Becarriophoenix "windows"

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 quaman58

quaman58

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 15 January 2007 - 06:37 PM

Took 26F and had 3 or 4 leaves burn moderately, but the rest were untouched. 6 ft. plant, 3 years in the ground.
Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Geoff

Geoff

• IPS MEMBER
  • 612 posts

Posted 30 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

Here is a photo of a just trunking palm in Pasadena, California (Huntington Gardens) after around 30F... slight burn, but not bad.  

Scroll on down to last photo on this page for this palm after the freeze

http://davesgarden.c...0817/index.html

#3 tikitiki

tikitiki

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 953 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:03 PM

32f no frost no problem. 2nd night same temp but with frost and it is showing some light browning of the leaves. Seven feet OA

Edited by tikitiki, 22 January 2009 - 12:03 PM.

With a tin cup for a chalice
Fill it up with good red wine,
And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

#4 falcon1988

falcon1988

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 08:51 AM

2nd nite in the mid 30's first night no sign of any damage however the 2 nite with light frost showing up
some browning say about 2% only 2 leafs is showing the lite browning the rest is unharmed. the plant is
about 2/3 feet give or take and its about 2 years in the ground.
Matthew Albach
Pinellas Park FLorida
USDA zone 10a
sunset zone 26
heat zone   10
mostly frost free most years.

#5 Jeff in Modesto

Jeff in Modesto

• IPS MEMBER
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 12:27 AM

All of mine were toasted this winter at 28f.

Jeff
Modesto, CA USDA 9b
July/August average 95f/63f
Dec/Jan average   55f/39f
Average lowest winter temp 27f
Record low temp 18f
Record high temp 113f

#6 osideterry

osideterry

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:16 PM

Jeff - Toasted as in dead, or the leaves are brown but they are pushing new spears?
Zone 9b/10a, Sunset Zone 22
7 miles inland. Elevation 120ft (37m)
Average annual low temp: 30F (-1C)
Average annual rainfall: 8" (20cm)

#7 Brahea Axel

Brahea Axel

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 08:06 PM

I have two Floribunda b. "windows", one in the cold part of the garden and one in the warm thermal belt in the garden. Both sailed through the freeze without a trace of damage. The one in the lower garden got exposed to 26F on the lowest night, with 5 total nights of freezing temperatures, 10 hours per night, with overhead canopy. Damage nearby included damage to a bird of paradise that was under canopy as well. 26F was accurate at 6 feet out in the open about 30 feet elevation higher up the hill, so 26F under canopy at that location is reasonable. The one in the upper garden looks perfect, but it only got exposed to 31F.

I may not have enough Summer heat to grow these anyway, and too much Winter chill, but this is a tough plant when it comes to freezing temperatures. Given what I know about Winter yellowing due to sun, I suspect that if this palm can get some Summer sun and Winter shade in Socal, it should do well. Here in Central Calif. I still think it won't work even if it survives this Winter.

Read About my palms here: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/northern-california-palms/
Sawubona! Palms aren't much fun unless there are others to share them with.
36°N/550f elev. Santa Cruz Mountains Sunset 16, Koppen Csb

Upper garden steep sloped thermal belt, Lower garden frost prone
My Wunderground Station in lower garden: KCASANTA178

#8 _Keith

_Keith

• IPS MEMBER
  • 8,506 posts

Posted 23 December 2013 - 09:30 PM

I am thinking of trying one of these.   Might be able to put my hands on one very soon.  But these reports aren't too encouraging for Zone 9a.

In my post I sometimes express "MY" opinion.   Please do not feel insulted if your opinion differs from my opinion.  That is fine.  You get to have one, I get to have one.  Its kind of like they teach you in Kindergarten, but we don't even have to share.  Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data.  Other terms may apply.

#9 Walt

Walt

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 03:15 AM

I am thinking of trying one of these.   Might be able to put my hands on one very soon.  But these reports aren't too encouraging for Zone 9a.

IMO, based on my own experience with Becariophoenix Mad. windows, it would be an exercise in futility to try and grow one in zone 9a. I had a nice one. Lasted about two years in the ground before a freeze killed it. Further, I had it planted in a protected (semi-treed area). The one thing I don't remember is just what my low temperature was and the duration time below 32 degrees F that ultimately killed my palm.

I have a windowless form in the ground, but it's only went through one winter (last winter, that was mild and didn't drop below 32 degrees), plus I have it growing beneath the canopy of a carrotwood tree. My Beca. is still small enough that I can protect it with supplemental heat and coverings, which I will probably do if a freeze is forecasted.

Mad about palms

#10 Brahea Axel

Brahea Axel

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 07:39 AM

Brett's beccariophoenix supposedly made it through the 2007 freeze unscathed, as did another one in someone else's garden. I don't think it's a 9a palm, but once it's gained some size, it's probably an upper 9b/ cool 10a palm. I'd rate it similar in hardiness to kentiopsis oliviformis.

Read About my palms here: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/northern-california-palms/

#11 Brahea Axel

Brahea Axel

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,571 posts

Posted 30 December 2013 - 11:50 AM

Update: the beccariophoenix 'windows' on the bottom of the hill under canopy finally gave up the ghost. All leaves wilted, spear pulled, definitely rotting. Tossed it on the compost pile. The last specimen on top of the hill still going strong. 

I still think this is a hardy palm, but it needs warm Winter nights >50F to recover. It's got very little chill tolerance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users