IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Pictures of Madagascar 2011

Justin

And Paris too, in case you hadn't noticed.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Superb, exquisite, magnificent, running out of superlatives. :) I am transported.

You got some absolutely incredible lemur pix. Didn't their little finger pads feel so soft? And the Baobabs, I can't stop looking at the Baobabs...

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Justin,

"Captivating" doesn't even begin to describe what you have managed to accomplish through your outstanding photography! The scenery, the animals (amazing!), the plants and trees (those baobab landscapes - wow! Like it's on a different planet!) and the people! Extraordinary! :) Thanks for an amazing journey! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Pretty sweet Justin! Great photos and a tortoise to boot. Those Lemurs are such amazing looking animals.

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Wonderful photos of a remarkable trip! Makes the hours on the plane and funds spent seem unimportant and reinforces my wish to get there someday. I have four very tiny baobabs grown from seed. The tallest is less than 2 feet, but perhaps many generations from now they'll grow into monsters. Not likely that anything else I did the day I planted those would be around to matter then.... So today I'll plant some seeds (Theobroma bicolor) and hope to affect the future in a positive way. Thanks so much for sharing photos of your adventure!

Cindy Adair

Thanks so much for posting these incredible pictures of your trip. Are all the pictures of the monkeys different kinds of lemurs? Do you know how many different kinds you took pictures of-they are all so interesting. But what really caught my attention in the animal dept was that brown animal that was right after the first set of lemurs. It was laying on the ground like a dog, but i don't think it was? Do you know what it is? How big was it? I don't think that I have ever seen an animal like it before

Love the baobabs-nothing like it, they are amazing.

Kahili, with the exception of the animal you noted laying on the ground, the other animals are all lemurs. Some are called lemurs, some are called Sifakas, but they are all related. As I recall, there are 5 families, with 1 being in its own family and the whole rest being split among the 4 families based on certain criteria.

The animal laying on the ground is a fossa, which is the only real predator for lemurs. It's not really a canine or a feline, but instead related to the mongoose. It can climb trees and jump through branches quite well, chasing after lemurs. They are very hard to spot, as they generally don't like coming anywhere near humans.

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Thanks Justin-very interesting. It was kind of hard to tell whether it was a tame or semi-tame animal because it looks like it was just sort of lounging around, unafraid of humans, But there was also a predatory look to it. There is a large lemur study /conservation center here at Duke University. Your pictures have inspired me to go check it out! http://lemur.duke.edu/