IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Why so cold?

gsytch

The more things change, the more they stay the same. This morning, the Arctic Oscillation looks to go very negative toward months end. Up to now, the NAO has been slightly positive so the AO going negative wasn't a big concern. Now both could be tanking which is a sure bet for February cold weather. The days seem to be crawling by and March seems very far away.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Lord no....No AO neg! It makes all the warmth of this winter go away because everything will be frozen, including me. The campus I teach at in Hudson looks like a war zone. I do mean brown! Just 25 mins N of me and a whole different growing zone. White Birds totally burnt. Only the one of mine in the open has any damage at all. Those under shade and huge are fine. No Mango damage. No Dypsis damage. I'll keep my fingers and pinkie toes crossed that February is milder....................

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

• 2 weeks later...

The PNA is positive, the NAO is neutral and the AO is very negative. If the polar vortex wasn't "leaning" more towards Asia, we'd be in a world of hurt right now. The door is open but the cold air fan isn't turned on. The pattern needs to change quickly before the vortex shifts back towards North America.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

NOAA climate is expecting below-normal this month, but not for north of Florida.

610temp.new.gif

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I saw that, too. But the long range for the next 7 days is well above normal. Every forecast shows 77-80F average highs through Feb 9th and lows near 60F...definitely NOT below normal. Perhaps they were expecting that Alaskan cold to come down. It is not. Thankfully. Today was a beautiful 80F afternoon. Sunny. Again. Welcomed!!!!!!!!!! :drool:

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

Not only you in the US but we in Europe, too.

The so called "Russian coldness" dominates the European continent. Currently we have - 10 °C max, at night -18 °C ... naff! :rolleyes:

For indoor palms that means: warm temperatures (by the heater) in combination with much air humidity (to avoid spider mites). I have arms like a professional wrestler. 8 liters of warm water I have to spray every day ... :D

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)