IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is it me or is this thing getting BIG ?

BS Man about Palms

NO I am not pointing out all my weeds in the previous picture! (no one needs help for that... :P )

But Dypsis sp. slick willy on my right, and Dypsis big curley/prestoniana on my left.

post-27-0-48935300-1340560435_thumb.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Monster Slick Willy

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I agree with Len, that slick willy is looking pretty healthy and so is the prestoniana. Luckily the palms are getting bigger and not you Bill.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

:wub:

NO I am not pointing out all my weeds in the previous picture! (no one needs help for that... :P )

But Dypsis sp. slick willy on my right, and Dypsis big curley/prestoniana on my left.

post-27-0-48935300-1340560435_thumb.jpg

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Glad I got a chance to see them a few months ago. Looking good Bill!

• Like 1

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Those are some beauty specimens for sure bill, thanks for the update! something I need to do soon also....Love that Big Curly...

FINS UP!!!

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

that was nice of Wal to come over and stand in the pic for scale

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

In all seriousness, youre looking pretty fit Mr. Sanford!

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Would you believe I had an Oraniopsis planted BETWEEN them? (Thanks to Matt, Len and Gary for telling me I was nuts... again)

Yes Matty.. a good day I guess :) thks

• Like 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

that was nice of Wal to come over and stand in the pic for scale

:floor:
  • Like 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Bill, Are they still in box prisons?

• Like 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Bill and I have been loosing lots of poundage in preparation for the big 2012 Thailand Biennial Walk the Runway Bathing Suit Competion.

A few simple rules apply;

You must be 50 years old, or older, or AT LEAST look 50 years old.

Have had to loose at least 20 pounds pryor to arrival.

And...has lost most of yer hair on the ole head.

( Bill, this pretty much narrows it down to you and I only!) :yay:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Looks great Bill, you lucky dewd!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

Bill and I have been loosing lots of poundage in preparation for the big 2012 Thailand Biennial Walk the Runway Bathing Suit Competion.

A few simple rules apply;

You must be 50 years old, or older, or AT LEAST look 50 years old.

Have had to loose at least 20 pounds pryor to arrival.

And...has lost most of yer hair on the ole head.

( Bill, this pretty much narrows it down to you and I only!) :yay:

I sssoooooooooooooooo wanna argue with you..!

Just for the record......... nah..

nevermind..all lame excuses

. hahaha

And Randy, not a prison... they have been set ffrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee from their pots! :)

• Like 1

• 5 years later...

A bump goes here..

20170625_192159.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

Whoa, nellie!

What is that a Prestoniana?

(Fingers sweatily typing out a Floribunda order.)

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Holy prestoniana Batman!

Paradise Hills, 4 miles inland, south facing slope in the back, north facing yard in the front

It's the Big Curley version of prestoniana. It appears there are several versions and this one is the most robust.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, BS Man about Palms said:

It's the Big Curley version of prestoniana. It appears there are several versions and this one is the most robust.

I have read and heard discussed the "OCWS" and "Big Curly" "versions" of D prestoniana, but I didn't realize there were more to get us to several.  Are there additional varieties and what distinguishes them either of the two above, which are challenging to distinguish other than color in a greenhouse (you mention in at least one string, you identify OCWS as more "yellow" spears than the green emergent spear in Big Curly) and speed of growth?

• Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

I've got two growing fairly close together separated by a vein of blue rock. Once they reached a decent size, they looked somewhat different, at least to me. One has closely spaced basal leaves while the other has widely spaced leaflets. One is faster growing, although not by much, and has considerably more swollen leaf sheathes and is more robust. The smaller also has much more brown tomentum at the base of the petiole, especially on the newer growth. One has already flowered a couple of times the smaller one has not.

Then some days I can look at them and think that the species just exhibits variable traits......sigh.

They are both monsters at 7 years old.

Tim

• Upvote 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Spectacular Bill, that thing's gotten bigger than when I was there last. Which wasn't all that long ago.

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

13 hours ago, Tracy said:

I have read and heard discussed the "OCWS" and "Big Curly" "versions" of D prestoniana, but I didn't realize there were more to get us to several.  Are there additional varieties and what distinguishes them either of the two above, which are challenging to distinguish other than color in a greenhouse (you mention in at least one string, you identify OCWS as more "yellow" spears than the green emergent spear in Big Curly) and speed of growth?

We gotta get you on FaceBook to join the International Palm Society page. Suchin Marcus has posted several great palm pics of all types of stuff. Including prestoniana versions, most have red fruit, their largest one has orange fruit just the same as mine.

• Like 1

Oh yeah, Thanks for the kind words of some luck on my behalf. I knew it was getting big, but when I saw the pic of me next to it I was quite surprised too!!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, richnorm said:

You have fruit on that?!

This was it infruition about 15 months ago. The middle of 3 spathes. I cut off the first and third. 

20160303_090644.thumb.jpg.698535b2713f2d

One of the ones I cut off give you some scale...

spatheedit.thumb.jpg.1cd030242949a0f14f8

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1