IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Summer Down Under

Pedro 65

Dry as a D...D....D in Childers, no rain there for all of November.

Will be over for a a couple of weeks at Christmas prior to the big move in March.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

50 mls of pure rich sky juice today, absolutely fantastic.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Will be over for a a couple of weeks at Christmas prior to the big move in March.

Bruce

Big move? For good, Bruce?

It has been raining almost every day... not big fall, but enough to keep everything wet. The weeds are growing as we speak..... I missed one weekend of mowing and the place looked like it hasn't been mowed for months. Hhhhmmm... I know what I would be doing on the weekend.... :rolleyes:

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Bruce

It has been raining almost every day... not big fall, but enough to keep everything wet. The weeds are growing as we speak..... I missed one weekend of mowing and the place looked like it hasn't been mowed for months. Hhhhmmm... I know what I would be doing on the weekend.... :rolleyes:

Yep, this is the move for good, just trying to get the 40' container organized. It's going to cost about twice as much to get it through customs and to Childers than from San Diego to Brisbane. the bonded Customs Warehouse is chaging about $1750.00 just to unload it and AQIS $290.00 per hour inspection fee.

About 95% of the cycads have been sold (25,000 plants) and there has been a crew of about 15 digging the last 2,000 of the inground stock this week.

Bruce

Now living the life in Childers, Queensland.

34C yesterday and low humidity, and 35C today with low humidity and easterly winds. Got the sprinklers going now trying to juice things up. 36C tomorrow and Sunday with thunderstorms forecast for Sunday night, then humidity again and even some rain.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Almost as hot as here, Ty. Although... the humidity is probably nowhere near as high?? Only 5.3mm yesterday... but the garden is singing and happy. Time to do more mowing and cleaning up around the place.... I swear, the weeds are having a party out there now....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Bruce

Yep, this is the move for good, just trying to get the 40' container organized. It's going to cost about twice as much to get it through customs and to Childers than from San Diego to Brisbane. the bonded Customs Warehouse is chaging about $1750.00 just to unload it and AQIS $290.00 per hour inspection fee.

About 95% of the cycads have been sold (25,000 plants) and there has been a crew of about 15 digging the last 2,000 of the inground stock this week.

Bruce

Yes yes, its all about you.....but I want to know what you are bringing for me ? Since the downpour on thursday, (42mm) that I had to drive home from the city in, the temps have been in the high 20s, with cool nights...exactly how I like it. No rain since however. At least those horrible hot days in the mid 30s are gone for a while, along with the dreadful warm humid nights. To make things totally perfect, the bogans who rented the house next door for the last few months, have packed up moved on !!

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

It was around 36, 37C all weekend. Yesterday the wind dropped out and thunder clouds moved in. Got a few drops, but most of the rain fell as virga, evaporating before it hit the ground. You could see it happening everywhere. Nights have been in the low twenties. Today is going to be 33C with the odd thunderstorm around. It's cloudy at the moment. It's not as humid as I expected it would be and nowhere near Darwin's humidity levels either, but good for Perth. Palms are dropping old leaves at a rate of knots as they burst into full throttle growth. My Majestic has dropped 4 fronds this last week.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

A bit of rain overnight and localised storms. Not enough to actually do anything. It got to 35C yesterday. Been a hot start to summer. Some rain forecast for the next few days and high twenties during the day.

Just checked the radar and it's about to bucket any minute. Big thunderstorm cell coming down from the north full of lightening on the storm tracker thing. I was meant to plant up a garden at 7.30am this morning. That may have to go on hold until it clears.

Forecast for Tuesday A few showers with a thunderstorm or two. Possible heavy falls, damaging gustsand hail this afternoon. Generally E'ly winds, variable in the afternoon.

This could get nasty. :(

I think I might be cancelling outdoor work today.

Potentially severe storms for Perth

Douglas Fenton, Tuesday December 6, 2011 - 09:42 EDTA cluster of storms is dropping south towards Perth this morning, bringing the potential for flash flooding, large hail and damaging winds.

The Bureau of Meteorology issued a severe storm warning early on Tuesday for an area bounded by Jurien Bay, Mount Magnet, Leinster, Hyden, Dwellingup and the coast.

