geeze Dave, my house is right up from that church in post #3, I could have shown you more palms. mrlooney.gif

Next time.

Oh, yeah, next time, indeed, the sooner the better!

This is a building near the Suisun Fish Market, which is built on stilts, in the hope of foiling a tsunami.

But they love their deadly ocean in Hilo. They've had numerous tsunami over the years, and still they build right next to the Sea of Doom.

Hi Dave,

Places on the coast in the tropics/subtropics build on stilts to help with cooling. Breezes circulating under the house is meant to make a big difference inside. Also elevates a house above the many snakes and other creepy-crawlies. This building style is a common practice in northern Australia.

See the following "Queenslander" for example:

Glad you had a great time Dave !!

Regards

Michael.

post-953-088590400 1326000796_thumb.jpg

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

Hi Dave,

Places on the coast in the tropics/subtropics build on stilts to help with cooling. Breezes circulating under the house is meant to make a big difference inside. Also elevates a house above the many snakes and other creepy-crawlies. This building style is a common practice in northern Australia.

See the following "Queenslander" for example:

Glad you had a great time Dave !!

Regards

Michael.

Yeah, duly noted.

What I'm really curious about, though, is what effect does it have viz a viz Oz's version of the ADA (Americans with Disabilities Act) which requires retrofitting to allow those in wheelchairs to go everywhere . . . .