• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Herbert Weber

5 posts in this topic

I just received news that long time Palm Society member Herbert Webber passed away after an extended illness. No details yet. Herb lived in N. Calif. for many years, but moved to Mexico several years ago.

Dick

R.I.P. Herb Weber 1936-2011

It's our sad task to announce that Herb Weber passed on October 11th from complications of abdominal cancer. Herb was a founding member of the Northern California chapter of the International Palm Society. He and his son Fred installed the irrigation system for the Lakeside Palmetum in 1983. We enjoyed many meetings at his Greenbrae home where he favored both palms and rhododendrons. Herb retired to a seaside home in Mexico with his wife MaryNell. He is also survived by sons Fred and Mike.

I will always remember the twinkle in his eye, and his irreverent attitude!

Herb's garden in Greenbrae was one of my earliest Palm Society meetings. I always got a big smile from him when I'd tell him that his garden was a huge inspiration in getting me started in palm gardening.

I've known Herb for about 30 years like Darold. I knew him mostly as a customer at the nursery, but we talked for hours about all sorts of things. His challenge was to grow unusual species up at his home in the Bay Area. And, on many species he did quite well. He would typically show up at our nursery unannounced and just drop in. I always remembered him when he'd drop by and we'd chat about plants and life. As I recall, he was a physician. He was friendly, very knowledgable, and did have a "twinkle" in his eyes when he got excited about stuff. He was a genuinely good person and I will miss him. I send my sympathies to his family.

Phil Bergman

I remember Herb from the Palm Society there and had the opportunity to visit his wonderful garden in Greenbrae with the group in about 2001. He was always very friendly to my wife and I and even jokingly offered me his Green Card when he found out that we were fellow Canadians. It is sad to hear of his passing, even this long after.