IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FROST!!!! REALLY!!!

Stevetoad

Nothing better than waking up and walking out to the car just to see it covered with frost!!! no frost on the ground or plants but REALLY!!! its early november... both my weather stations picked up a low of 38. my temp sensor is 5 feet off the ground and the other in the front yard is also 5ft up with no cover. what gives??? i guess ill put the water jugs out... :angry:

post-5835-088281700 1320849259_thumb.jpg

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Yeah Steve, I've never quite figured that whole thermal thing out, where water freezes to things even though it's not yet hit the freezing mark. I thought last year was bad, since I was scraping ice off my truck by Thanksgiving. Winter seems to be getting about 3 weeks longer each year..

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

It is interesting that if your dewpoint is below freezing that any surface that cools close enough can have frost.

We had 5 months of hardly any rainfall(<5")and a 7 week period of temps 80/95-106F.

Any rain that did fall was absorbed or evaporated so fast that it didn't make a dent in the drought.

We had several nights where the "official" air temp(low)was 28F and I never saw any frost even on my car!

The humidity was so low that there was not enough moisture for frost to form.

I have never before seen so little damage to Bananas and Castors(usually 2 of the most frost sensitive),

they were not even slightly damaged.....all good things-3+ inches of rain this month followed by one

night of temps 25-28F and HEAVY frost changed that up quick!

Edited by Jimhardy

We had some in the low lying areas of La Ha, too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

The lowest temp. here last year was around Thanksgiving, and nothing worse than that the rest of the year. Yesterday and this morning there was frost on the roof tops. My low this morning was 36F, the lowest of the season. I dread what's coming.

There is a nasty storm hitting Alaska now. Part of it is supposed to break away and come our way.

Dick

Richard Douglas

The lowest temp. here last year was around Thanksgiving, and nothing worse than that the rest of the year. Yesterday and this morning there was frost on the roof tops. My low this morning was 36F, the lowest of the season. I dread what's coming.

There is a nasty storm hitting Alaska now. Part of it is supposed to break away and come our way.

Dick

Richard Douglas

MOMMY!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Same stuff here in the Sacramento Valley last two mornings. Pretty light and melted fast - don't think it did any real damage.

We've got a few months to go.

Steve, sounds like your temp sensors are working perfectly. 38f is about the highest temp where you can experience frost on cars due to very dry air and radiative cooling of the metal or glass surfaces. I hit 48f under the jacaranda and 46f out in the open, so santee being 8 to 10 degrees colder is consistent with dry, cold nights in the past

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Steve, sounds like your temp sensors are working perfectly. 38f is about the highest temp where you can experience frost on cars due to very dry air and radiative cooling of the metal or glass surfaces.

Yes....upper 30's and still air here many times means frosty car rooftops. One time, I even saw some (albeit slushy) ice forming on the roof of a car when the air temp was 40-41F. I put a thermocouple on the skyward facing sheet metal rooftop of the car and it measured 31.xF. UGLY!!

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Stinkin' Freeze Warning in affect for Jacksonville tomorrow night. Blahhhhh! This is real early. It seems the weather here is getting more extreme.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

We had one night at 38F, followed by several rainy and warmer days. So far, no frost. And i hope it remains until december. I want my garage palmsfree! :D

On November 2nd, had my first freeze this fall at 30F. Had a few 34F this month with frost on windshield, gone by sunrise. Last November was the coldest month for winter at 15F. Burr!

Fairly dry November so far but, getting a lot of rain next week. All month the humidity has been high 90's at night, (even on clear nights) 70%-80% in the day. Worst part of winter here is cloudy foggy days with clear cold nights.

Hopefully nothing below 30F the rest of the month.

Edited by Palm crazy

A couple of things are in play to get frost..

FIRST the surface of an item HAS to be 32F....

nature is trying to even all things... heat flows to cold, so as the temp lowers, items give up their heat to the cool air.. the higher the humidity, the warmer it will be when you see frost on a car surface, or roof, etc.

if it is dry, it may be well into the 20's before you see frost..

as the lower humidity dictates a lower dewpoint, and although the surface may be 32F or less, you need moisture to get frost!

yada yada, blah blah

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

ahaha It hasn't even frosted here yet, but I live one mile from the warm ocean currents. :D

Los Angeles, CA and Myrtle Beach, SC.

The lowest in Orlando so far (officially) has been 48F, so we have a ways to go before any frost/freeze threat. Interior north Florida has already been hit pretty good, with 23F in Tallahassee a couple mornings ago. Isn't it a bit early for low 20s in the FL Panhandle?

-Michael

I've had a couple of nights in the 37f degree range so far.

If the surface of an object cools faster than the air ( to below 32f) and dew forms... frost.

I read somewhere that you can have frost as warm as 42f or 43f, I've seen it at 41f .

Jeff

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

• 2 weeks later...

Is not yet midnight and we're in the upper 40's. Betting it will be our first frost tomorrow morning, for the metro Orlando area.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Is not yet midnight and we're in the upper 40's. Betting it will be our first frost tomorrow morning, for the metro Orlando area.

Lost the bet, no frost at all! Bottomed at 41°F though.

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes