Tejas Tropicals

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 tank

tank

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 01:51 PM

Have done multiple purchases. All plant material has been reasonably priced and of high quality. Packaging was well done and plants arrived in great condition. Really love my Macrozamia glaucophyllas! Will buy from them again.
Jason
Gainesville, Florida

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Jeff zone 8 N.C.

Jeff zone 8 N.C.

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 261 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 09:08 PM

I certainly agree with Tank. Tejas Tropicals grows first rate plants and the service is great. David is very helpful and friendly. I will be making several more purchases as money allows.....uh..ok, ok, actually I have to order in smaller increments, of one or two plants at the time, so my wife doesn't notice.

#3 MattyB

MattyB

• IPS MEMBER
  • 17,306 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 08:27 AM

I love my agaves from David @ tejastropicals! They are doing great!
Matt Bradford
"Manambe Lavaka"
Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)
10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)
9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

#4 vincentmolino

vincentmolino

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 59 posts

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:25 AM

he was very helpful with me as well, and close too!
-Vinny

#5 NCpalmqueen

NCpalmqueen

• IPS MEMBER
  • 377 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 07:22 AM

David was very kind to me on two separate visits (throwing in some freebies with my orders), and i've mailordered several times. Top notch!
Cindy
:)

Zone 8, Elev. 350'
Raleigh/Apex, NC
Bone dry summers, wet winters, 2-3 days ea. winter in low teens.

#6 Tejastropicals

Tejastropicals

• IPS MEMBER
  • 77 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 06:57 PM

Thank you all for the positive feedback. We sincerely appreciate your comments and your business.
David Glover
Growing cold hardy palms and tropicals in Coldspring, Tx
http://www.tejastropicals.com

#7 redbeard917

redbeard917

• IPS MEMBER
  • 326 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:00 AM

I've ordered from Tejas Tropicals twice. The plants were all very healthy and much larger than expected.
Woodville, FL
zone 8b

#8 sonoranfans

sonoranfans

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 06:59 PM

I purchased sabal domingensis, uresana, and brahea clara. Excellent quality and hard to beat those prices....
Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

#9 Brahea Axel

Brahea Axel

• StumpHead
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 12:06 PM

Unbelievable, I really would never have believed it. $25 for a large 5 gallon jubaeopsis kaffra, bare rooted and when re-potted didn't even flinch. Not only are Tejas Tropicals priced right, but they are solid, tough plants that don't appear to have been pulled from a greenhouse. Their bare rooted and shipped plants rival in quality what I bought in Southern California. 

Plants are also labeled properly and packaged really well. I've had no issues whatsoever with all their plants in terms of handling being bare rooted. I will be ordering from them in the future. 

I planted one of the bare rooted kaffras right into the garden with only a shade cloth protecting it, no issues whatsoever, it's actually already growing. 

Read About my palms here: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/northern-california-palms/
Sawubona! Palms aren't much fun unless there are others to share them with.
36°N/550f elev. Santa Cruz Mountains Sunset 16, Koppen Csb
Upper garden steep sloped thermal belt, Lower garden frost prone
My Wunderground Station in lower garden: KCASANTA178

#10 Brahea Axel

Brahea Axel

• StumpHead
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 18 May 2013 - 06:55 AM

Yet another super bonus for Tejas Tropicals. He was out of something I had ordered and put in a substitute. I didn't look very carefully at the order, just potted them up and let them acclimate. A few weeks ago, I put the whole lot in the sun. In the midst of the  order, I discovered that one of the substitution was the super rare brahea moorei.

Read About my palms here: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/northern-california-palms/
Sawubona! Palms aren't much fun unless there are others to share them with.
36°N/550f elev. Santa Cruz Mountains Sunset 16, Koppen Csb
Upper garden steep sloped thermal belt, Lower garden frost prone
My Wunderground Station in lower garden: KCASANTA178

#11 redbeard917

redbeard917

• IPS MEMBER
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:17 PM

Are they still in business? Their site redirects to a site selling...chickens. Which is cool and all, but I for one get about 1000% more excited about palms.

Actually, two of the most prominent plants in my sunny garden area (Livistona nitida and Agave montana) are from the (hopefully not late and lamented) Tejas Tropicals.

