Discovery Island Palms- fm Joe Palma

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Stevetoad

Stevetoad

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,791 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 10:15 AM

Went to Joes place this weekend and got some great deals on some really nice palms. Joes a great guy with a great garden. his palms are healthy a very well priced. i'll be going back again as soon as i can.
"it's not dead it's sleeping"
Santee ca, zone10a/9b
18 miles from the ocean
avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 Darold Petty

Darold Petty

• IPS MEMBER
  • 1,143 posts

Posted 20 September 2011 - 07:06 AM

Ditto that, Joe always has great palms at great prices. Make a verbal appointment with him and be assured he will be right on time, even days later.
http://www.discoveryislandpalms.com
San Francisco, California

#3 nachocarl

nachocarl

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 469 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:57 PM

Iím in total agreement with the previous reviews! Discovery Island Palms is not only a great place to look at palms, but has great selection of quality plants available for purchase. During my visits Joe always spends time to discuss each species and his experience with them as well as advise on how to best maintain them. I have always been quite happy with the material including a couple of R. baueriís, oceana, and cheesmaniií!

Thanks Joe!
Carl

Vista, CA

#4 AdrianV

AdrianV

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 November 2011 - 09:10 PM

I flew down about a month ago to purchase some palm trees from Joe.... I wish I had brought a larger truck! He has a great selection to choose from, with great prices. I highly recommend Discovery Island Palms! I will be back in the Spring!

Here is a photo of a Kentia I bought while I was there.

Attached File  IMG_85211.jpg   295.62KB   36 downloadsAttached File  IMG_85261.jpg   318.1KB   24 downloads

#5 DALION

DALION

• IPS MEMBER
  • 642 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:07 PM

Thanks Joe! I had never been there before today and have to admit the palms were great. I was there to help my cousin get some palms (new palm addicts in the making) and Joe took very good care of them and answered all there questions. I saw many palms I would like to buy but spent too much already this month so have to wait for my spring palm allowance. But, for any one of you with an itch for a new palm make sure to call Joe and see what he has.

#6 pfancy

pfancy

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 09:08 AM

great trees and prices. just give joe a call and even if its not on his list he might have it or can find it for you-thanks joe
"I'm not crazy. It's not knowing what I don't know that drives me insane"
Patrick
pfancy01@gmail.com

#7 Firepalm

Firepalm

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 166 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 10:29 AM

Have bought a number of palms from Joe over the past couple years. He always has nicely grown plants and very reasonable prices. Joe is a straight shooter and his nursery is always near the top of my list when looking for new palms. Definitely recommended.

#8 Brahea Axel

Brahea Axel

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,909 posts

Posted 22 March 2013 - 10:31 AM

I have one word to describe Joe's nursery in Southern California: awesome!!! He was a lot of fun to do business with, his inventory is superb, super healthy specimens, and a fantastic value, priced very competitively. What distinguishes Joe from the pack is that Joe carefully does his market and pricing research and tries to stay competitive and offer a good value to his customers. I am very happy to have brought a 16 footer truck, four of us bought palms from him to put in the truck. Below are some pictures of the stuff I got to buy from him. I could seriously have gone broke at his nursery he has so much great stuff. It's a candy store for palm nuts!

Double ravena glauca in a 20g, beautiful specimen

20130316_165652_zpsc944f95f.jpg

chamaedorea hooperiana in a 15g, I am not telling the price for this, let me just say it was an insane value, and at some other nursery, the same price would have bought me a dinky 5g specimen.

20130316_165149_zpsa2415bf0.jpg

Read About my palms here: http://www.cloudforest.com/cafe/northern-california-palms/
Sawubona! Palms aren't much fun unless there are others to share them with.
36°N/550f elev. Santa Cruz Mountains Sunset 16, Koppen Csb

Upper garden steep sloped thermal belt, Lower garden frost prone
My Wunderground Station in lower garden: KCASANTA178

#9 Sabal Steve

Sabal Steve

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 23 August 2013 - 06:55 PM

Stand up guy with extremely fair prices!
Zone 10a/10b
Sunset Zone 24/23

#10 Sabal Steve

Sabal Steve

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:54 PM

Went back today and got a few copernicas from joe, which were each priced less than your average lunch!
Zone 10a/10b
Sunset Zone 24/23

#11 Sabal Steve

Sabal Steve

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,399 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

Picked up a Sabal maritima, a Sabal uresana, and a Beccariophoenix alfredii the other day. Joe even threw in a few freebies. There is very little that he doesn't carry.

Edited by Sabal Steve, 21 June 2014 - 08:42 PM.

Zone 10a/10b
Sunset Zone 24/23

#12 Mantarey

Mantarey

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 32 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 11:33 AM

:greenthumb: - Joe is a great palm grower, really seems to know his stuff, very helpful and sells strong healthy palms, young or mature. 

-REY

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users