IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Dypsis ambositrae

edric

I have 3 ambos and none of them look the same. One does resemble Ed's and one is like Rob's but the 3rd purchased D. ambo wild form is different altogher.

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

ok here is my ambo

ambositrae gurus did I get a real one or false one?

I'm no guru but looks to me like you may have one of the ones with fewer, tougher, and longer leaflets. A small proportion seem to come out like that and I'm wondering if this could be hybridisation with decipiens or a form of decipiens from the collection area.

cheers Richard

I have 3 ambos and none of them look the same. One does resemble Ed's and one is like Rob's but the 3rd purchased D. ambo wild form is different altogher.

Peachy

Pictures? Go on, make my day.

cheers Richard

Ed,

To me, yours looks like like it might be a D. baronii type.

Triode,

I'm pretty sure yours is Dypsis decipiens.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Ed,

To me, yours looks like like it might be a D. baronii type.

Triode,

I'm pretty sure yours is Dypsis decipiens.

MATTY-

got a photo of the real deal that I can A/B with mine ?

Here's a shot from 2008 and the same plants last year from 2010. Notice the much more numerous and softer leaflets. This is what I'm calling the true D. ambositrae but I've seen some mention of very similar looking plants that are different and may be a contender for the real ambo. I don't have any experience with those other plants as far as I can tell. The seedlings that I currently have seem like they are just like this same plant pictured above.

post-126-084294900 1315853716_thumb.jpg

post-126-051541300 1315853721_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Ed,

I looked at your picture again and I'm looking at some of the other plants in the background. Some of them appear to be more consistent with what I'm used to seeing as D. ambositrae. It's always hard to tell from pics, but I'm speculating that you might be experiencing what we've had happen out here, which is a batch of true D. ambositrae seed "cut" with some Dypsis baronii types. The last Dypsis baronii type that was mixed into D. ambositrae was the most fastest, most sun tolerant clumping dypsis that I've ever seen. That's what the one in front reminds me of.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Very nice Tim, whatever it is.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

I found this really nice set of old pics showing the strong juvenille red petioles on, what I'm growing as, the true Dypsis ambositrae. The color starts to fade after this stage, turning more of a rust color. The red is still there, but a thick waxy coating covers it.

post-126-012640300 1315954662_thumb.jpg

post-126-064135000 1315954666_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

I bought two of these from Perrito as ambositrae. Here's the first pinnate leaf on one of them.

Pinnate25.jpg

The number of leaflets has increased significantly in the three leaves since.

Full25.jpg

I found this really nice set of old pics showing the strong juvenille red petioles on, what I'm growing as, the true Dypsis ambositrae. The color starts to fade after this stage, turning more of a rust color. The red is still there, but a thick waxy coating covers it.

Matt, are you seeing the grey ramenta on your plants?

cheers

Richard

Grey ramenta, as in the hairs on the underside of the leaflets? I'll have to look.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Tim / matty,

Your plants appear to look just like what D. ambositrae should look like. IMO...

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

Tim's plant and my plant are differnt. Tim's plant most reminds me of that double headed freak that Steve (Urban Rainforest) has. It's like halfway between Dypsis decipiens and Dypsis ambositrae. Never the less, I'm 99% sure that Tim's plant is different than mine.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Im no expert and tims plant is spectacular but to me it looks like a stretched out decepiens, not sure how much sun it actually gets but by the moss on the fence I would say it stays pretty dark. But then again thats my personal opinion and can be completely wrong

You'd have a hard time convincing me that true ambositrae, (Kindreo), which Matty's palm is, and Tim's palm is not, will survive St. Augustine winters, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Ed,

Did you look at your first pic and my comments on it? I bet that front one is a different plant. Not sure about the ones in the back 'cause it's hard to tell from the pic. Got any close ups of the stems of these?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Yup. That looks like the D. ambo. What is that front one, that is going pinnate, in your first pic?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Exactly the same seed recovered, and it looked just like the one in the photo I just posted, until recently, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

If it starts to throw white petioles and appears to be a D. baronii type clumper then throw it out in the sun and watch what happens. I suspect that it's that super duper baronii.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Grey ramenta, as in the hairs on the underside of the leaflets? I'll have to look.

