IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dave's Garden

DALION

Dave's Garden is a website with just about every plant imagineable. The site gives info of plant height, spacing, hardiness, and sun exposure. Along with comments by some of the members. One guy, "PalmBob," formally known as "BotanyBob," lives in So Cal and has comments on almost every palm. My question is has/does anyone use(d) this site. I only ask since there is tons of info and I don't know if this information is reliable but it looks legit.

I am a subscriber, and yes, the info is reliable. It gives reviews, and I usually look at several reviews to make up my mind since some of the info is subjective. But, it gives a general idea of hardiness and tolerance.

Begonias are my thing. I've been growing and selling them for three decades, nearly two in Tampa Bay. NPR is an bhour N of St Pete, coast

I use it all the time. Most of the time when googling a new plant I check there first, as the pictures and comments are really helpful

Keith 

Palmetto, Florida (10a) and Tampa, Florida (9b/10a)

Dalion, thanks for bringing this up. I have always wondered who is PalmBob and if he is a member here. But what I want to ask is, when they state the height of the plant/palm, why do they state several heights???

Patricia

I found out a little about PalmBob who's real name is Geoff Stein who is a member of the Palm Society of Southern California and the author of the Palms for Southern California (link for info on the book) which is a very good palm guide for us So Cal. residents. I guess I should sign up for Dave's Garden. Thanks for the info.

It really is a great site.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Palmbob/Geoff is a regular contributor here on Palmtalk. I believe he is Geoff, here.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 3 months later...

80% of what I do on Dave's Garden is read Geoff's comments and look at his photos. And I find that to be valuable enough that when I'm looking up an unfamiliar species of palms I go there first. There are a couple of other great contributors there, but there are also some that post questionable info. I found some of the zone info to be often unreliable, at least for me in Sarasota.

I use Dave's Garden all the time for non palm plants. Floridata is another good site but is Florida oriented as the name suggests.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

I've been on Daves Garden for several years. One thing about their plant database you have to be careful with is inaccuracies. One time I picked up Geoff (Palmbob) on a photo he put into the database labelled Livistona inermis but it was clearly Livistona humilis. They wouldn't change it saying he was the expert. However, going back a few months later I noticed it had been changed, quietly. Happened with other plants as well. But generally you can get corrections put into their database. But just be aware there are errors, it's not exactly the Kew Gardens Index.

• 4 months later...

No it's not... but we try hard. Still, it is by far the largest single collection of palm photos on the web... and MOST of them are correctly identified (but if you find a mistake let me know so I can correct (as I did with the L inermis photo) it as soon as possible.

Geoff

I also agree.

It is a wonderful site with more information then I will ever be able to handle.

And thanks to Geoff and others there are endless pictures to browse thru.

Raymond

• 4 months later...

I like this site also :wub: All pictures that are submitted for upload they get inspected prior to this!

Edited by Phoenikakias