IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Nurseries are great!

Scott

I finally found a nursery I had no idea was there. It's called Wild Palms in Sylmar. A spreading mass of Palms.

An extreme budget, I found this Chamaerops for $5.50

100_2385.JPG

I also bought this Strelitzia Nicolai - He's small now, but he'll soon be the beast!

100_2386.JPG

Scott

San Fernando Valley, California

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Also, I dug up a volunteer washingtonia that was lodged between a pipe and a retaining wall. It was impossible to get all of his roots. I'm afraid he probably won't make it. :(

But he's planted with native soil and compost. Does anybody think he's got a chance?

100_2387.JPG

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

Scott,

I've (as of yet) been unable to kill a Washingtonia when digging them up. I regularly dig them up when they're a foot or so tall, & transplant them at my place of business; sort of a Johnny- Palm Tree kind'a thing. Anyway, when I'm rough with them, they shock a bit & most leaves turn brown, but they always seem to recover. I'm convinced that after nuclear war the world will be populated only by cockroaches & Washingtonias...

B/R's

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Dear Scott,

this is Kris Achar from India.(New Member) the pictures are good and iam glad you had a nice deal. i like to know wheather the location in the photos is it the nursery or you residence.because i find a lovely BisMarkia in the back ground of your 1st Photo.if you own it iam all the more happy for you.

I wish to ask a silly question so do bear with me friends_

Why all guys from Canada to Mexico try to grow Washingtonia

Robusta inside their house or green house in very cold areas.

this veriety seems to be very very common & cheap looking stuff,which are adopted by their goverments to decorate thier

side walks in parks and high ways. Meaning less of intreast is

shown for Breha armata, washingtonia Filifera,washingtonia Filibusta, med fan palm, jubaea chilensis,bis marks,sabal mexicana,butia capita Hybrid, triangle palm,bottle palm.

We down here in india with very hot summers and very mild winters cannot dream of growing all your verieties since guys in your place think all palms grow fine in indian sub continent.

but it is not true india is not malyasia or indonesia in terms as climate and soil conditions.the plams do grow and surrive but the leaves turn yellow and appear life-less due to heat and

air is hot. and lastly we do not have easy accesses to palm seeds sites internationally due to foregin exchange regulation

which prohibits useage of credit cards for doing international

item purchases.

So you guys are the luckiest lot who are living in America & Europe for having easy accesses to seeds and plants that you like !

Hello Quaman58 how are you. And your joke on life after necular holocast is bit frightening since i hate cocoruches &

washingtonia's .Hey I was just joking !

U.n.o and IEAE are doing their best in reducing necular threats from rogue nations. let's pray as we live for hundred years and

also plant 100 healthy palms & Cycas that which could speak

about our Member's Taste by future generations to come By.

One Man One Tree..

Love,

Kris (to all my friends).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

Armstrong Garden Center in Glendora has several Bismarks (like the size in your picture) and 1 large Brahea Armata. I never really see these sold around here. I'm very tempted to buy the Bismark, but I'm afraid it might not do well out here in the canyon.

Neel,

If you are unsure abou the survivability of a Bismarck in your area, I would suggest not purchasing one from Armstrong, Home Depot, etc . Most of them tend to come from Florida and can be a little tricky their firt year in CA from FL. California grown and hardened Bismarcks would be the best bet. I have a post in the Palms/Seeds for sale forum that you may be interested in...

Bismarcks

John Mendoza

Landscape Designer, Owner

Tropical Vibe Nursery and Landscape

www.tropicalvibe.com

-Full Landscape design and installation

-Wide variety of palms and tropicals, centrally located in Orange County

-Complete line of garden care products available everyday

Hi Scott,

A Washingtonia often survives with only one root still attached.  How do you think seedlings grow in sidewalk cracks?  Don't give up on that one just yet.  Send another picture in a year or two when its 10 feet tall.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Hi, Thanks for all of the replies!

Kris- That is my home. I bought the Bismarkia a few months ago, and he seems real happy. The place where I intended him to go is now being given over instead to Bambusa Oldhamii. The reason being is it's a flat roof house with alot of glass (1950's modern) and in 107+ F. days, it's cooking inside. It was 97 F. in the house last Satuday! So hopefully the oldhamii will provide quick shade, and keep things on the tropical side.

You mention Washintonias. Well, when I started off with palms, I knew nothing of all the magnificent species. I just thought I'd plant a bunch of Washies. One day I ran accross Fairchild's gallery and was amazed. Then this forum... And now, I've been trying to get all different kinds. But I still like   Washingtonias. I guess it's an L.A. thing.

Ray- I hope to be able to post that picture, and by then, all the other palms I have should be planted along with the Oldhamii.

One question for anybody - Do you guys like the REALLY LARGE plants to. I mean alot of these palms are huge. Now I've got this Strelitzia Nicolai, Oldhamii on the way. Am I subconsiencely trying to create a jungle?

Thanks!

Scott

Scott

Sunset Climate Zone 18

• 11 years later...

Hadda doink this, if you're still around.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.