You're on to it Matt. POM describes the presence of grey ramenta on ambos. I know Len/LJG has a plant with this but I have not seen it here on plants up to just trunking size. Maybe it takes a while to appear.

Cheers

R

Here's what Palms Of Madagascar says about the ramenta on D. ambositrae:

"Distant tufts of pale grey ramenta over almost entire length of midrib"

I assume that "distant" refers to the spacing in between the ramenta, which, by the pics I just took of my palms, seems to be a good description of the ramenta spacing. Strangely, I could not see any ramenta on the older leaves, only the newest, largest leaves. Did the old ramenta fall off with age or did they not exist at that time on the younger palm? I don't know.

I wouldn't call the ramenta "grey". They look more brown to me.

POM also talks about the veining on the leaflets, with only the midrib vein being prominent and viewable from the top of the leaf. This is also consistant with my palm.

POM also talks about the very slight grouping of the leaflets on the rachis but the leaflets still appearing regular and held in a 90 degree "V". I never noticed it before but if you look at some of my previous pics in this thread, the leaflets are very slightly grouped on the rachis.

post-126-078292800 1316102665_thumb.jpg

post-126-078166600 1316102670_thumb.jpg

post-126-019629600 1316102675_thumb.jpg

post-126-021126500 1316102680_thumb.jpg

post-126-002838700 1316102686_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Thanks Matt, they look a little different to Len's which are a pale grey to white in the photo (and possibly a different shape?) but as he points out that they start off brown and fade to grey. Seems like this characteristic takes time to establish and no doubt could be variable but nonetheless interesting to keep an eye on as a clue to IDing the "almost ambos".

cheers

Richard

Edited by richnorm

I'm not familiar with Len's plant, or this other version of Dypsis ambositrae. Maybe he'll post some pics here. Or is there another thread that I can view?

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Today I planted out three of my D.ambositrae cultivated from seeds (RPS).They are now 3 years and 9 months old(+- 1and 1/2 year older than Edric´s shown above). Maybe too long in too little pots.

I hope they will grow better in the ground..............:hmm:

post-465-002851300 1316121499_thumb.jpg

post-465-046580900 1316121569_thumb.jpg

post-465-082996500 1316121683_thumb.jpg

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Today I planted out three of my D.ambositrae cultivated from seeds (RPS).They are now 3 years and 9 months old(+- 1and 1/2 year older than Edric´s shown above). Maybe too long in too little pots.

I hope they will grow better in the ground..............:hmm:

They look fantastic Alberto, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Here are the two I got as ambositrae, not sure if true or not:

This one I got as a small one gal. and planted late last year. It has been a steady grow. Its in late afternoon sun. It seemed to cruse through the first winter

post-4818-032926000 1316147012_thumb.jpgpost-4818-007356600 1316147015_thumb.jpg

Got as a 5 gal and planted in spring. Its in about half day sun and has been growing good. It seens to show more white in the crown area, not sure if it is because it is bigger.

post-4818-098236400 1316147248_thumb.jpgpost-4818-037136800 1316147251_thumb.jpg

Im not sure if they are the real ones but they were purchased as such.

Northern San Diego County, Inland

This is mine shortly after being purchased from an Ebay seller as D. ambrositrae in 2008 and then again this summer. It's really starting to take off after ground planting earlier this year.

July 2008, seedling in a gallon pot.

post-1809-072246700 1316148840_thumb.jpg

July 2008

post-1809-038898600 1316150353_thumb.jpg

On August 29th 2011 with spike.

post-1809-016238100 1316149470_thumb.jpg

On September 9th 2011 with the spike opened.

post-1809-032741800 1316149073_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

Randall,Nick ...does your ambositraes have any sign of that´´ramenta´´? (that little brown/gray dots on the leaflets)

Mine young palms don´t show nothing similar to the ´´ramenta´´that Matty´s older palm shows....

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Nkb/Randall both your plants seem to be the real deal and I have a fee younger ones which seem to know show the white crown until a little larger. But they all look good and before u know it it'll be trunking