IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycas cairnsiana

tank

Does anyone have any experience on how this plant handles humid conditions and or its cold tolerance.

I've seen varying accounts of its cold tolerance, some claiming this plant will tolerate temps into the upper teens (F).

Thanks!

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I have 5 growing right now in full exposure in Houston Tx, pretty cold in the winter, I'll be able to tell you in a few months!

I have 5 growing right now in full exposure in Houston Tx, pretty cold in the winter, I'll be able to tell you in a few months!

Houston has a very similar climate to Gainesville.

I'm definitely interested to hear how they do.

Are these seedlings or larger plants?

Jason

Gainesville, Florida

I'm growing heaps of these for future landscaping projects. I put off growing these for ages because of the rumors I heard...

I have a few in the ground at my place too, and they look awesome (you can't get much more humid than where I am too). Drainage is the key. I use pure scoria for my potting mix (deep pots too - long avo bags which are 450mm deep), and in the ground I have them in a sloped position on my block for drainage.

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

I'm growing heaps of these for future landscaping projects. I put off growing these for ages because of the rumors I heard...

I have a few in the ground at my place too, and they look awesome (you can't get much more humid than where I am too). Drainage is the key. I use pure scoria for my potting mix (deep pots too - long avo bags which are 450mm deep), and in the ground I have them in a sloped position on my block for drainage.

That is good to know Kurt.......I had considered obtaining one but when I moved down from Cloncurry I brought my beautiful Cycas couttsiana to the coast with me......it collapsed during the first summer even with perfect drainage.....obviously C. cairnsiana is more tolerant.

• Upvote 1

Andrew,
Airlie Beach, Whitsundays

Tropical Queensland

Tropicgardener, thats bad news, maybe some bad luck? Surely worth another try? I know a few guys up here that are growing them, plus guys in Africa & Hawaii, and they don't have any problems with water in the wet season. I've only lost a few when potting up and on, and have linked it to that? All said, I'd definitely given them another try!

Below is a photo of one of mine up at the farm today - just pushing a flush too (this one must be 3 and a bit years and its caudex around 10cm approx. (mostly underground))! It seems to be loving it in the humid wet tropics! :blink:

6314060411_2af876c8cf_z.jpg

6314060811_c648d21bc5_z.jpg

Happy growing!

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

I'm growing seedlings, they mostly have 2 leaves, I'm also very interested in how they fare as I'm thinking about replacing a Sago in my front yard with a Cairnsiana, that would by coool! They are all potted right now, so if they survive the winter we'll know this cycad is good to go (in this climate).

Edited by palmsnbananas
  • Upvote 1

They're from a pretty humid climate right? I've heard that they can be a little touchy to transplant but I've got one that I bought with a one inch caudex and I neglected the poor thing so much that I can't believe that it's still alive -- but it's looking fine.

I had it on a porch balcony in a pot when I lived in Woodland -- near Sacramento California. It took cold down into the twenties with no problem. Then I moved down to Encinitas and planted it in my parents back yard, and forgot about it.. Ice plant grew over it and I never watered the poor thing.

Then I got curious about it and went looking for it -- and I found it! It just had one leaf, but I put it back into a pot and started watering it again. And it flushed with six leaves! It's sitting out on my patio here in Escondido California and I need to plant it back in the ground but water and fertilize it right this time. It is a beautiful plant!

• Upvote 1

• 5 months later...

Well they survived this winter with no protection but its the mildest one I've seen.. down to 26 once.. below freezing 4-5 times.

• Upvote 1

I planted out 2 with about 1inch caudexes,lost the folaige with a very heavy frost at 29 degrees

but have great leaves coming up now

• Upvote 1

I have a few here in Jax

Grown for years ---loose the folliage every year --- I have them on a big mound that is dry. Very slow growers

I will shoot a few photos and post.

Best regards

Ed

• Upvote 1

Any one know where i can find seeds or plants as im in australia so they should be around but i cant locate thanks

• Upvote 1