IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Wollemi Pines in Fl

edbrown_III

I have a fiew conifers and like Araucarias especially. Some one is selling Wollemi pines

Anyone try therse in FL--- I am dying to buy one but dont want to just kill it in the heat. Alot of stuff like Chilean Monkey puzzles dont make it here (tho A. angustifolia does)

Any wisdom out there --- it sure is a beautiful tree

Best regards

Ed

Keep it in a container. There is a fungus in the soil that will kill them, just like A. araucana. Use a good well drained mix and give it good air circulation.

I think there are experiments grafting them onto Araucaria or Agathis so maybe grafted Wollemi will grow here one day.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Araucaria araucanas are hopeless here in inland southern California but the Wollemi pines do great here, so you might have some luck there with them.

• 3 years later...

I don't care, when I get the chance I will try as hard as I can to get one of these to grow here in the FL Panhandle. Wonder how the ones in Animal Kingdom at WDW are doing?

Edited by Opal92

The ones at AK have long since perished, Epcot too. They are a no-go in FL unless grafted.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

From what I have heard, they are quite cold tolerant, but not heat and humidity tolerant...a no go for warmer climates

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

They favor acidic soils too. If you visit the wollemi pine wbsite you will get an idea about the plants tolerances. It is being trialed all over the world.

We have acidic soil but just have too long of a hot, sultry summer and too many thriving soil fungi. They grow well in the cooler months but start declining once the heat/humidity starts and die before summer is over. I know Disney tried at least 30 and we tried over a dozen here at Leu Gardens, sun and shade. The only one I kept alive more than a year was in a container in the greenhouse. There it was cooled in the summer and had good air circulation. But after 3 years it went too.

I know others have been tried in FL with no success. The only ones I have ever heard of surviving on the East Coast is at the Smithsonian in Washington, D.C. But there they get cold damage in severe winters and I believe several have been killed by cold there.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

plant in my yard in Tarzana… now in Acton and still alive, but struggling with summer heat and sun

post-426-0-28942500-1440699497_thumb.jpg

This is a plant at the Huntington (they have about 10 of these around the place, but this is about the tallest I think)

post-426-0-42413500-1440699529_thumb.jpg

I have never seen a good looking, well grown specimen in Queensland's tropics or warm subtropics.

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I have never seen a good looking, well grown specimen in Queensland's tropics or warm subtropics.

They were big in the horticultural industry in Qld when they were first released but haven't seen one for years now.... A definate no go only 1000 km's ( approx 600 miles I think ? ) from where they were discovered growing naturally

• 2 years later...

I had a beautful Wolemmi that grew to 6' in my sunroom.  When we were away the heating system failed and killed it.  I have been looking for a few years for a small tree, cutting, seeds or branch!  Any ideas where I can find one???

Thanks!!!