IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The first official freeze?

Gonzer

Here we had just 36 F once and no frost so far. All my stuff is still outdoors and i hope a fez more days like these. But i am ready to immediately protect everything. My greenhouse has everything but the roof, and the garage and kitchen are waiting for tender material :)

I swear, weathermen are as bad as politicians, can't trust a word they say. So it's 'sposed to be "warmer" again this morning?

RIGHT!

33.3 at 2:00am with a 'high' of 35 at 3:15, then back down to 33.1 at 4:00am.

At least George Carlin got it right; "tonight's forecast...dark!"

The humididty is up so it feels colder out than yesterday even though it is 3 degrees warmer. There is no wind and higher humidity so frost was a little more prevelent today. Looks like high clouds down south

Southside Vista

Measurements taken under no canopy at all and about 2 ft off the ground

Sunday morning 35F no frost

Monday morning 36F with light "slushy almost frost" on cars only

Tuesday morning 36F no moisture at all.

Wednesday morning 32F no frost

Thursday morning 35F frost on cars and a small spot in the grass

Carl

Vista, CA

Here we had just 36 F once and no frost so far. All my stuff is still outdoors and i hope a fez more days like these. But i am ready to immediately protect everything. My greenhouse has everything but the roof, and the garage and kitchen are waiting for tender material :)

Olá Rafael,

Be ready. weather models are predicting a cold front for the 19th.

It might get very close to freezing in your location, unless it rains, which is not yet clear.

So far, the lowest I had was 48F, (8.9C), but by January it will have dropped once or twice below 40F (4C ) for sure.

Sérgio

Edited by siafu

Algarve, Portugal

Zone 10.

Mediterranean Climate moderated by the Atlantic Ocean

I wish my weather man had been wrong. Woke up to 28 degrees this morning with heavy frost.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

We were warmer (not as cold) this morning. 44.1F out in the open, 46.5F under canopy. Carpoxylon decided to open a new leaf.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

i was warmer last night. showed 37. grass didnt have the morning frost crunchies this morning at 6 am. i watered yesterday around 2;30pm. seems like it helped with the frost

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Frost Cruchies is my favorite breakfast cereal. :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

frost crunchies give me plant burn

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Woke up to 40°F this morning, the coldest so far this winter. Water condensation on my car top but no frost.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

In the SF Bay area I've had morning lows at or near freezing for the past 3 days. I noticed today all of my tomato plants have turned brown, but are loaded with nicely formed green tomatoes. The Cannas are begining to turn black too.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Not too bad here yet. I still have my plumeria plants out in the open and two are still blooming. We did have a cold low of 37F two nights ago and 38F before that but no frost at all in my neck of the woods. Otherwise nothing below the 40s has been recorded. Nice sunny, balmy days for December so far.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Jim, you are lucky to have the humidity of the bay. It's been so dry lately, I guess I should be lucky in Rocklin that my bananas are still green, although frayed leafs above 15 ft are showing some signs of damage, Perhaps being up higher is colder since it's away from the heat source, the ground?

6th 32F

7th 32F

8th 33F

9th 31.3F

46.6f out in the open, 48.9f under canopy.

Looks like we're out of the woods for the rest of winter. :blink:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

with your temps you were never in the woods... im still in there, fighting with bears and wolves and eskimos. :blink:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

and eskimo pies too. racist.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Of course we are out of the woods for winter...we were out of the woods 10 months ago at the beginning of March. It's the winter that shows up next week that I'm worried about. :winkie:

Southside Vista

Measurements taken under no canopy at all and about 2 ft off the ground

Dec 4-9 2011

Sunday morning 35F no frost

Monday morning 36F with light "slushy almost frost" on cars only

Tuesday morning 36F no moisture at all.

Wednesday morning 32F no frost

Thursday morning 35F frost on cars and a small spot in the grass

Friday morning 36F Didn't get out to check for frost because I'm tired of being cold. :violin:

It sure seems like the lows for this area have dropped over the last couple of years. I have lived here for 11 years and do not remember so many nights in the 30's from 2000 to 2009. Last fall/winter was lower than I can remember (on average) and this fall (moving into this winter Matty :mrlooney: ) has already seen 10 plus days below 40F. There has been a lot of construction in the hills behind our neighborhood (scraped off all the natural vegetation and hill tops and replacing them with one giant building. I'm thinking that has affected the local micro climate. As Steve said ealier, "I need canopy"

Carl

Vista, CA

You need to lighten up on your meds Matt. face-icon-small-happy.gif

Oceanside and Carlsbad looking at near record lows tomorrow night, 33F. With all the moisture around, beware of the frosty grinch! <_<

Edited by nachocarl

Carl

Vista, CA

Sorry to hear about all the cold weather you've been having there--it seems like it can be feast or famine some years (metaphorically). Hope everything comes out ok. I'm always envious of So Cal's relative lack of frost and extreme low temps, but I know from the last 2 winters here that seemingly endless days of being well below normal can be even more discouraging than a quick nasty freeze. Hang in there!

