IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Mule palms officially date back to 1932 in FL

Palmə häl′ik

ohboy was it tricky to access this one...

but I share none the less...

this ought to work:

http://www.fshs.org/Proceedings/Password%20Protected/1973%20Vol.%2086/470-473%20(BUSH).pdf

Does Fairchild still have these three bruisers in Plot 3 :hmm:

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

27.95°N 82.28°W (Elev. 62 ft)

Zone9 w/ canopy

try to drag and drop my link into your web browser.

it's fsus server, and it's pw protected.

direct links won't work.

~ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Here are the ones in front of the FSU main libray...

post-3028-074758300 1324862691_thumb.jpg

post-3028-074956900 1324862703_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I'll betcha that one that Sarasota Alex posted a couple months back is the one referenced in that article...

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

...and here are a couple of the ones on the circular drive on Call St. at FSU

post-3028-049268000 1324894840_thumb.jpg

post-3028-028047400 1324894852_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

I've found some interesting butiagrus palms here in Highlands County and also in Hardee County, Florida. I have a friend who owns (along with his three sons) a nursery (Buckhorn Nursery) in Hardee County and they get Butias by the 100s in maybe 3 gallon containers, and place them in long rows in full sun. My friend says he can walk the rows and spot a butiagrus with no problem, and pulls it (for later and more expensive sale) from the others.

Just the other day I took the first photo below of some local butiagrus palms. I've been photographing them for years, but have yet met the owner(s) to inquire about these palms.

The second photo below is of the tallest butiagrus so far I've come across here in Highlands County. This palm is located in Sebring, Florida. I spoke with the owner and he told me the palm was already planted when he bought his home back in the early 1980s. He told me some landscaping business offered him $500 for this palm -- and he laughed in their face! I estimate his butiagrus had about 23 feet of clear trunk.

2889773730042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2270219910042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

When I first moved to Highlands County in 1997 (I was living near Avon Park), the butiagrus palm (two of them) in the below photo were the first ones I had ever seen. In fact, I didn't even know what a butiagrus palm was, but to me, at the time, being a neophyte (with respect to palms) I knew this was not a queen palm. And to me, at the time, it looked similar to a coconut palm.

I took this photo in 2005 and reallly need to update it. However, I just looked at these palms on Google Earth "street scene" and they don't appear to have grown much at all.

1394528888042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

The below mule palm is growing alonside a highway in Hardee County. If I'm ever over that way again I will take a current photo, as surely this palm (if it's still there) has grown some in almost eight years since this photo was taken.

1112821356042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

There is a mobile home park about 1-1/2 miles from me with butiagrus palms in it. I need to drive over there and see how these two have grown since nine years ago.

1058125069042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

Good reading. So correct me if I am wrong Gervin Pringle was pumping out 50,000 Mule palms a year in 1949. He said 5% of Millions of liners were hybrids. It appears Mr. Pringle was the president of the FNGLA back in 55 56.

Apparently their around Erik. I dunno about 50 thousand of 'em... But I'm starting to see more and more now that I know what I'm lookin' at.... The majorty of them are inland. I've seen a few in Z-Hills (zephyrhills), but never have my camera with...

Lotsa 'old folks' up that aways... Their the ones that planted 'em...

There's a few here in Brandon.

SnowBird territory up and down 301 holds lotsa large old butias and mules aswell... Remember I75 wasn't around til the 80's... :winkie:

He must've been pushin' the hybrid back then...

I'll betcha all the older large ones we see are from his efforts.

Your time to shine will come... :lol:

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

So, is it just me, or do those palms look a bit ragged. Sure hope mine grow up to be prettier.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Thanks for sharing guys

It's funny .... in the United States you can see more mules that we in the natural habitat ....

