IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda

epicure3

After low of 15F, no damage. Lots of frost and snow.

Clump 30 feet tall with 20 feet of trunk. Currently fruiting with volunteer seeddlings scattered around.

Ha!! Time to wake up and smell the rot.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

You know....I wondered where you were goign with this thread :D

I can add that my very small seedling clump (less than a foot tall) has been on my back porch all winter and has seen down to 42F with no damage.  It also gets zero sun (which I need to remedy if this thing is ever going to grow).

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

(spockvr6 @ Jan. 15 2007,23:14)

You know....I wondered where you were goign with this thread :D

I can add that my very small seedling clump (less than a foot tall) has been on my back porch all winter and has seen down to 42F with no damage.  It also gets zero sun (which I need to remedy if this thing is ever going to grow).

Is it facing Key West with a plane ticket in it's grasp?

• Like 1

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

• 5 weeks later...

Since the cold weather is bearing down on me in the next day or two, does anyone have a real temp at which this plant wont survive?  I have seen it go down into 42F for one night and it looks just fine with very minor damage on lower leave tips.....

Picture002-1.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
Since the cold weather is bearing down on me in the next day or two, does anyone have a real temp at which this plant wont survive?  I have seen it go down into 42F for one night and it looks just fine with very minor damage on lower leave tips.....

Picture002-1.jpg

There is one in a palm park in Ft. Myers that sits out in the open, no canopy. It survived 30 F one night in February and is still fine. I also gave a single 4 " seedling to a friend . He left it outside all winter including that cold night and did not die. I have since put a 1 gal and a three gal plant in the ground in my yard, both with canopy of trees, we we see if I have the same luck this winter.

• Like 1

Marc M

Numerous large specimens growing throughout South Florida.Major problem for mine(what's left) is Hurricans(Wilma).

• Like 1

What you look for is what is looking

I planted a 3 gallon size last fall and it si doing well so far. It is on the south east corner of the house underneath a down spout. I give it lots of fertlizer, alternating between a palm special and an acid fertilizer. It is also heavily mulched. I did cover it with frost cloth a couple of times last year and it didn't suffer any damage.

I know I am taking a risk but I wanted one in my garden so I am giving it a shot.

Palmmermaid

Kitty Philips

West Palm Beach, FL

• 8 years later...

Always wanted to see what cold damage looked like on this one but, like everybody, too afraid to experiment... until I was forced to. It was forecasted to drop down to 42°F (the reputed "freeze" limit of this palm). I left it outside in a fairly protected spot next to the house but no further protection. I watched helplessly from a SF hotel when it actually dropped down to 38°F two mornings in a row (Nov. 21-22) as reported from a nearby WU station, and also within 1°F from the iphone "Weather" app for my location. This is what damage looks like a week later...

IMG_2582.thumb.JPG.86b00dccca43594642979

Now, I'm starting to think this was possibly sun damage due to being moved to a sunnier location. This is how the palm looks like from another angle (the shaded portion).

IMG_2587.thumb.JPG.1565ce83b5dec7b9d10ab

• Like 1

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

• 1 month later...

This is how I'm protecting mine when it gets below 50F and I also give it supplemental heat when below 45F. Planted it as a 3 gal in July of 2015, so it's going through its second winter in the ground. I travel a lot, but so far I've been lucky enough to be home on cold nights last winter and this winter, so it's never been exposed to temps below 48F. I may run out of this luck one day, but for now - I'm loving it in my front yard.

Without protection

IMG_9837.thumb.JPG.67b42f1533e6885756327

With protection

IMG_9838.thumb.JPG.204cba0879fad22ccf1fc

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 1/5/2017, 9:40:53, sarasota alex said:

This is how I'm protecting mine when it gets below 50F and I also give it supplemental heat when below 45F. Planted it as a 3 gal in July of 2015, so it's going through its second winter in the ground. I travel a lot, but so far I've been lucky enough to be home on cold nights last winter and this winter, so it's never been exposed to temps below 48F. I may run out of this luck one day, but for now - I'm loving it in my front yard.

Without protection

IMG_9837.thumb.JPG.67b42f1533e6885756327

With protection

IMG_9838.thumb.JPG.204cba0879fad22ccf1fc

What is the protective shell?

On 11/27/2017, 7:57:38, Miami_grower said:

What is the protective shell?

I bought it on Amazon. I will look to see who sells it. Can no longer find it listed.