Eric

St. Petersburg, FL

www.myspace.com/koolthing78

Oceanside and Carlsbad looking at near record lows tomorrow night, 33F. With all the moisture around, beware of the frosty grinch! <_<

Which weather site are you going by? I always use weather.com and for me in Oceanside it says 37 for tomorrow night....(i'm always around 1-3 degrees above the forecast ) so ill probably be around 39.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Which weather site are you going by? I always use weather.com and for me in Oceanside it says 37 for tomorrow night....(i'm always around 1-3 degrees above the forecast ) so ill probably be around 39.

Yahoo, and I think they pull their info from weather.com. They pushed the nasty low back until tomorrow night (Thursday), around 31F. I show 45F @ 5:00 here this morning.

Edited by nachocarl

Carl

Vista, CA

Yahoo, and I think they pull their info from weather.com. They pushed the nasty low back until tomorrow night (Thursday), around 31F. I show 45F @ 5:00 here this morning.

Yeah they can never seem to get it right, I was up at the same time this morning and I was at 48F. My wife uses yahoo and it always seems to be off. I haven't seen anything lower than 36F at my place so far but my in-laws 3 miles away in Vista got fried!

Yeah they can never seem to get it right, I was up at the same time this morning and I was at 48F. My wife uses yahoo and it always seems to be off. I haven't seen anything lower than 36F at my place so far but my in-laws 3 miles away in Vista got fried!

Weather forecasters in SoCal must have a really tough time, with all the different microclimates, where temps can vary over 10 degrees within a couple of miles. I guess sometimes you just have to ingnore the 'official' reports and go with what your own thermometer says...and how your plants look.

Chilly this morning, probably the coldest yet. Was 36F by 10:30 PM and 32F for at least 3 hours this morning with no frost and still 35F around 7:45 am. D. pembana looking spotty as well as Foxy, A. myolensis, alex, R. borinquena and full exsposure kentias. Seeing a lot of yellowing and brown tips, time for some supolmag.

Carl

Vista, CA

Coldest night of this winter so far

39.4 f out in the open

41.4 f under the jacaranda

Way too dry for frost

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

my car showed 38 at my house and 33 at the bottom of the hill. no frost. im thinking it was colder than 38. i dont know how accurate my cars therm. is.

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

30 on the patio and 32 under the orange tree in a cold pocket in Santa Barbara. Ice in the birdbath :(. Only a few nights this December have not been in the 30s.

I'm in a very odd microclimate here. We were VERY cold during the last event. Likely a bit below freezing on one or two nights at the lower parts of the garden as I have significant leaf browning on bananas and some damage to a few Pritchardias (Pritchardias burn easy, but grow out of it really fast). But last night was not really significant in comparison, no frost that I saw.

Last year was the same trend. The coldest night was the night after thanksgiving. For some reason the early season cool weak santa ana conditions really hit us hard, but later in the winter my temps are not that painful. Hopefully tonight won't prove me wrong.

Matt

San Diego

0.6 Acres of a south facing, gently sloped dirt pile, soon to be impenetrable jungle

East of Mount Soledad, in the biggest cold sink in San Diego County.

Zone 10a (I hope), Sunset 24

Frost\ Freeze Update

Actually with such low dew points [i.e. -9 in Santa Clarita] moisture may be lacking for frost. The other factor is the night winds. No doubt calm\ low-lying areas will drop below freezing. But at 8pm, some areas are still above 60F; my station is 58.8F. I need dead calm.

Here are NWS temp spread for tomorrow:

Low\ High

LA: 36\ 72

LAX: 38\69

Pasadena: 35\ 72

Woodland Hills: 28\ 75

Palmdale: 16\ 55 [2700']

Anaheim: 39\ 75

San Diego: 38\ 71

Oceanside: 28\ 70

Escondido: 31\ 73

Wrightwood: 18\ 46 [6000']

Palm Springs: 37\ 69

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

Freeze warning for san diego issued. They are calling for 20's and 30's in low lying areas. dew point is 35 right now so frost looks imminent.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Thanks for the heads up Matt. I'll be covering up tonight. :crying:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I'm lazy today, no covering up for me. Lets see what my plants can handle!

Yesterday got to 28.3° and the news made it sound ominous for today. Yet, upon waking it was 34.8° at 3 a.m., up from 31° at 3 a.m. yesterday.

I'm up early too. We have had a steady santa ana wind all night, not allowing it to cool off as much. Hopefully the low lying areas stayed windy too.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

The santa ana has lowered humidity so low that the dew point is down to 21 f, so frost is not likely, but if the wind dies down the temp could drop still

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"