Regards

Visit my site

www.palmasenresistencia.blogspot.com

And comment me

I have only one butiagrus palm. I got it during the summer of 2002. It was in a 15 gallon concrete pot. The palm was totally (and I mean totally) root bound in the pot -- and suffering from mineral deficiency (probably nitrogen and iron and potassium) as evidence from it's anemic color. I was going to take a sledge hammer to the pot so as to extricate the root ball from it, but my wife wanted me to keep the pot, so I painstakingly used various tools to run down the insides of the pot, and also used a heavy rubber mallet to beat on the pot so as to free the root ball. I finally freed the palm after about a 1/2 hour of work (and painted the pot green for my wife, and she uses this pot to this day).

I planted my butia and fortified the planting hole with Dynamite slow release fertilizer, and then used a palm special combintion fast/slow release fertilizer from there on out. The palm greened up very fast.

Today my butiagrus has 7 feet of unbooted trunk. I plan to get some more butiagrus palms.

1094233019042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

2541905210042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

That thing looks happy Walt!

That's what I need out back, 'hassle free' palms...

I have no canopy out back...

Just feed it and go! :mrlooney:

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Thanks Ray for starting this thread. When i started producing the XButiagrus it was out of being aggrevated for not being able to find any other nurseries than Rockledge Gardens who only had a few to sell per year.

I have only sold a handfull but i have allways wanted to sell later in life when retirement came and that was my nestegg. But tough times have hit us all and now i'll sell some if that oppurtunity comes about.

It is cool to see that the Mule palm has been produced WAY before any of knew about it! That would explain all the Mule palms that i see while driving around Orlando suburbs and also where Walt was talking about.

Thanks for the info, it answers alot of questions!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Apparently their around Erik. I dunno about 50 thousand of 'em... But I'm starting to see more and more now that I know what I'm lookin' at.... The majorty of them are inland. I've seen a few in Z-Hills (zephyrhills), but never have my camera with...

Lotsa 'old folks' up that aways... Their the ones that planted 'em...

There's a few here in Brandon.

SnowBird territory up and down 301 holds lotsa large old butias and mules aswell... Remember I75 wasn't around til the 80's... :winkie:

He must've been pushin' the hybrid back then...

I'll betcha all the older large ones we see are from his efforts.

Your time to shine will come... :lol:

~Ray.

Roy Amerson who was mentioned on the last page of this article is 10 miles down the road from Mule Palm Nursery. The guy who taught Mark Lynn how to pollinate is the one who was pulling these hybrids out of the Butia field for Roy in the 80s and probably would have never started pollinating if it were not for Roy buying these hybrids that he picked out of the field. He grew a field of mule palms that he sold in the late 90s. This field is now Mule Palm Nursery. The late 90s is when Mark Lynn took over. Here is one of the runts that was not sold out of the field planted in 1988. It is great to see all of this in writing.

post-1930-085255400 1325097217_thumb.jpg

Ross Laffler was foreman for Mr. Pringle. Ross provided the largest XButyagrus still surviving near McCarty Hall at U. F. It seems unlikely that Pringle/Laffler produced such astronomical numbers of XButyagrus.

It is interesting that the XButyagrus I gave Huntington B. G. has produced several F2's, all of which seem to be selfs of F1's.

Hi, Walt:

I'm glad to hear Buckhorn Nursery is still functioning!

Best Wishes,

merrill

• Upvote 1

The below mule palm is growing alonside a highway in Hardee County. If I'm ever over that way again I will take a current photo, as surely this palm (if it's still there) has grown some in almost eight years since this photo was taken.

Hey Walt!

If that's the same tree I'm used to seeing, then it's on 64 in Hardee County? If so, it's up over the power lines now. I always admired it on the way to my bro-in-law's house in Zolfo Springs.

Thanks for posting,

Rich

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks Ray for starting this thread. When i started producing the XButiagrus it was out of being aggrevated for not being able to find any other nurseries than Rockledge Gardens who only had a few to sell per year.

I have only sold a handfull but i have allways wanted to sell later in life when retirement came and that was my nestegg. But tough times have hit us all and now i'll sell some if that oppurtunity comes about.

It is cool to see that the Mule palm has been produced WAY before any of knew about it! That would explain all the Mule palms that i see while driving around Orlando suburbs and also where Walt was talking about.

