IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Codiaeum variegatum

Moose

Ron, thank you very much for your info. Jeff is my palm mentor, so probably he's going to become my croton mentor as well :winkie: I didn't know about Bob. Interesting. I've been to PalmPedia and watched all of the croton photos they have, one by one. I've been gathering some new ones, here and there, and am planning on buying more in a few days when going to some nurseries recommended by Jeff.

You guys amaze me. You do know much more about plants in CR than all of us, Costa Ricans. :D

Patricia, Bob is the same guy who is taking care of my Dictyocaryum lamarckianum seedlings. When you go visit him to get one of my palms, ask Bob about his Crotons and I'm sure he will give you a tour. He loves Crotons as much as I love palms. :)

• Upvote 1

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

More beauties! Looks like I need to buy the farm (literally, not figuratively) next door to have room to plant everything I like!!

Cindy Adair

More beauties! Looks like I need to buy the farm (literally, not figuratively) next door to have room to plant everything I like!!

Cindy - if you could swing it, now would be a good time to do it. I'll bet you would run out of room though ... :lol:

Well - here are some more ... :P

post-1729-089999300 1323875524_thumb.jpg

post-1729-071265200 1323875560_thumb.jpg

post-1729-093487600 1323875600_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Cindy - if you could swing it, now would be a good time to do it. I'll bet you would run out of room though ... :lol:

Well - here are some more ... :P

Thanks for more lovely photos! I did get a great deal from Southwest airlines recently that MAY allow me to fly free to Florida sometime. Now I have to pick a time to see a great palm sale PLUS bromeliads and orchids and crotons and flowering/fruiting trees.... I don't have any connection to Southwest airlines, but when they sent me a credit card offer a couple of months ago for 50,000 points if I paid $69 for 1 year on their credit card and charged one item. Now I've booked a free ($10 total, no taxes or other fees)roundtrip to see our daughter in California and can get another free roundtrip with points left over for another one way ticket.. Now I just need to earn time off from work, money to buy plants to fill my 2 free checked bags, etc..... Please excuse my ramblings, but your photos and the cold weather in Virginia made me yearn to travel.

Cindy Adair

A steady high of 80 degree weather right on through the week......... :D

Shorts,tee shirt, drive w/ the windows down, working up a little bit of sweat, etc.....

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I planted a few cultivars a couple months ago to our collection that are very nice;

'Johanna Coppinger'

img_0014.jpg

'Mango'- the new leave emereges bright orange then fades to green then dark red maroon

img_0018.jpg

'Sun Ray'

img_0020.jpg

• Upvote 1

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Eric,

Nice plants. The last one is Edwin T. Meredith with its slightly reddish-pink petioles. Sunray is all yellow and green without a hint of red.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

• 2 weeks later...

Eric,

Nice plants. The last one is Edwin T. Meredith with its slightly reddish-pink petioles. Sunray is all yellow and green without a hint of red.

Ray

Thanks !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

Very nice Eric! B) How many different cultivars are in the collection?

Here are a few more photos since I'm already posting ... :wub:

post-1729-059756800 1325604671_thumb.jpgpost-1729-022466100 1325604741_thumb.jpgpost-1729-048916200 1325604795_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

An uncommon glimspe of the Moose in Moose Land. Photos are by FM Rob (Borgy230).

.post-1729-083592300 1326710038_thumb.jpg.post-1729-002595200 1326710197_thumb.jpg.post-1729-070902600 1326710334_thumb.jpg

More photos of Moose Land & many others are found at the croton forum at Palmpedia.net :DCROTON FORUM

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yea!!! The landscaping is just beautiful in some of those shots. :D Love to see some more.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Yea!!! The landscaping is just beautiful in some of those shots. :D Love to see some more.

:mrlooney: .

post-1729-091884300 1338975192_thumb.jpgpost-1729-025043800 1338975244_thumb.jpgpost-1729-063665700 1338975282_thumb.jpg

post-1729-079181200 1338975320_thumb.jpgpost-1729-080799700 1338975363_thumb.jpg

• 10 months later...

This is a great post. I have never appreciated crotons considering the only thing we have on the coast. This has given me a new opinion and makes me want to get mine in shape...I will start fertilizing mañana!

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Hi Scott, What's the name of you're fav in 65#? Really nice, is it Puccini? I gotta know & I do want one. Do you have one for trade???

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Hi Scott, What's the name of you're fav in 65#? Really nice, is it Puccini? I gotta know & I do want one. Do you have one for trade???

Randy, That one is still out for a ID. The plant was saved from a local old home teardown. At this time I do not have one for trade. But may by the end of summer.

• 4 months later...

Randy, That one is still out for a ID. The plant was saved from a local old home teardown. At this time I do not have one for trade. But may by the end of summer.

OK Scott, It's the end of the summer. What can I give you for it???

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

OK Scott, It's the end of the summer. What can I give you for it???

Scott ? Randy has some very nice cultivars for trading. I am sure he will be attending the Garden Tour at the Glocks in Ft. Myers. :hmm:

Sorry Randy, I did not propagate this plant this year. Remind me in the spring to propagate the "Citrus Park" (that's what I have been calling this one until the day it gets a proper ID). The plant is a very slow grower with only 1 growth flush per year. I will have to do something with it next spring. The plant has been overtaken by it's neighboring Crotons.

Edited by Tampa Scott

Sorry Randy, I did not propagate this plant this year. Remind me in the spring to propagate the "Citrus Park" (that's what I have been calling this one until the day it gets a proper ID). The plant is a very slow grower with only 1 growth flush per year. I will have to do something with it next spring. The plant has been overtaken by it's neighboring Crotons.

Randy,Ron, I lean to the D.Ortegas/W.Craig for true id in the plant myself.