Woodville, FL
zone 8b

#12 redbeard917

redbeard917

• IPS MEMBER
  • 326 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:19 PM

They were the Amazon.com of palms, and other plants. Rare species right on your doorstep! I feel like I did after Hardees discontinued the steakhouse thickburger.

Woodville, FL
zone 8b

#13 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,894 posts

Posted 09 September 2013 - 08:21 PM

The sub-pages on the site are still there, but not the From the Farm tab.   Either branching out or switching over.  Hard to tell, but same folks, it looks like.

http://www.tejastrop...ommon-name.html

http://www.tejastrop...inger-festival/

In my post I sometimes express "MY" opinion.   Please do not feel insulted if your opinion differs from my opinion.  That is fine.  You get to have one, I get to have one.  Its kind of like they teach you in Kindergarten, but we don't even have to share.  Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

#14 tank

tank

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 03:07 AM

I called them earlier this year and they said they were transitioning away from tropicals.

Jason
Gainesville, Florida

#15 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,894 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 02:26 PM

I called them earlier this year and they said they were transitioning away from tropicals.

Crap

In my post I sometimes express "MY" opinion.   Please do not feel insulted if your opinion differs from my opinion.  That is fine.  You get to have one, I get to have one.  Its kind of like they teach you in Kindergarten, but we don't even have to share.  Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

#16 redbeard917

redbeard917

• IPS MEMBER
  • 326 posts

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:35 PM

I haz a sad.

Woodville, FL
zone 8b

#17 MASOALA JASON

MASOALA JASON

• IPS MEMBER
  • 161 posts

Posted 18 September 2013 - 06:35 PM

Just today I received my order from Tejas Tropicals. Both the Cycas panzhihuaensis and the Allagoptera arenaria were immaculately grown and for the price were a great deal. I really hope it is a rumor that they are transitioning away from tropicals.

#18 tank

tank

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,199 posts

Posted 20 September 2013 - 09:27 AM

Just today I received my order from Tejas Tropicals. Both the Cycas panzhihuaensis and the Allagoptera arenaria were immaculately grown and for the price were a great deal. I really hope it is a rumor that they are transitioning away from tropicals.

Give them a call.  They probably still have a bunch of stuff available.  Note, when you go to the tejas tropicals old website it directs you to tejas heritage farm where the sell sustainable poultry.

Jason
Gainesville, Florida

#19 vincentmolino

vincentmolino

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 59 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:11 PM

Is Caldwell nurseries the same company? 

-Vinny

#20 Alicehunter2000

Alicehunter2000

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 05:45 PM

Doesn't look like it, didn't see any palms. Maybe I will try and make an order on material he still has, and see how it goes.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a 

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

#21 Alicehunter2000

Alicehunter2000

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,097 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Tried to order today, the site lets me put in plants, number, and shipping, billing info. and set up an accont.......but doesn't have anywhere to put in credit card info. for purchase........I called the company phone number listed and got an answering machine. Something tells me that they are not interested in selling plants anymore, even though the website is still operational. Weird...they either need to pull their plants website or get their act together...we will see if they respond to my message.

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a 

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

#22 SoulofthePlace

SoulofthePlace

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 51 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 10:22 AM

Their palms were always nice. Sometimes I would receive a bonus plant from them. Unfortunately they closed in 2013. This year 2014 I noticed their palm tree website is back? I know, people do not buy or sell palms during such an economic crisis, so I switched to growing my own, from seed, but still need a couple palms here and there in larger or smaller sizes.

The climate in their location in Tejas (zone 8B?) must be very different from my location in South Carolina (zone 8A) as the palms here do not survive that well as overthere. They told me their little seedlings of California Fan Palm survive 15F out in the open in Texas, while here they would stand no chance of surviving 15F unless they are at least 2 feet of clear trunk.

Edited by SoulofthePlace, 21 March 2014 - 10:28 AM.

#23 fr8train

fr8train

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 42 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 03:44 PM

I bought two Brahea sp. Super Silver from them last year. They were fairly large for the price, and they're still going strong. I'm sorry to hear they're no longer in business. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users