IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

mature mule palms

BigBpalms

there is a neighborhood on the east side of orlando that has more mature mules than any other i have been in- drove through today and took some pics - there are so many I couldnt navigate back to them all but here is a good idea- these are all within about a mile of each other.

post-4007-081893900 1320267288_thumb.jpg

post-4007-097426600 1320267299_thumb.jpg

post-4007-093943400 1320267311_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very nice! If I had to do it all over again, I think I would plant mostly butia x syagrus. Not only are they a beautiful palm in their many forms, but there won't be any seedlings to become weeds!

Actually, I do have a chance to do it all over at a cooler location so I will be planting lots of these palms. Now, of I just had some of that money I wasted on so many tenders tropicals over the years. :)

Nice pics Brian!

Thanks for sharing. Where is this? I would love to take a drive out there.

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I thought ud chime in mark- the area is between bumby and primrose and from conway to the 417- big neighborhood but lots of mules- By the way the mule u gave me is about 6' tall overall now doing great- any luck with that big B. alfredii I gave u?

Nice !!!

I have noticed quite a large number in that area !!!

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

I thought ud chime in mark- the area is between bumby and primrose and from conway to the 417- big neighborhood but lots of mules- By the way the mule u gave me is about 6' tall overall now doing great- any luck with that big B. alfredii I gave u?

Good to hear that the Mule is growing fast! The B.Alfredii that you gave me went directly into the ground and is chugging along. It's not setting any growth records but it is doing great.

I'll snap a pic of it and thanks again!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Those are some nice ones. I'd be interested in learning the story how so many of these palms were planted in the same vacinity.

In my travels within Highlands County I've spotted a number of butiagrus palms, but not an over abundance of them. Probably the oldest (or at least the tallest) butiagrus palm I've run across so far is the one shown below. About five or six years ago I talked to the owner of this palm. He told me it was already there when he bought his house back in 1983, although I can't recall how big he said it was, or if he did in fact say. What I do recall was that he said the December freezes of 1989 didn't faze this palm.

The owner also told me that one day some landscaper came by and offered him $500 for his butiagrus. He declined the offer. I told the owner he made a wise decision as the landscaper would just flip the palm for big bucks, that retail I've seen these palms go for $300/foot of trunk! I estimated at that time his butiagrus had 22 feet of trunk (I'm sure it has more feet of trunk now). The trunk isn't very straight, as you can see in the photo. I'm not sure what could have caused this.

2270219910042496162S600x600Q85.jpg

Mad about palms

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I recently was looking at streetview on the East side of Orlando and found this nice mule.

5b1deb5a5f292_MulePalmOrlando.thumb.jpg.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

This Google street view photo is from 2012. This is the butiagrus palm I was referring to in my above posting. Well, I got a call from the homeowner (he kept my business card all those years) a few days after Hurricane Irma blew through, informing me his butiagrus palm was blown over. I'm not sure if it was totally blown over or just partially, like on a 45 degree angle like many of my palms were (ones not totally blown down or snapped in two). The next time I'm up in Sebring I plan to drive by and see what the status of the palm is.

Lakeview Dr. butiagrus palm.png

• Upvote 4

Mad about palms