IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Can we go back to listing all the active users from the last 30 minutes?

Mandrew968

In my opinion, the last 2 minutes is a worthless piece of information. I know that the reason it was changed was that the names listed, were already off line(possibly) but it does let us know who has been online. Anyways, I liked the 30 minute version much better...

I would like a compromise, say 10 minutes. This is essentially a social networking site that happens to be focused on palms. If you look at the bottom and see Google and another robot online, it's not very social. It makes the site look dead, which does not encourage 'stickiness'. 30 minutes was too long, but 2 minutes is much too short. Seeing more people online encourages more activity. Think of it this way -- you walk into a party and see one person holding a tray of hors d'oeuvres and one person sitting alone at a table with a sick palm in his lap. Great party? :rolleyes: Or, you walk into another party and there are a dozen people in the room, eating, drinking, laughing, trading lots of palms, and lots of conversation flowing. Where would you rather be?

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

I would like a compromise, say 10 minutes. This is essentially a social networking site that happens to be focused on palms. If you look at the bottom and see Google and another robot online, it's not very social. It makes the site look dead, which does not encourage 'stickiness'. 30 minutes was too long, but 2 minutes is much too short. Seeing more people online encourages more activity. Think of it this way -- you walk into a party and see one person holding a tray of hors d'oeuvres and one person sitting alone at a table with a sick palm in his lap. Great party? :rolleyes: Or, you walk into another party and there are a dozen people in the room, eating, drinking, laughing, trading lots of palms, and lots of conversation flowing. Where would you rather be?

I agree, Kim. I think it's an essential marketing opportunity to entice the general public. Other than that, I'm sure it helps those already a part of PalmTalk in choosing their moment to post. Personally, I'm not so interested to know who is on-line at any one time, but to know that the forum is busy can boost sociability, as you say.

Kim, when I look and see only two people, it just doesn't feel as good as when there were a bunch of names--I also like seeing when the busy times, on palmtalk, are(helps to keep the chat a more fun place too). Fifteen minutes?

I totally agree with the above comments. To scroll down and see 3 names,how discouraging is that?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

IM ALWAYS ON... confused0065.gif

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

good point,kim.totally agree.that "2 minute" thing sucks! now it even says i'm not here when i am here.

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

good point,kim.totally agree.that "2 minute" thing sucks! now it even says i'm not here when i am here.

Paul, wasn't it my idea? :blink:

:) Yes, Andrew, it was your idea, but I wrote a persuasive explanation of why it's a good idea. :)

...at least I hope it's persuasive. Where is our Mod on this?

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Paul and I have been exchanging PM's, so we know we're both online, and periodically it shows that he's logged off. Why does it do that? I know for a fact that he's online. Maybe it's indicating "logged off" if you're inactive, just reading a topic and haven't posted. In which case, a 30 minute recycle would be better because some people can read a lot before deciding to post.

Or if we're just marketing, lets just have the computer choose a random 25 people to keep recycling down on the "online" list. :lol:

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Paul, wasn't it my idea? :blink:

and you are...?

just kidding. :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

I can change it to anything anyone one wants. As mentioned, I thought it would be a more worthwhile tool for actually contacting someone. I could never contact anyone that I saw on the list. I would see them there and send them a quick PM to no avail. For that purpose it was useless.

I'll change it to ten, or anything management wants. If it's more important to know how many have visited (however briefly), then I can set it to an hour for that matter. So, what's more important - how many are here when you are, or how many have visited?

I'll try Kim's suggestion of ten for now. It won't change how many are really "in the room." But will give an indication of how many "pass through."

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Or if we're just marketing, lets just have the computer choose a random 25 people to keep recycling down on the "online" list. :lol:

The placebo effect. biggrin.gif

Dean, "how many have visited" floats my boat. I take it as a sign of "much posting activity". I also make a mental note of when that happens, which days of the week etc.

Thanks for being responsive, Dean! I wonder, do you have any statistics about the average time a user stays on Palm Talk? If a person doesn't click anything, but is online reading or posting, under the 2 minute rule, they "disappear" even though they are still "in the room". Under the 30 minute rule, a user could come in and go out within seconds, and still appear to be "in the room". Is there a more precise tracking tool to give you a better picture of reality? Not that it matters, just curious.

Kim Cyr

Thanks for being responsive, Dean! I wonder, do you have any statistics about the average time a user stays on Palm Talk? If a person doesn't click anything, but is online reading or posting, under the 2 minute rule, they "disappear" even though they are still "in the room". Under the 30 minute rule, a user could come in and go out within seconds, and still appear to be "in the room". Is there a more precise tracking tool to give you a better picture of reality? Not that it matters, just curious.

Kim,

You said, "If a person doesn't click anything, but is online reading or posting,......" - A person couldn't read very much without clicking on something. In other words, there is only so much info or things to do on one page, and to leave that page you have to click on something. And even if you are posting a long post on one page, every letter you type, and possibly even scrolling, should classify as activity. But if you visit the bathroom, answer a phone call or the door, then you would be dropped from active. In the past I have seen some people sit on the same page for hours. Obviously they forgot to log off, or are not multi-tasking very well.

And no, the PT software doesn't track anything like time or pages - but there are programs that do that - and just about any other stat you would want. Average time, average number of pages viewed, active times, where they come from, where they go, search words when they arrive from a search engine, monitor resolutions, type of computer, operating system, browser, location, and on and on.

Paul and I have been exchanging PM's, so we know we're both online, and periodically it shows that he's logged off. Why does it do that? I know for a fact that he's online. Maybe it's indicating "logged off" if you're inactive, just reading a topic and haven't posted. In which case, a 30 minute recycle would be better because some people can read a lot before deciding to post.

Matt, as mentioned above, if you spent more than 2 minutes grabbing a beer and chips, or resizing some pics, then you would not be shown as active - given the two minute constraint.

agree.....

with somebody :unsure:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.