IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

The first official freeze?

Gonzer

One thing that is not occurring is that normally during freeze periods (Jan '07 and Nov '10) the temperature will decrease steadily in increments of 1 degree every half hour or so. As with yesterday, today's temp is keeping a relative steady constant. Right now it is 33. 3º. Being the eternal optimist I take this as a good sign.

Here Spring Valley we got 41f out in the open, 43.5f under canopy. With relative humidities and dew points both in the teens, frost is not likely unless you watered your lawn.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Here Spring Valley we got 41f out in the open, 43.5f under canopy. With relative humidities and dew points both in the teens, frost is not likely unless you watered your lawn.

Southern Vista and a stones through away from Carlsbad 35F in the front yard with no canopy, the back yard I am guessing probably 37F with canopy. 35F is three degrees lower than expected for last night, tonight looks to break some records...27F. The test begins for a few species. :hmm:

Carl

Vista, CA

At just prior to 8 am my greenhouse is at 39F :(

I saw 37.6 in there late, around 2 am.

Looks Tues night will be the pain! terror. (actually, mid 30's thru thurs.) but Tues night I believe is at 27F !!! :angry:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

As Matty said frost should be unlikely with this cold event since it is so dry. If I remember, Jan 07 was just after a storm so there was a lot of moisture and frost associated with it. This brings up a question, what is the best way to prepare for below freezing temps when associated with dry conditions? I turned off all irrigation a couple of months ago, so things seem pretty dry. Is it better to keep palms thirsty during dry cold events, or should they be watered (drip) a bit. I seem to remember a thread that suggested watering before may help but I could not locate it.

Carl

Vista, CA

At just prior to 8 am my greenhouse is at 39F :(

I saw 37.6 in there late, around 2 am.

Looks Tues night will be the pain! terror. (actually, mid 30's thru thurs.) but Tues night I believe is at 27F !!! :angry:

time to bust out the halogens bill!

I haven't watered for two weeks, actually I haven't watered for over a month, but two weeks ago we got rain, anywho, i'm watering today because with these super low humidities and wind the soil is really dry. Not sure how that hurts or benefits regarding the extreme cold weather, but it seems like I need to water, so I am

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

First official freeze has not happened down here, YET. But it will happen any day not. Week between Christmas and New Years is when we traditionally get slammed, and slammed hard.

In my post I sometimes express "my" opinion. Warning, it may differ from "your" opinion. If so, please do not feel insulted, just state your own if you wish. Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or any other damages

Watering the garden, especially mulched areas, benefits by actually warming the ground. The water acts as an insulator against the drying effects of freezing weather. Cell walls that are engorged with water fare better than dehydrated ones. Just don't wet the leaves if possible. Evaporation also increases the humidity. Just spent a coupla hours plastic sheeting all the tenders, don't want things looking like Dali's painting.

CRI_151051.jpg

moved all my 15 gal kentias and gigas into the greenhouse today (major PAIN)...they JUST have started to recover from a freeze a year ago, and are looking good.

NOT gonna let 'em get burned up again over the next three nights...it was about 85F inside the greenhouse today, and it won't get below 50F in there (even with no heater), so it's all good!

i'm leaving them in there 'til 1st week of april.

oh man, it's too early for freeze talk. :( Hang in there guys. We are waaay warmer than exactly one year ago, which may mean either a warmer winter overall or a slap in the face come January. For a dry freeze you should cover with comforters or if dropping into the 20's you'll need to throw in some christmas lights.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Temp sensors always trip me out. I held a kestral weather station at my stomach height and got 54f. I held it at my head height and got 45f. Explain that.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Temp sensors always trip me out. I held a kestral weather station at my stomach height and got 54f. I held it at my head height and got 45f. Explain that.

Means your not Hot Headed? :D

I still don't understand how watering before a freeze/frost helps but I want to it if it works. My West facing planter is a bit dry and I'm not sure about getting potential ice in there before the 32F party tomorrow night.

Vince Bury

Zone 10a San Juan Capistrano, CA - 1.25 miles from coast.

http://www.burrycurry.com/index.html

I don't know how cold my backyard got but I got two damaged papaya leaves. My front yard weather station hit 34 last night. Tonight I put out the blankets with gallon jugs of hot water under them. It's already 41 out there. sick.gif

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Papaya leaves damage no matter what so no

worries there.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

hit 32 on the nose last night. frost on the grass frost on the blankets covering some of the plants. looks like the next few days will be the same. boo

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

I got 42.3f out in the open, 43.7f under canopy. I double checked my sensors with a traditional thermometer and I'm all calibrated correctly. Interestingly, I went out walking at about 11pm and it was 43f then, so it did not get any colder as the night went on, so the wind must have picked up.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I got 42.3f out in the open, 43.7f under canopy. I double checked my sensors with a traditional thermometer and I'm all calibrated correctly. Interestingly, I went out walking at about 11pm and it was 43f then, so it did not get any colder as the night went on, so the wind must have picked up.

show off!!! thanks for adding salt to my wound.... :lol:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

no problem. :lol:

It's awesome to feel the cold air rushing down the hillside, even if there's no "wind" the air is moving because of the slope. That's why they plant those Avocados on those steep hills in Escondido and that's why I bought my place. Now, if I go down into the bottom of the gully, that very bottom gets frost every year, but just walk up about 10 feet and it feels noticeably warmer....or less cold.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

no problem. :lol:

It's awesome to feel the cold air rushing down the hillside, even if there's no "wind" the air is moving because of the slope. That's why they plant those Avocados on those steep hills in Escondido and that's why I bought my place. Now, if I go down into the bottom of the gully, that very bottom gets frost every year, but just walk up about 10 feet and it feels noticeably warmer....or less cold.

its awesome to walk outside and feel absolutly no air flow. just a dead still ice box. the only cold air i feel rushing down is coming straight from above and sitting in my yard. maybe i should have gone with the frozen tundra look instead of tropical.... i need a canopy!!! :angry:

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

Canopy is the best! Paul's yard is usually the same temperature as my yard now, even though when you go over to his place and get out of your car it's freezing out at the street!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

If I need to start a new thread for this please let me know since I feel like I'm hijacking this one a bit, but could any of you guys recommend a good brand/model etc. for outdoor temperature monitoring? I'd like to get some set up at my place so that I can get a more accurate temperature reading than the ones from the official weather stations here in Oceanside. Thanks.

I use an Oregon Scientific. It has a base station that I keep next to my bed and I have 3 remote sensors that transmit back to the base station, which keeps track of the hi and low temps, barometric pressure, humidity. I keep one sensor in the greenhouse, one under canopy, and one out in the open. I love it!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

That's why they plant those Avocados on those steep hills in Escondido

Matty, you are an absolute plethora of hereto unbeknownst factoids. I did-not-know this. Thanks! 1Applause.gif

gonzer why do you sound so much like bs man all of a sudden? :blink:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

anywho

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

knock on wood

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

the way I like to describe it...

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I'm a firm believer in....

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

ahhhhhh BS Man is inside of my head! :blink:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I use an Oregon Scientific. It has a base station that I keep next to my bed and I have 3 remote sensors that transmit back to the base station, which keeps track of the hi and low temps, barometric pressure, humidity. I keep one sensor in the greenhouse, one under canopy, and one out in the open. I love it!

I use my old house thermostat outside my window. I think I need an upgrade!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!