Walt,

If you are in the market for more mules - then Mark Heath is your man. He's got a great grove of mules in Central FLA. I would highly recommend Mark if you add to your Butiagrus collection.

Thanks,

Rich

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

Ross Laffler was foreman for Mr. Pringle. Ross provided the largest XButyagrus still surviving near McCarty Hall at U. F. It seems unlikely that Pringle/Laffler produced such astronomical numbers of XButyagrus.

It is interesting that the XButyagrus I gave Huntington B. G. has produced several F2's, all of which seem to be selfs of F1's.

Hi, Walt:

I'm glad to hear Buckhorn Nursery is still functioning!

Best Wishes,

merrill

Hi Merrill,

Ron Lambert (the old man, not the son) of Buckhorn Nursery told me he knew you. Ron told me about some trunked Sabal etonia he knows about (at least he thinks they are) up in Avon Park he wants to show me. Ron says the Nursery is doing fine.

Walt

Mad about palms

Hey Walt!

If that's the same tree I'm used to seeing, then it's on 64 in Hardee County? If so, it's up over the power lines now. I always admired it on the way to my bro-in-law's house in Zolfo Springs.

Thanks for posting,

Rich

Rich,

I believe that may be the palm, as I believe it was on Rt. 64, about 10 miles west of Avon Park. The owner of Buckhorn Nursery, Ron Lambert, showed me that palm the day I was visiting the nursery, and we went driving around looking at some local palm specimens he wanted to show me. I will ask Ron if the palm is still there when I next talk to him.

Walt

Mad about palms

Walt,

If you are in the market for more mules - then Mark Heath is your man. He's got a great grove of mules in Central FLA. I would highly recommend Mark if you add to your Butiagrus collection.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

I'm aware that Mark Heath is a grower of mule palms. He's probably the closet source to me, also. I will contact Mark when I'm ready to buy.

Walt

Mad about palms

alright. check it:

Now, that I actually read this I am curious as to why you picked out the date of 1932, instead of 1903 when it first reported in literature.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

alright. check it:

Now, that I actually read this I am curious as to why you picked out the date of 1932, instead of 1903 when it first reported in literature.

If they accepted that date they may have to change the name of the palm. As well as make the Mule Palm the state tree of Florida. LOL

Anyone know the exact date Paul Nabonnand first did his cross in the early 1900s?

I should rename the thread topic to Mule palms officially date back to 1908 in France... :blink:

~Ray.

Brandon, FL

Zone9 w/ canopy

Hey Walt!

Thanks for posting,

Rich

Rich,

I believe that may be the palm, as I believe it was on Rt. 64, about 10 miles west of Avon Park. The owner of Buckhorn Nursery, Ron Lambert, showed me that palm the day I was visiting the nursery, and we went driving around looking at some local palm specimens he wanted to show me. I will ask Ron if the palm is still there when I next talk to him.

Walt

Hi Walt and Rich,

I think Dad took a picture of that mule in June, 1971

post-771-098821700 1325474197_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Hey Walt!

Thanks for posting,

Rich

Rich,

Walt

Hi Walt and Rich,

I think Dad took a picture of that mule in June, 1971

post-771-098821700 1325474197_thumb.jpg

That looks like it (with the orange grove and power pole in background). I went on Google Earth (street scene) the other day and confirmed it's the same mule palm. The palm is located on the north side of Rt. 64,approximately 700 feet before you get to Maude Road (same side of Rt. 64 as the mule palm).

Mad about palms

• 3 years later...
On 1/2/2012, 3:52:01, Walt said:

That looks like it (with the orange grove and power pole in background). I went on Google Earth (street scene) the other day and confirmed it's the same mule palm. The palm is located on the north side of Rt. 64,approximately 700 feet before you get to Maude Road (same side of Rt. 64 as the mule palm).

That is one GORGEOUS mule. Looks the most coconut-like of any I've seen. What makes it is the thin trunk.

https://www.google.com/maps/@27.5588074,-81.6760403,3a,37.5y,320.04h,92.74t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sO9_7FJhd82rzH_dWKhrK1A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Edited by Opal92