IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Codiaeum variegatum

Moose

You shrink the photos too much. Would love to see bigger version, please...

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Palm jewelry :D

post-1035-051649600 1321411450_thumb.jpg

post-1035-056409100 1321411515_thumb.jpg

post-1035-083768400 1321411612_thumb.jpg

post-1035-084267900 1321411655_thumb.jpg

post-1035-071718500 1321411680_thumb.jpg

post-1035-032514000 1321411821_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Simply wonderful plants. I love them. Gorgeous specimens.

Patricia - some of these photos are from gardens in Costa Rica. :drool:

Ari - having computer issues. I'll try to figure out why they are being down sized on auto. :badday:

Some of these images can be found on the Croton Forum @Palmpedia.net :winkie:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

Ron, you are the croton ambassador.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Interesting data, thanks! Love them. I used to have a big collection in San Carlos, but when we moved, everything stayed there. Now, I'm trying to make another one here.

Patricia

Group,

Andrea and I are hosting a Croton garden tour here at the house this saturday, which will start at 10;30am and go well into the afternoon. We are expecting the largest crowd ever for one of these garden tours. Lots of good food, drinks and by far the largest collection of extreamly rare and hard to find crotons will be brought for silent auction. For those of you that own a copy of Crotons of the World, written by B. Frank Brown, many of the crotons mentioned in the book will make their way to the auction. Who knows, maybe the Godfather himself, will make his way there and show up. He's 94 years old now, and in relatively good health still.And hopefully Ryan will get some good pictures.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Would love to get my hands on some of the gorgeous Crotons in Frank's book........his book has been drool material for me for many years :drool:

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Would love to get my hands on some of the gorgeous Crotons in Frank's book........his book has been drool material for me for many years :drool:

Jeff Searle is good friends with Dr. Frank Brown. Earlier this year Jeff arranged a pilgrimage for some of us crotonheads to Dr. Brown's home. It was amazing how extemely witty he is at 94. We got him to sign our books. Some of us had his original croton book (really hard to locate), Florida's Beautiful Crotons that was published in 1960 for him to sign as well.

Some who made the trek: Jim & Judy Glock (long time IPS members, attendees at many a Biennel), Chris Mayhew (nephew of famous croton hybridizer Henry Coppinger), Rob van der Borg (Forum Member), Jeff and myself. We also visited long time associate of Frank Brown (and seen often in the Book) - Cleo Millare at his nursery. :)

Personally, I am bringing 20+ large air layered plants that are found in Frank Brown's book for the silent auction that Jeff mentioned in this thread. All plants with starting bids under $10. Hopefully some "newbies" can get a jump on starting their collection very reasonably. Bringing: Eburneum, Charles Rutherford, Queen Victoria, Yellow Mrs. Iceton, Twist & Point, Pink Eburneum, Robert Lavalois, Andreanum, Davis #1, Fishbone, Fred Sanders, Dr. Frank Brown, Gloriosa, Reliance, Stewarti, Van Buren, Ram's Horn, and Golden Glow. You can see all these plants at Palmpedia.net on the croton forum. in the Fall Croton Meeting and Tour thread. :greenthumb:

Now a return to more landscape photos ... :wub:

post-1729-029921500 1321538050_thumb.jpg

post-1729-042604100 1321538090_thumb.jpg

post-1729-063187400 1321538130_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I haven't met Frank personally but have had a bit to do with him when I was President of The International Tropical Foliage and Garden Society. He was our overseas Patron, a real Statesman and Gentleman of the global tropical garden world.

Edited by Tropicgardener

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

I haven't met Frank personally but have had a bit to do with him when I was President of The International Tropical Foliage and Garden Society. He was our overseas Patron, a real Statesman and Gentleman of the global tropical garden world.

Andrew - That is a perfect desciption of Dr. Frank Brown. :blush:

Some more landscape photos ... :wub:

post-1729-044733800 1321869934_thumb.jpg

post-1729-027373800 1321870033_thumb.jpg

post-1729-032833800 1321870071_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Just as I'm overwhelmed by the bromeliads and heliconias, crotons seem to come in endless varieties--all beautiful. There are many on our farm in Puerto Rico and I don't know any of their names. I guess this is a good place to start. Anyone know this one's name?

post-4111-045925600 1322501958_thumb.jpg

post-4111-044026600 1322501975_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cindy Adair

Looks like cultivar Irene Kingsley.

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Just as I'm overwhelmed by the bromeliads and heliconias, crotons seem to come in endless varieties--all beautiful. There are many on our farm in Puerto Rico and I don't know any of their names. I guess this is a good place to start. Anyone know this one's name?

I agree with Ray on Irene Kingsley. Please feel free to add some more pictures of other crotons you have down in PR. I would love to see them and the property.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Just a small example of Frank Brown's horticultural exploits: he was evidently an early fan of spotted-leaf cast-iron plants, Aspidistra lurida 'Milky Way', so he grew and must have sold lots of them. The few pots I took home have expanded into large patches.

Thanks to Dr. Brown and surfers who want their yards to look like Puerto Rico or Costa Rica, Brevard County has lots of tropical-looking yards.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

I agree with Ray on Irene Kingsley. Please feel free to add some more pictures of other crotons you have down in PR. I would love to see them and the property.

Jeff

Thanks to Jeff and Ray for the croton I.D.! I'm happy to post more photos.

Cindy Adair

Oh, yes, keep the photos coming!

I THOUGHT I had more croton photos, but can't seem to find them now. I'll be sure to photograph them better next time I go (April). In the meantime, thanks for sharing all your beautiful treasures with us!

