• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Queen palm ban

Cycadcenter

Frustrating situation, and sad state of affairs...

I saw council (or equivalent) cutting down coconuts at Ellis Beach (North Cairns) yesterday coming home from the Daintree... Why???

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Frustrating situation, and sad state of affairs...

I saw council (or equivalent) cutting down coconuts at Ellis Beach (North Cairns) yesterday coming home from the Daintree... Why???

That certainly is a sad state of affairs...... The Coconuts at Ellis Beach are iconic. It is almost unbelievable what they are doing. A number of years ago many councils started to remove them because of insurance fears etc. but if de-nutted like the local beachside ones here are there is no problem..............

I wonder if any of the authorities have read the book 'Australian Palms' by esteemed botanist John Dowe who has written that Cocos nucifera is a native palm that occurs from about Broome in W.A around the northern coast to Gladstone, Qld.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

They were actually cutting them down on the hill side of the highway near the pub... We can only hope the don't do it to the beach side.

There's always talk about cutting them down up here (news paper, radio etc). Even up at Cape Tribulation! I've planted a few on the beach at Cow Bay, because as you say - they are iconic to the area!

Sorry to get off topic here...

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

The holiday brochurs are never going to look the same. I honestly thought coconuts where one of those cosmopolitan species native to where ever they will grow simply by virtue of the fact that the sea is their method of seed dispersal. Or have we got crossed currents here?

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

The holiday brochurs are never going to look the same. I honestly thought coconuts where one of those cosmopolitan species native to where ever they will grow simply by virtue of the fact that the sea is their method of seed dispersal. Or have we got crossed currents here?

No you are correct, they are an Australian native........some forms found here are not found anywhere else.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Are the endemic "forms" cool hardy one asks hopefully? I have a view of the sea from the mountains so......

Cerdic

Non omnis moriar (Horace)

Are the endemic "forms" cool hardy one asks hopefully? I have a view of the sea from the mountains so......

I would doubt that they are, one dwarf form that I know about from Moa Island comes from a sub-equatorial climate.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Wow and I thought the enviro-crazies were bad here in Florida, they're way worse down there lol want to chop down Coconuts!!??

I never cared or liked Queens much but suddenly I find myself admiring some of the local specimens. Lately I've even liked some of them, and noticed differences (much fatter trunks in some) and in others an overall more attractive look that is quite tropical-looking.

Back in 2007 I told the garden manager at Lowes (near Lk Underhill and Alafaya) here in Orlando that those Koelreuterias (Chinese Rain Trees) they were selling are very invasive and should not be sold. He gave me some excuse like "well people buy them!" yea no s....... !!! and after whatever it was I replied.. he gave me this hateful look lol

Here in Orlando I wish they banned Koelreuterias and Camphors. Those are the ugliest trees in town during the winter (Camphors turn an ugly ochre-green). Also those smallish oaks they line the streets / parking lots with which are cute and slim when young but look like a bad hair day when they get bigger, are not any prettier, but those are probably native. But geez.. they are ugly

Outside the more exclusive, expensive areas in town it seems almost every block has several large Camphors and Rain Trees. Given all the vacant houses from the housing bust, now a whole bunch of seedlings are sprouting everywhere and growing very quickly (like next to where I am). The other day I jumped the fence to try to pull the Rain Trees out but couldn't, they have some strong deep tap roots! Will have to jump with a shovel..

For the life of me I can't believe those two haven't been banned already here in the Orlando area.

Florida didn't have coconut palms until well after Europeans arrived, so they're mostly being removed from state parks. Cape Florida State Park has some around the lighthouse (ancient, by Florida standards) because coconuts had been present during most, if not all, of the structure's history.

I'm still a bit surprised that such useful plants didn't make it to Australia very early.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I would doubt that they are, one dwarf form that I know about from Moa Island comes from a sub-equatorial climate.

Heard about them before but didn't find much info or any photos. Wonder how they look like..

-How tall are they? Small enough to cover/protect from freezes?

-Can the nuts be obtained anywhere?

• 1 month later...

I wish they would do a partial ban of queen palms in Florida...the sickly ones that aren't taken care of. Without good feeding or irrigation on our sandy soils or the marl in SoFL, they look sickly and horrible. Ban those !!!

The best reason yet.

Nothing in the world (well almost) like a magnificent well grown romanzoffiana, grown in a constant cool sunny morning mist belt or facing a constant finely moist waterfall spray, roots in rich soft damp clay head in the blue sky, absolutely inspiring. Robust and darkly luxuriant filling any space or place with a presence second to none.

More so than most commonly grown palms they carry a very deep and real sense of place, exotic evocative and mysterious.

Erm ok well its true[blush]. They have a unique sound in the wind too, their very own language that becomes almost song like when dry or like a buffaloe walking through elephant grass in the morning dew.

Badly or even moderately badly grown they are a complete waste of time, certainly a survivor (unfortunately as such neglected) but not the easiest number to get absolutely right by any chalk not even in the wild.

Cool constantly moist riverine/rain/mist micro climate forest in my opinion is where they are at their very very best, robust shiny and irresistible. Im planning growing some again after a gap of twenty years, seeds germinating as I type biggrin.gif

Believe me Eric I wouldn't even bother if I didn't have exactly the right natural conditions available to me its just not worth it they look so sad otherwise like skinny sick neglected puppies.

Cedric,

As you probably know here in Northern Europe and especially the UK people have tried to grow queens.

Even in the mildest locations (coastal UK, London) where syagrus could survive a normal winter they still won't grow much during the growing season. One frond and a half are what can be expected at most.

If you write a cool and moist climate are what they require could you give an indication as to what temperatures these climates experience during the growing season? I have the impression that queens won't move much during periods when nights drop below 60F/65F (10 months per year in the UK). Could that be correct?

thanks,

Axel

Edited by Axel Amsterdam

[...]

This move certainly doesn't surprise me ...

but what concerns me is the fact that this is being done by a council

[...]

Yes, yes and yes again!

I guess it is not a special plant beeing a problem generally but the crazy restrictions of public authorities and other administratives. You would never believe what manic ideas and rules the Headquarter of the European Union in Brussel is able to produce. An example is: they dictate the turn of a banana.

In my humble opinion the real pest are not plants or other things. The real pest tries to control and manipulate and is located in offices ...

Just my 5 cents

Member of the ultimate Lytocaryum fan society :)