IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix purpurea

doubravsky

24 degrees... two specimens in different areas of the yard. Both from 5 gallon pots 3/05. The more exposed one - severe browning on all leaves. The other - some spotting, some brown tips.

Definitely seems more tender than cunninghamia

Edit 1/30/07.. both appear dead. Way more tender than cunninghamia.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

Here's a pic of the more affected of the two...

post-33-1168907204_thumb.jpg

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

One's in the ground, seen about 29 FF for two days, protected from above, no damage.  Another, about 27 FF, two days, also no damage.  (Heavy cover.)

So far.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

2 gallon plant that saw 29 and no damage but like dave's it is under cover of other potted plants next to a north facing wall with a slight roof overhang.  It is located just beneath a remote sensor that read 29 on Saturday night.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Small triple, less than 2' tall, 2nd winter in ground, only cover is low shadecloth structure.  Lowest low: 31, dry. No damage.

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

5g with undivided leaves, 27F, protected only by shade cover, newest leaf was discolored < 20%

David Vogelsang

OC, California

Zone 10a

Had 4 of these seedlings, some with substantial protection from nearby palms, and ALL completely fried to a crisp from 5 hours at 27F.  All dead aleady.  Largest seedling about 5' tall- none trunking yet (and now never will)

12 foot tall purpurea got burned bad.  should defoliate and pull through through.  still air temp was 30.9 F, windchill temp probably 25 F.

Dave -- that's about what mine looked like after it got a little too much mid-day sun last summer. It still hasn't recovered because it throws spears so slowly.

Punta Gorda, Fla.

26 53 N 82 02 W

on a large saltwater canal basin 1/2 mile from beautiful Charlotte Harbor 10A/10B microclimate (I hope)

5g, saw 32 degrees (measured under patio cover). Completely exposed, temp probably lower than 32. Obvious damage all leafs.

15g nearby has damage as well, not as extensive.

[img/]http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i3/Joepalma/A_purpurea_5g.jpg

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

Photo I hope, forgot how to do this.

A_purpurea_5g.jpg

Joe Dombrowski

San Marcos, CA

• 3 months later...

It's official. The two 5 gallon plants pictured above have carked it. Several one gallon plants were done in also.

My 15 gallon plant (little initial damage) has only the new spike but is moving upward!

Joe Dombrowski

San Marcos, CA

My two carked it as well.......

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

• 1 month later...

One plant, in ground and about 8 ft., two of four leaves completly burnt and two with no damage at 29 degrees.

Alan Brickey