Cindy Adair

At Patrica's request ...

post-1729-046894100 1322755273_thumb.jpg

post-1729-055595900 1322755315_thumb.jpg

post-1729-016498300 1322755356_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

... :wub:

post-1729-071377700 1322755554_thumb.jpgpost-1729-042102600 1322755587_thumb.jpgpost-1729-027866500 1322755631_thumb.jpg

Randy (Palm Island) has a library of croton photos that dwarfs mine. Please jump in and show some more of your "palm jewlery" Randy! :drool:

• Upvote 1

Here are some of mine from yesterday :D

post-1035-020568400 1322757225_thumb.jpg

post-1035-049913100 1322757239_thumb.jpg

post-1035-079557400 1322757253_thumb.jpg

post-1035-063838400 1322757270_thumb.jpg

post-1035-080940000 1322757287_thumb.jpg

post-1035-006637800 1322757307_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

"If you need me, I'll be outside" -Randy Wiesner Palm Beach County, Florida Zone 10Bish

Here's a few I took today while walking to a local restaurant for lunch. Many of the hotels in town have them planted right along the main road.

post-747-000663400 1322799470_thumb.jpgpost-747-086483000 1322799495_thumb.jpg

post-747-091156000 1322799529_thumb.jpgpost-747-046094400 1322799611_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

I THOUGHT I had more croton photos, but can't seem to find them now. I'll be sure to photograph them better next time I go (April). In the meantime, thanks for sharing all your beautiful treasures with us!

Cindy - I look forward to seeing you post your additional croton photos in April. B) Jeff and Ray have been into crotons many more years than I. There are alot more "Crotonheads" on the Croton Forum: www.palmpedia.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?26 that are more than willing to help you with ID's and growing questions. :greenthumb: Looking at your farm thread, it does look like your Puerto Rico spread is in a tropical paradise.:wub: Propagating more varieties of crotons would add even more colors. Your climate and soil conditions are perfect for crotons. :winkie:

Kindest regards,

Ron

I'm about to go crazy :wub:

Patricia - Jeff Anderson is located on the Pacific Coast. Another Croton collector in Costa Rica is Bob Heredia. Bob's place is above San Jose overlooking the city. I cannot speak for these gentleman, but knowing their character - I am sure they would help a fellow lover of crotons to help re-establish their collection in their new garden. You could PM Jeff here on Palm Talk. I am unsure if Bob monitors or is a member of Palm Talk. I do see him at on the Croton Forum almost daily: www.palmpedia.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?26. Just sign up as a member there and you can send him private messages.

Here are a few more photos for your viewing pleasure ... :blush:

post-1729-016802000 1322917670_thumb.jpg

post-1729-041414700 1322917716_thumb.jpg

post-1729-052960500 1322917820_thumb.jpg

post-1729-087132400 1322917903_thumb.jpg

post-1729-090191700 1322917952_thumb.jpg

post-1729-029803200 1322917986_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Cindy - I look forward to seeing you post your additional croton photos in April. B) Jeff and Ray have been into crotons many more years than I. There are alot more "Crotonheads" on the Croton Forum: www.palmpedia.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?26 that are more than willing to help you with ID's and growing questions. :greenthumb: Looking at your farm thread, it does look like your Puerto Rico spread is in a tropical paradise.:wub: Propagating more varieties of crotons would add even more colors. Your climate and soil conditions are perfect for crotons. :winkie:

Kindest regards,

Ron

Thank you so much for your kind and informative answer! I just spent about an hour (when I was supposed to be monitoring our son to be sure he was doing his overdue homework...) enjoying many threads from the Palmpedia link you sent me. Well, when I came up for air (and coffee) my teenager was snoozing so I had to fuss at him, but it was still worth it to see all the pretty plants. Just as not very long ago all palms sort of looked alike and all the names blurred together, now I can see that crotons are distinct individuals too. If I could have abandoned my job/family to attend Jeff's event I would have! Please keep your group going and one day I'll make it (or host one at our farm!!!)Flights can be cheap from Florida to PR....

Cindy Adair

Cindy - that sounds like a great future venue for a croton garden tour / meeting. Our next Crotonhead get together has been tentatively scheduled for Saturday, March 24, 2012. It will be held at TikiRick's garden in Fort Lauderdale, FL, which is on the waterways. Rick has one of the best gardens I have visited. His use of a vast array of all types of plants is remarkable. Probably one of the best gardens per square foot to be found anywhere. If you could make that event, you would be amazed. Plus you would make some connections with other croton fans that could trade you plants not available in PR and vice-a-versa.

Kindest regards, :)

Ron

Cindy - that sounds like a great future venue for a croton garden tour / meeting. Our next Crotonhead get together has been tentatively scheduled for Saturday, March 24, 2012. It will be held at TikiRick's garden in Fort Lauderdale, FL, which is on the waterways. Rick has one of the best gardens I have visited. His use of a vast array of all types of plants is remarkable. Probably one of the best gardens per square foot to be found anywhere. If you could make that event, you would be amazed. Plus you would make some connections with other croton fans that could trade you plants not available in PR and vice-a-versa.

Kindest regards, :)

Ron

Thanks so much for the invitation. In 2012 I'm scheming to get to the biennial in Thailand, but if I can make a March trip too, I'd love to attend!

Cindy Adair

Ron, thank you very much for your info. Jeff is my palm mentor, so probably he's going to become my croton mentor as well :winkie: I didn't know about Bob. Interesting. I've been to PalmPedia and watched all of the croton photos they have, one by one. I've been gathering some new ones, here and there, and am planning on buying more in a few days when going to some nurseries recommended by Jeff.

You guys amaze me. You do know much more about plants in CR than all of us, Costa Ricans. :D

Patricia