• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Vietnam Post-Tour

bgl

Andrew Henderson, who is away from his office, asked me to post the following information:

PALMS OF VIETNAM

A TOUR TO SEE THE PALMS OF VIETNAM

18th-30th September 2012

We are pleased to offer for the first time a Palm Tour of Vietnam. This 12-day tour is designed for palm enthusiasts who are interested in experiencing the rich and diverse palm flora as well as the culture of Vietnam. We will explore the northern and central parts of Vietnam, a fascinating part of the country with a great diversity of palms. The region includes a variety of palm habitats and we will see several interesting species in the genera Caryota, Arenga, Wallichia, Licuala, Livistona, Pinanga, Areca, Nenga, and Phoenix, and a great variety of rattans (the spiny, climbing palms used in the furniture trade). In particular, we will see several species of the exciting new genus of palms, Lanonia.

The trip will take advantage of the cooler weather in northern Vietnam in September. We will travel by comfortable coach and stay in clean and comfortable hotels. Our Vietnamese guide for the entire trip will be Mr. Nguyen Quoc Dung, an expert on the National Parks and Nature Reserves of Vietnam and their palms.

We will visit several National Parks and Nature Reserves, including Cuc Phuong National Park; Phong Nha Ke Bang National Park (featured in a recent article in National Geographic magazine); Bach Ma National Park; and Ba Na Nature Reserve. We will also travel along parts of the Ho Chi Minh Highway to see some of the spectacular scenery of the Truong Son mountains along the western border of Vietnam with Laos. We will also have sight-seeing tours of Hanoi and Hue, and spend nights at the beach resorts of Cua Lo and Lang Co.

The tour will be led by Dr. Andrew Henderson of the New York Botanical Garden. Henderson is author of Field Guide to the Palms of Southern Asia. The 12-day trip is planned for 18-30th September 2012, immediately after the IPS biennial in Thailand. For additional information contact Andrew Henderson at ahenderson@nybg.org, or by phone at 718 817 8973, or by mail at The New York Botanical Garden, Bronx, NY 10458.

Fee: estimated $2900 including accommodation, meals, and transport (excluding air fare to Hanoi).

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

I am jealous to those that can do 12 days in Nam after Thailand. Get a job people! :)

Having been to Vietnam I can tell you it really is a magical place. Even Hanoi grows on you.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

I am jealous to those that can do 12 days in Nam after Thailand. Get a job people! :)

Having been to Vietnam I can tell you it really is a magical place. Even Hanoi grows on you.

For those able to go, please take lots of photos as it sounds wonderful!

Cindy Adair

For those able to go, please take lots of photos as it sounds wonderful!

Yes, and watch out for those leaches!! I hear they attack anything that moves...

• 6 months later...

Guys,

I see Bach Ma national park in your itinerary but it is closed at the moment. We tried to get in yesterday but were not allowed to enter it coz they are building/repairing the road that goes to the summit and the bloke at the gate said it was very dangerous. Until now I thought them Vietnamese didn't have such word in their language, no offence.

Even thoug the road should have been done by late 2010 if I remember correctly, I really doubt it'll be finished by the time you undertake the Vietnam post tour.

Perhaps, on your way to Ba Na, you might check out the Monkey mountains near Da Nang instead, locals call it Son Tra, which has numerous representatives of the central Viet Nam coastal flora including palmae, cycads and tree ferns.

Make sure on the way from Hue to Da Nang avoid the tunnel and rather use the Hai Van pass which goes along the coast and offers breath taking views.

I hope you enjoy the post tour.

Cheers, Jan

N48° 19'12.42", E18°06'50.15"

continental climate somewhat moderated by the influence of the mediterranean sea, atlantic ocean and north sea water masses but still prone to arctic blasts from the east as well as hot and dry summers. pushing the limits is exciting.