Maui

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Firepalm

Firepalm

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

Am heading to Maui with my wife at the end of the month/first week of October for a little vacation. Does anyone have any suggestions for public or private palm gardens that I should try and visit while I'm there? I know most of the really well known gardens are on the big island, but was hoping I might find a few in Maui. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Phoenix Bob

Phoenix Bob

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:15 AM

Am heading to Maui with my wife at the end of the month/first week of October for a little vacation. Does anyone have any suggestions for public or private palm gardens that I should try and visit while I'm there? I know most of the really well known gardens are on the big island, but was hoping I might find a few in Maui. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

#3 Phoenix Bob

Phoenix Bob

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 01:49 AM

]Maui Tropical Gardens are a great place to see palms. Located at 200 Iao Valley Rd. just west of Wailuku. I wish more of the palms had specific I.D. info for each specimen. Spent way too much time with my nose in a palm reference book trying to match pics. with those palms I did not readily recognize. Overall experience was great. In addition to palms , the place is loaded with other spectacular tropicals. Another bonus: both times i've been there I was totally alone and had the place to myself. Because the gardens are located at the mouth of the Iao Valley on the windward side of the West Maui Mountains, the trades will almost surely produce rain on most days; be prepared. Continuing further west into the valley from the gardens will bring you to the Iao Needle rock formation......impressive sight with beautiful paved pathways and bridges over the Iao Stream below the needle. Don't miss this place or its history. The entire area is less than a 20 minute drive from Kehei/Wailea or fewer than 30 minutes from Lahaina. Enjoy!

Phoenix Bob

#4 PiousPalms

PiousPalms

Moe'uhane Oihana mahi ai

• IPS MEMBER
  • 5,060 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 06:28 AM

maybe see some ulu...

http://ntbg.org/breadfruit/collection/

directions...

http://ntbg.org/gard...ahanu-tours.php

William DeBoe

Aloha mai no, aloha aku; o ka huhu ka mea e ola 'ole ai.

When love is given, love should be returned; anger is the thing that gives no life.

#5 Firepalm

Firepalm

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 170 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 10:12 AM

Both of those look promising. Thanks Phoenix Bob and Pious Palms.

Any one else have any other suggestions?

#6 JasonD

JasonD

• IPS MEMBER
  • 916 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 09:38 AM

Both of those look promising. Thanks Phoenix Bob and Pious Palms.

Any one else have any other suggestions?

I remember visiting a small botanical garden in Kahului down on the port. Also the Keanae Arboretum is on the road to Hana, halfway, and worth stopping for. There are some interesting plantations up on the slopes of Haleakala - http://en.wikipedia..../Hosmer's_Grove and http://www.kulabotanicalgarden.com/ .
Jason Dewees
Inner Sunset District
San Francisco, California
Sunset zone 17
USDA zone 10a
21 inches / 530mm annual rainfall, mostly October to April
Humidity averages 60 to 85 percent year-round.
Summer: 67F/55F | 19C/12C
Winter: 56F/44F | 13C/6C
40-year extremes: 96F/26F | 35.5C/-3.8C

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users