IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Palm Society of Southern California

JEFF from Trabuco Canyon CA

SEPTEMBER MEETING PSSC

SATURDAY, SEPT. 17TH, VISTA and OCEANSIDE, CA

TWO GARDENS AND A POTLUCK

Our September Meeting of the PSSC will be on Saturday, September 17th, in northern San Diego county in the towns of Vista and east Oceanside. We will be visiting two gardens of members of our Society. This will be a potluck meeting, so bring a nice dish to share with others. A Board Meeting will proceed the meeting at the first garden at 9:00 AM. An auction and raffle will end the meeting at the second garden. As there will probably be lots of sun, remember to wear appropriate clothing and bring a hat for sun protection.

10:30 AM: ARRIVE McELMURRY GARDEN

We will start at the garden of Barry and Donna McElmurry at 652 Altamira Court, Vista, 92081. Phone: 760 630 9148 This garden was started in 1992 and features about 150 different species of palms, with specimens of Acoelorrhaphae, Archontophoenix, Bismarkia, Butia, Licuala, Rhapidophyllum, Sabal, and Brahea. Barry will admit that he's had to deal with soil issues and has a theory that planting smaller plants enables them to adapt better to his poor soil. Note: there will be no bathrooms available at this location and guests are not allowed inside the house.

DIRECTIONS: From Freeway 5 go east of Freeway 78. From Freeway 15 go west on Freeway 78. Exit at Emerald and head south on South Emerald. Proceed uphill, noticing that Emerald changes to Sunset. In approximately 3/4 mile look for Marazon, and turn left. In approximately 50 yards further, turn right on Altamira and go to 652 Altamira.

11:30 AM: DEPART McELMURRY GARDEN

11:45 AM: ARRIVE AT EHRLICH GARDEN

Our second garden tour will be at the home of Victor and Angelina Ehrlich at 210 Richard Ct, Oceanside, CA 92056. Phone: (760) 295-7767 To pursue his palm interests, Victor moved from Northern California and set roots in warmer Oceanside in 2004. Immediately he began hardscape improvements and has planted almost 200 species of palms. These include such things as Archontophoenix, Rhopalostylis, Trachycarpus, Brahea, Butia, Ceroxylon, Coccothrinax, Copernicia, Livistona, Parajubaea, Phooenix, Pritchardia, Ravenea, Dypsis, Chamaedorea, Sabal, and Syagrus. The garden is immaculate, labeled and has nice companion plants. It is a good example of what palms can do in about 7 years in the ground. There will be a portable bathroom on the street at this location. Tables and chairs will be set up. Unload any food dishes you have and bring place any donations of plants in the driveway area.

DIRECTIONS: Make your way back to Freeway 78 and go east (right). Exit at Melrose Drive going north (left off Freeway). After you pass Oceanside Boulevard, turn right at the first red light (Sagewood Dr.), turn left after one block at Willowbrook Dr. and turn right at the first street which is Richard Court. The garden is on the left at 210 Richard Court. It may be best to park on Willowbrook Dr. because Richard Ct. may be crowded with cars.

12:45 PM: POTLUCK BRUNCH

1:30 PM: SOCIETY ANNOUNCEMENTS, PLANT RAFFLE AND AUCTION

2:30 PM: MEETING ADJOURNMENT

DONATIONS OF ANY PLANTS FOR THE AUCTION OR RAFFLE WOULD BE APPRECIATED. LIMIT: 8 PLANTS FOR VENDORS. PLEASE BRING SIZES THAT ARE EASY TO CARY.

Jeff Rood

A Board Meeting will proceed the meeting at the first garden at 9:00 AM. ? :blink:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

THIS MEETING IS OPEN TO ALL, PSSC MEMBER OR NOT!

PLEASE COME AND JOIN US AT THE MEETING!

IT WILL BE GREAT TO SEE YOU!

We hope you'll join our group as a member, but it's not required.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

who's comin?

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I'm in Dave! :D

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

me? :blink:

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!