IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Sabal: You Name it, You Got It...Free Seeds

AggiePalms

Hey everybody

I think the pictured trees are an unusual Sabal variety; they are growing nearby to my house, and are native I assume? They get large (up to 3-5 m) and costapalmate with very twisted leaves - more like S. maritima and some of the other non-native species. Not so much like typical S. palmetto or S. minor, or have I just been missing this variety all these years? These grow right down to the brackish water line, no more than 30 cm above the water, on a very small island. They are very hardy, having survived temperatures of c. -9C.

If you can tell me what variety of S. palmetto/minor these are, I will happily send you some very fresh seeds. If you cannot identify them, that's ok, I will send some seeds to you anyway if I have any remaining. I don't have a lot of seeds, but I will do my best.

Thanks!

post-1508-048999200 1320636726_thumb.jpg

post-1508-070751100 1320636777_thumb.jpg

post-1508-092598500 1320636853_thumb.jpg

post-1508-008363300 1320636951_thumb.jpg

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

A wind blown Sabal bermudana? I wonder if some migrating or wind blown bird brought the seeds to that little island. If you do have some extra seeds I would like to try 3 or 4.

David, are these different palms from the dwarf, "flattened" Sabals you sent out seeds for last year? I germninated those seeds along with "normnal" Sabal minor you also sent me and I can tell the difference. The strap leaves from the flattened seedlings are shorter and wider than normal S.m. I look forward to how they change as they grow. Do you have a photo of the mutant parent?

BTW, I'm sending you a PM.

Meg

Palms of Victory I shall wear

Cape Coral (It's Just Paradise)
Florida
Zone 10A on the Isabelle Canal
Elevation: 15 feet

I'd like to be under the sea in an octopus' garden in the shade.

Jeff: They sure do look like bermudana...who knows, maybe a bird did carry them; I have only noticed them in one small area, so they could be descended from an original very small population. PM me your address and I will send you some. They are pretty cool.

Meg: Glad you remember those little flat S. minor from last year. I'm glad they are doing well. Those I sent last year are from one small flat plant, fronds no more than a foot or so high; these I have found this year are up to 10-15 feet with a good clear trunk. Definitately not the same variety, and I doubt the same species. Anyway, I sent you a PM, and of course you can have some seeds.

Everybody keep your thinking caps on about ID'ing this Sabal.

Gig 'Em Ags!

David '88

Maybe it is some sort of hybrid Sabal.

Also, it could be one of the tropical ones could have sprouted from seed, and hybridized with the native ones...

It looks a lot like Sabal yapa. Maybe a seed or two from Cuba came in on a bird or by the tides.

Edited by bananaman

-bananaman

All images I post are shared under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND License