RarePalmSeeds

IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT

The IPS has issued the expected revised "Terms of Service" - Effective Immediately - Please read more in an explanatory topic HERE.

NEW "TERMS OF SERVICE"

Photo

Sabal: You Name it, You Got It...Free Seeds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 AggiePalms

AggiePalms

• IPS MEMBER
  • 389 posts
  • Location:Savannah GA Whitemarsh Island Zone 8b-9a, near the salt marsh

Posted 06 November 2011 - 07:45 PM

Hey everybody

I think the pictured trees are an unusual Sabal variety; they are growing nearby to my house, and are native I assume? They get large (up to 3-5 m) and costapalmate with very twisted leaves - more like S. maritima and some of the other non-native species. Not so much like typical S. palmetto or S. minor, or have I just been missing this variety all these years? These grow right down to the brackish water line, no more than 30 cm above the water, on a very small island. They are very hardy, having survived temperatures of c. -9C.

If you can tell me what variety of S. palmetto/minor these are, I will happily send you some very fresh seeds. If you cannot identify them, that's ok, I will send some seeds to you anyway if I have any remaining. I don't have a lot of seeds, but I will do my best.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails

• 356.JPG
  • 349.JPG
  • 353.JPG
  • 352.JPG

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Jeff zone 8 N.C.

Jeff zone 8 N.C.

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 261 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 04:23 AM

A wind blown Sabal bermudana? I wonder if some migrating or wind blown bird brought the seeds to that little island. If you do have some extra seeds I would like to try 3 or 4.

#3 PalmatierMeg

PalmatierMeg

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,551 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 05:36 PM

David, are these different palms from the dwarf, "flattened" Sabals you sent out seeds for last year? I germninated those seeds along with "normnal" Sabal minor you also sent me and I can tell the difference. The strap leaves from the flattened seedlings are shorter and wider than normal S.m. I look forward to how they change as they grow. Do you have a photo of the mutant parent?

BTW, I'm sending you a PM.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

#4 AggiePalms

AggiePalms

• IPS MEMBER
  • 389 posts
  • Location:Savannah GA Whitemarsh Island Zone 8b-9a, near the salt marsh

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

Jeff: They sure do look like bermudana...who knows, maybe a bird did carry them; I have only noticed them in one small area, so they could be descended from an original very small population. PM me your address and I will send you some. They are pretty cool.

Meg: Glad you remember those little flat S. minor from last year. I'm glad they are doing well. Those I sent last year are from one small flat plant, fronds no more than a foot or so high; these I have found this year are up to 10-15 feet with a good clear trunk. Definitately not the same variety, and I doubt the same species. Anyway, I sent you a PM, and of course you can have some seeds.

Everybody keep your thinking caps on about ID'ing this Sabal.
Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

#5 bananaman

bananaman

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 34 posts

Posted 12 November 2011 - 06:30 AM

Maybe it is some sort of hybrid Sabal.
Also, it could be one of the tropical ones could have sprouted from seed, and hybridized with the native ones...

It looks a lot like Sabal yapa. Maybe a seed or two from Cuba came in on a bird or by the tides.

Edited by bananaman, 12 November 2011 - 06:35 AM.

-bananaman

All images I post are shared under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND License

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users