The storms have been triggered by a slow moving low pressure system, which will linger over southwestern WA today.

A low pressure trough brought scattered falls to the Perth area overnight, with the airport gaining 7mm to 6am. This is their heaviest rain in a month and just 3mm shy of the long term December total average rainfall.

Perth is likely to push well above the average monthly rain today, with 10-20mm expected. Atmospheric conditions are very unstable over the city, bringing a high likelihood of storms throughout the day. There is plenty of moisture available to storms, which means that localised falls of 20-50mm are possible.

On Wednesday, a high will move in and stabilise conditions, bringing an end to early storms. Showers are likely to ease and tend to isolated before clearing in the afternoon as the low tracks further east into South Australia.

Yesterday we received around 30mm of rain, around 3 times the December average and the wettest Dec day since 1983. The thunder storms were hanging around continuously all day and some of the blasts shook the house to it's foundations. Definitely very unusual for the west coast in summer. More rain forecast for the entire week too. The garden will be loving it. :)

After a very long dry Spring......we have finally received some lovely soaking rain over the past couple of days, it has been quite cool with the maximum only reaching 26 degrees C but I'm not complaining.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Didnt get past 16c today,very cold, very light rain and no sun for past 3 days, all palms been fed with long term and quick hit fertilisers over last few weeks to gear them up for fantastic growth this summer, above average rainfall predicted for this summer autumn.

A freezing 17 max today. I sat and shivered in sox and trakkies but still felt cold. However on the plus side, there's been 30mm of good steady rain so far and it's soaking in perfectly. There's not even a puddle in the yard so at last it may rehydrate after the long dry spell.

Peachy

27.35 south.

A freezing 17 max today. I sat and shivered in sox and trakkies but still felt cold. However on the plus side, there's been 30mm of good steady rain so far and it's soaking in perfectly. There's not even a puddle in the yard so at last it may rehydrate after the long dry spell.

Peachy

Peachy, You need to get yourself a "Snuggie" :lol:

-Randy

post-1035-016787100 1323264696_thumb.jpg

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Peachy

That is really weird freezing weather for Dec, especially for QLD. That's colder than your winter days!!! Hopefully the heat will return soon.

The clouds are still hanging around and there is a possibility of afternoon rain today and a top in the mid to high twenties. So far it's been a hot, wet December here.

It was only 17.8C here today...a new record (coldest December day ever recorded here)... However, the 67mm was very welcome!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

a 5 hour storm dumped just over 30mm of rain but brought with it 90kph winds and thunder bad enough to shake the house. Pretty scary afternoon. I had just spent a couple of days picking up fallen fronds and now I have another yard full to contend with. The internet dropped out for a while, then the power went off too. This is the time of year that I wished I lived anywhere but bloody Qld. Not very hot, only got to 28, but so humid it was like trying to breathe underwater. Supposed to be more storms late tonight and again tomorrow.

Peachy

27.35 south.

a 5 hour storm dumped just over 30mm of rain but brought with it 90kph winds and thunder bad enough to shake the house. Pretty scary afternoon. I had just spent a couple of days picking up fallen fronds and now I have another yard full to contend with. The internet dropped out for a while, then the power went off too. This is the time of year that I wished I lived anywhere but bloody Qld. Not very hot, only got to 28, but so humid it was like trying to breathe underwater. Supposed to be more storms late tonight and again tomorrow.

Peachy

Been watching the radar across the whole country in the one Australian image and the whole eastern seaboard has been lit up with thunder storm cells and heavy rain, as well as an awakening monsoon up in the Territory and even clouds and rain coming from a decayed cyclone over the Indian Ocean coming down over the west coast. It was a fully cloudy 32C yesterday and it stayed really warm lastnight. Today we've had some precipitation and it's cloudy expecting intensifying rain and thunderstorms tonight and tomorrow. We already have over double the normal Dec rainfall and more is on the way. Not used to this. Normally by Dec there isn't a cloud in the sky. Plants are loving these mild cloudy days. Perth is about 2.7C above average so far for Dec.

The Capricornia district has received some good falls in the past few days and nights due to mainly thunderstorm activity. Currently around 32 degrees C with 85% humidity and looks like another buildup for this afternoon.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland

Another hot day and so humid I couldnt do a damn thing outside. On the plus side, 138mm of rainfall in the last 7 days, cant complain about that.

Peachy

27.35 south.

It's coming down hard now. Had a really heavy downpour around 5pm which flooded my driveway and carport. Loving this summer rain. Perth is surrounded by thunderstorms and lightening at the moment. I had to take a run down the freeway tonight and combined with the multinova cameras, there were flashes everywhere. :)

Tyrone

The official Perth station recorded 43.6mm of rain overnight. 38mm of that fell between 10pm and 11pm most of it within the first 20 minutes of that period. The official Dec rainfall must be close to 80mm so far and the average is about 7- 11mm depending on your locale in the Perth area.

We may be turning into the wet subtropics. :D

Tyrone

Here in Port Macquarie the weather has been cool to warm at best for the most part. Almost 2meters of rain over the last 12 months and the garden is looking quite good. My heat loving palms are struggling with little growth sence last May, but they look healthy enough. The old coconut will need some lengthy hot weeks for it to recover so that if next winter proves to be another cold wet one, it'll be able to pull through. Of the four coconut palms that I know of growing in Port, two of them have gone. Not sure if it was the weather that kill them off, or there owners got fed up with there ugly looks, and removed them. I must admit I thought about removing mine but I will let nature make the ultimate decision.

Just checked the air temp outside and its 19.5 and overcast with a southerly wind blowing,fortunately I'am shelter from the wind as it would be even cooler with the wind chill.

Cheers

Mike

Port Macquarie NSW Australia

Warm temperate to subtropical

Record low of -2C at airport 2006

Pushing the limit of palm survivabilities

It was a cool day today around 24, 25C with ocassional drizzle. Not used to this in December. Back to normal weather next week. We've already had twice our average summer rainfall and ten times our Dec avg rainfall. We've exceeded our yearly rainfall now and are up to 860mm.

Well we're certainly copping the rain over here. The met service is predicting 500mm + in the mountains. Thankfully I'm up on the hill becuase the river is flooding down below and there are numerous evacuations going on. We're getting a relentless moist feed from New Caledonia.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

The Marlborough region has been hammered, hope you are not one of the ones that has been washed away Mike.

Sun is poking through the clouds today after 4 days of rain here in Auckland. Good for the garden, but not good if you work outside and need to get things done before Xmas.

Michael

Auckland

New Zealand

www.nznikau.com

http://nzpalmandcycad.com

Our valley is virtually unscathed but other areas of Nelson and Golden Bay in particular not so lucky.

Oceanic Climate

Annual Rainfall:1000mm

Temp Range:2c-30c

Aotearoa

Glad you are okay Mike,I saw all the mud and sludge on the tv and know just how awful it is in reality. Meanwhile, here in the slums of Brisbane, its been warm and humid for a week but no further rain since the last good falls. Tonight is hot and very muggy so it should pour down soon. The ground is already starting to develop cracks again even though its not that long since it had 100mm fall on it. Don't ask me where it all goes to.

Peachy

27.35 south.

Typical December Perth weather here now. High teens at night, around 30C in the day, blue skies and a seabreeze in the arvo. It was quite sticky today for Perth with dewpoints around 17C. Nice and calm at the moment.

looks like Babinda will win rainfall record again this year with something over 5.7m .

we are up to over 5.5m in Tully .. will report back after seeing figures in todays paper .

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

How did get it so wrong ? :unsure:

Tully has just made it over 5m so far for the year :rolleyes:

So unless we get very heavy downpours in the next week ..

Daishy in Babinda wins the Mouldy Umbrella Award :winkie:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Sunny and hot here. 32C and slight breeze. Blue skies. High teens at night. Warming up to 37C by Wednesday.

Hot, muggy as hell but only 2mm of rain in the last week. So much for all the forecasts for a wet week. Supposed to be a storm today but I am running the sprinklers anyhow....for some strange reason I dont have much faith in the weather forecasts lately.

Peachy

27.35 south.

We had a bit of rain here Christmas night which was nice......very humid here today with a few showers around. I just hope it isn't pouring rain when I drive to Brisbane on New Years Eve.

Andrew,

Tropical Queensland