IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Discovery Island Palms- fm Joe Palma

Stevetoad

Went to Joes place this weekend and got some great deals on some really nice palms. Joes a great guy with a great garden. his palms are healthy a very well priced. i'll be going back again as soon as i can.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I’m in total agreement with the previous reviews! Discovery Island Palms is not only a great place to look at palms, but has great selection of quality plants available for purchase. During my visits Joe always spends time to discuss each species and his experience with them as well as advise on how to best maintain them. I have always been quite happy with the material including a couple of R. baueri’s, oceana, and cheesmanii’!

Thanks Joe!

Carl

Vista, CA

• 1 month later...

I flew down about a month ago to purchase some palm trees from Joe.... I wish I had brought a larger truck! He has a great selection to choose from, with great prices. I highly recommend Discovery Island Palms! I will be back in the Spring!

Here is a photo of a Kentia I bought while I was there.

post-5796-085715100 1320728972_thumb.jpgpost-5796-013102900 1320728988_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Thanks Joe! I had never been there before today and have to admit the palms were great. I was there to help my cousin get some palms (new palm addicts in the making) and Joe took very good care of them and answered all there questions. I saw many palms I would like to buy but spent too much already this month so have to wait for my spring palm allowance. But, for any one of you with an itch for a new palm make sure to call Joe and see what he has.

• 1 month later...

great trees and prices. just give joe a call and even if its not on his list he might have it or can find it for you-thanks joe

"I'm not crazy. It's not knowing what I don't know that drives me insane"

Patrick

pfancy01@gmail.com

• 2 months later...

Have bought a number of palms from Joe over the past couple years. He always has nicely grown plants and very reasonable prices. Joe is a straight shooter and his nursery is always near the top of my list when looking for new palms. Definitely recommended.

• 10 months later...

I have one word to describe Joe's nursery in Southern California: awesome!!! He was a lot of fun to do business with, his inventory is superb, super healthy specimens, and a fantastic value, priced very competitively. What distinguishes Joe from the pack is that Joe carefully does his market and pricing research and tries to stay competitive and offer a good value to his customers. I am very happy to have brought a 16 footer truck, four of us bought palms from him to put in the truck. Below are some pictures of the stuff I got to buy from him. I could seriously have gone broke at his nursery he has so much great stuff. It's a candy store for palm nuts!

Double ravena glauca in a 20g, beautiful specimen

20130316_165652_zpsc944f95f.jpg

chamaedorea hooperiana in a 15g, I am not telling the price for this, let me just say it was an insane value, and at some other nursery, the same price would have bought me a dinky 5g specimen.

20130316_165149_zpsa2415bf0.jpg

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Picked up a Sabal maritima, a Sabal uresana, and a Beccariophoenix alfredii the other day. Joe even threw in a few freebies. There is very little that he doesn't carry.

Edited by Sabal Steve

• 2 months later...

:greenthumb: - Joe is a great palm grower, really seems to know his stuff, very helpful and sells strong healthy palms, young or mature.

-REY

• 2 months later...

I'm from Omaha, NE but was in the area luckily with my pick up....and wasted no time trying to fill it for my trip back to Omaha. If I'm in the area again with my truck...this time I'll rent a enclosed one way trailer and fill it up as well.

Endless variety of well grown and inexpensive palms to look at.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Made my second....and third since I had to make a quick trip back during the same vacation and had space left in truck.

Research what you want if possible, have him email you a list so you can minimize time there or you can get overwhelmed with all the choices.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Sabal Steve said:

Bought a few new plants from Joe today, and was pleased as always. Great convo, and the best prices in San Diego!

What did you get?

On June 8, 2016 2:33:08 PM, Hammer said:

What did you get?

I picked up a Cocothrinax for myself, a R. bauerii for my neighbor, and a Hyphanae for across the street.  Gonna be epic.  Joe's been busy, got some killer stuff growing.

• Upvote 1

• 6 months later...

Great seller, great selection, great prices.  Very accommodating with my need to visit at an early hour, too.  Highly recommended!

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

• 3 months later...

I met Joe today. He is a wonderful host. Gave me a tour of Discovery Island Palms. The man has a hidden jungle behind the entrance.  I mean all type of of palms. Joe is very knowledgeable in his trade. He even helped me out with several green thumb inquiries I had for him. I can't say enough of his business. The place is overwhelming with beautiful lush green palms and the like. Joe is a very nice person and extremely helpful.  His prices? Just amaaazing!   I was interested in a 5 and 1/2 foot tall B. Fenestralis he had in a 7 gallon pot. At a 7 gallon price!

I also picked up an exquisitely gorgeous 5 gal B. Alfredii (Almost 4' tall). With the newest leaves fully pinnate!  Both specimens are intensely green, have quite thick petiole stems and are a sight to see.

Here are some of the pics. I am also including one picture of a very small cubby corner portion of Discover Island Palms. His inventory is nothing less than incredible variety of strikingly green and healthy exemplars! Honestly, it's love at first sight.

I left with a smile. 

I cannot recommend his business enough.  Go and peruse his stock. You won't be disappointed.

Thank you Joe Palma!

(Now I only wish I had a larger garden!!) 

:greenthumb::greenthumb::greenthumb:

20170324_joesplacepalmt.jpg

20170324_2palmtalk.jpg

20170324_5palmtalk.jpg

20170324_4palmtalk.jpg

20170324_1palmtalk.jpg

20170324_6palmtalk.jpg

20170324_7palmtalk.jpg

• Upvote 2

5 year high 42.2C/108F (07/06/2018)--5 year low 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)--Lowest recent/current winter: 4.6C/40.3F (1/19/2023)

scream!

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.