IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palms of Madagascar

Justin

So here is the full gallery, with thumbnails and full-resolution pictures:

Justin's Madagascar Palms

No comments on the picture quality. Most of them were taken from moving cars, in dark rainforests, from several hundred meters away, etc. I'll also intermittently put some photos in this post itself, such as these pictures of the Dypsis sp. at the Vakona Lodge in Andasibe:

IMG_7229s.jpg

IMG_7231s.jpg

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

More of the same species (I think), but a different plant specimen:

IMG_7298s.jpg

IMG_7299s.jpg

IMG_7300s.jpg

IMG_7301s.jpg

Resident of Puerto de la Cruz, Tenerife, San Diego, CA and Pahoa, HI.  Former garden in Vista, CA.  Garden Photos

Absolutely enormous Ravenea madagascarensis (at least that's what the guide said):

IMG_7315s.jpg

IMG_7317s.jpg

Dypsis madagascarensis in the Tsingy de Bemaraha:

IMG_6606s.jpg

IMG_6607s.jpg

IMG_6679s.jpg

Different Dypsis onilahensis, also in Isalo:

IMG_7926s.jpg

IMG_7929s.jpg

IMG_7931s.jpg

IMG_7932s.jpg

Just west of Isalo (on the way to Tulear), you get Bizzies if it's dry, Ravenea rivularis where it's wet:

IMG_8135s.jpg

IMG_8141s.jpg

• Upvote 1

Last one for a bit. Here are some Dypsis saintelucei. I asked the local expert there, and he indicated that they start off with the reddish spear, and that the spear doesn't continue to come out red as the plant gets taller. Makes me think it's a defense mechanism for some animal or insect that can do harm to small plants, but not to big ones.

IMG_8816s.jpg

IMG_8817s.jpg

IMG_8837s.jpg

IMG_8838s.jpg

Justin - AWESOME PICTURES!!! Feeling a little envious to say the least.

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

You saw a LOT of palms, Justin! I'll repeat what Bill just said, AWESOME PICTURES!!!!

Will you be adding your usual travel commentary to the photo link? I'd like to hear more about the trip.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I'm putting together a travel log, which is in rough form right now. I hope to finish this weekend or next week. It'll have integrated photos and video.

We had a really good time, but I will note that it was very depressing seeing how much of the native forest has been burned down to plant Eucalyptus, just to burn the Eucalyptus down to make charcoal. I unfortunately don't have much hope for the forest's future, which is why we went now. We'll be in Borneo next year for the same reason.

Tiny little Raphia. While I didn't see a ton of these, I saw them in a much wider range than anything else (excluding Cocos nucifera). I saw them in the central as well as in the South, so long as there was a lot of water nearby.

IMG_7236s.jpg

• Upvote 1

Double-headed triangle palm. I asked what caused this, and either because of the language barrier or something else, couldn't get across that this is a VERY rare occurrence and that something odd must have happened.

IMG_8563s.jpg

• Upvote 1

What I was told (quite conclusively, I might add) is Dypsis sambiransis. It had a bit of a Date Palm look to it, the way the fronds were clustered. It was way up there (my guess is 15 meters tall), so there was no way to get a better shot - anything farther away (i.e., more from the side rather than straight up )would have had too much other stuff in the way.

IMG_8827s.jpg

IMG_8828s.jpg

IMG_8829s.jpg

IMG_8830s.jpg

Justin,

Absolutely amazing pictures! What an adventure! Looking forward to more! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Ravenea samberenensis perhaps?

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It's late im tired but those palm pics just woke me up :drool: nothing like seeing Dypsis in habitat !

Fantastic photos . Did you take and Dypsis decipiens ?

Also did the opportunity arise to take a few seeds ?

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Hey Bill , have a look at 2nd bottom pic post 15... then go to page420 POM

2nd bottom pic post 16.. not 15

fabulous. thanks for posting.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

2nd bottom pic post 16.. not 15

I don't have that book - is it the same plant? Some species other than Dypsis sambiranensis?

Page 420 in POM is a Masoala madagascariensis. Habitat is up in the NE part of Madagascar. Masoala, Marojejy and Mananara. Justin, where did you take those shots in #16?

Dypsis sambiranensis is a much smallerr palm, and the name has not yet been published (as far as I know). It was lumped in under the D. pinnatifrons name but will now get its old name back. It's the palm we commonly know as "Neophloga pink crownshaft".

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The shots in 16 were taken in Manafiafy (Sainte Luce). In the area were Dypsis saintelucei, Dypsis fibrosa, Dypsis prestoniana and Dypsis scottiana, as well as this palm. Again, I have to trust the guides to give me accurate information, but the descriptions I've read online for the other 4 palms seem to match what I saw (and took photos of).

Justin:

Interesting visual cross-section of Mad ecosystems and their more conspicuous/attractive palms. Great in situ photos of some horticulturally interesting spp. Thanks for posting them.

J

Wonderful pictures, and looking forward to the narrative.

Hmm. Those St. Lucei aren't the same SLs we've come to know and love (all the ones I've seen don't have a red spear) but that said, they're wonderful, and whatever they turn out to be, they'll grace many a garden.

If we can't save the forest, hopefully we can save some of the species from their seeds. . . .

More pictures, please!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Dave, I think they are the same. Both at Floribunda and at Cycads & Palms, the have a "dwarf" Saintelucei that has the red spear, but otherwise look the same. I have both in my yard (yards, actually), and they appear to be the same plant. I can't say with certainty why some wouldn't have the red spear, but I could make a couple educated guesses:

1) Plants grown from seed in an area out Madagascar may realize that there is no need for the red spear, because of the lack of certain insects, etc.

2) The original seed batch that gave rise to the plants that now provide the majority of cultivated sainteluceis just happened to not have a red spear

Awesome!!! i hope you dont mind but the shot of that dypsis that is leaning almost upside down and then straight again is my new desk top on my work computer... :drool:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Great photos Justin. I love those Savannah plain shots. Funnily, they remind me of some parts of Australia.

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

Justin,Stunning Visual Entertainment, and what incredible timing with the PSSC Dypsis issue, it reawakens the Palms of Madagascar spirits , not that they ever rest... Brilliant and its all Free with a push of the button here on Palmtalk. Look fwd to every post.Many thanks. Pete

Justin, you've just been in a palm heaven. Thanks for the awesome photos. It's sad to hear about the destruction of the forest though.

Patricia

Wonderful pictures, and looking forward to the narrative.

Hmm. Those St. Lucei aren't the same SLs we've come to know and love (all the ones I've seen don't have a red spear) but that said, they're wonderful, and whatever they turn out to be, they'll grace many a garden.

If we can't save the forest, hopefully we can save some of the species from their seeds. . . .

More pictures, please!

Dave, I think it's a bit of an age thing. My larger St. lucei has began producing that maroon "push", which then fades to green as the spear opens.

Fantastic pictures Justin; I'm envious of your trip there! Thanks for sharing...

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Justin,Stunning Visual Entertainment, and what incredible timing with the PSSC Dypsis issue, it reawakens the Palms of Madagascar spirits , not that they ever rest... Brilliant and its all Free with a push of the button here on Palmtalk. Look fwd to every post.Many thanks. Pete

Post 16 really does very much look a stunning Masoala Madagascariensis? Not that ive seen one , but pic on page 420 looks identical to your pic. Stunning work Justin, you are having too much fun, Lucky you. Pete

Post 16 really does very much look a stunning Masoala Madagascariensis? Not that ive seen one , but pic on page 420 looks identical to your pic. Stunning work Justin, you are having too much fun, Lucky you. Pete

Well Pete, I have a nice big 5 gal one of a masoala... if all things work, i can give you a definitive answer in 20-25 years.... :lol:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Did you see any panther chameleons in Madagascar?

Welcome to the board chipcount! Look forward to seeing pics of your palms soon.

Tom

High 62F, Low 49F

Casas Adobes - NW of Tucson since July 2014

formerly in the San Carlos region of San Diego