PalmTalk Advertising

#42 sonoranfans

sonoranfans

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 01 August 2007 - 08:11 AM

(epicure3 @ Aug. 01 2007,00:06)
Lookin' much better Tom.[/quote]
Yeah I was really concerned that some of my favorite palms were not going to survive, but my two largest have evolved 5 new spears(some of which have opened) since the freeze.  I do have a smaller one(in the ground only 1 1/2 years) that did nto fare so well, it has only 1 new palm and one spear at this time.  Bizzies are tougher than I thought.  I find it interesting that all exposed fronds/spears on all my Bizzies and my phx roebelinii were toasted, and they are both rated by various palm authorities for about 25-26 degrees F.  I guess the bizzies are about as cold tolerant as the ratings say.
Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

#43 sonoranfans

sonoranfans

• IPS MEMBER
  • 3,093 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

Nov 07 the largest bizzie has recovered with 8 new opened fronds and 2 spears rising up.  I took this aspect view as it shows the most recent opened frond.
Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

#44 fastfeat

fastfeat

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 05 November 2007 - 06:17 PM

Nice recovery! Heat definitely helps. Hope this winter's better than last year...
SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.
'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...
_____
"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

#45 epicure3

epicure3

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 3,761 posts

Posted 10 November 2007 - 09:26 PM

(fastfeat @ Nov. 05 2007,21:17)
Nice recovery! Heat definitely helps. Hope this winter's better than last year...[/quote]
I have trouble imagining how it can be worse.
Coastal San Diego, California
Z10b
Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean
warm summer/mild winter

#46 fastfeat

fastfeat

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 2,628 posts

Posted 11 November 2007 - 05:47 AM

(epicure3 @ Nov. 11 2007,00:26)

(fastfeat @ Nov. 05 2007,21:17)
Nice recovery! Heat definitely helps. Hope this winter's better than last year...[/quote]
I have trouble imagining how it can be worse.[/quote]
"Worse" would be if FL has your kind of cold this Winter... :P

Sorry...
SoCal and SoFla; zone varies by location.
'Home is where the heart suitcase is'...
_____
"If, as they say, there truly is no rest for the wicked, how can the Devil's workshop be filled with idle hands?"

#47 freakypalmguy

freakypalmguy

Super Freaky

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 01 December 2007 - 08:22 AM

(m_crowther @ Mar. 14 2007,01:44)

(PalmGuyWC @ Feb. 07 2007,12:48)
My Bismarkia, about 4" high, is looking worse and worse. Now the center fronds are turning tan. It's low was 23F and many other nights of below freezing. I think it's gonna bite the dust. Oh well, leaves a nice sunny spot for something more hardy. It was an "experiment" anyway.

Dick[/quote]
My Bizzie very similar in size to Dicks, but still in a small box, just pulled the spear out, completely rotten :( . Low of 22F and many nights below freezing.

Another Bizzie, same size but in the ground is doing OK so far.[/quote]
Update on this Bizzie. 22F for a few nights and about a week below freezing.

I thought it was a gonner for sure. It was in a small box and as described above, the spear pulled and it sat for a couple months with nothing happening, just an empty hole .

One day I figured it was time to throw it away but first I got out my sawzall and started hacking at it. About 4inches above the soil line, I was surprised to find live tissue so I figured I would leave it alone and see what happens. Within an hour it had pushed out about 1/4 inch and a day later it was out about an inch. Almost like it was jammed and cutting off the old dead trunk released the pressure.

It has grown steadily ever since. The funny thing is the seedling next to it never skipped a beat.

Posted Image

Posted Image
Matt in Temecula, CA
Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and the ocean.
Posted Image

#48 freakypalmguy

freakypalmguy

Super Freaky

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 4,007 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 07:03 AM

Here is an image of it just a few months earlier.

Attached Thumbnails

• July07_024x.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA
Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and the ocean.
Posted Image

#49 STEVE IN SO CAL

STEVE IN SO CAL

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 09:22 AM

1 plant, 7' OA height

22f, multiple hours and nights below freezing

10% leaf burn, fully recovered
If global warming means I can grow Cocos Nucifera, then bring it on....

#50 STEVE IN SO CAL

STEVE IN SO CAL

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:12 AM

One plant 7' OA height

19f, many hours and nights below freezing

10% leaf burn

Fully recovered

#51 STEVE IN SO CAL

STEVE IN SO CAL

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,512 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

Three plants, large 15 gal size

19f, many hours and nights below freezing

70% leaf burn

Fully recovered

#52 southlatropical

southlatropical

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 283 posts

Posted 25 March 2008 - 04:57 AM

In late Febuary I visited a local nursery to see if I could find any left-overs from last year on sale. They had just gotten in several 25gal Bismarcks. They were huge, really nice palms for $225 ea. and had great color. Since that visit we had an extreemly mild cold snap. In some areas it dipped to 32F briefly and there was no real frost to speak of. I went back to the nurserey a few days ago and was shocked to see every one of them was fried. I can't imagine that they will not recover from such a mild event, but for now they are looking terrible. Perhaps they were grown deep in zone 10 S. Florida and given they were so mature, had no tolerance built up for cold.
Fordoche, LA
USDA zone 8b
National Arbor Day zone 9
AHS zone 9
Sunset zone 28
Gulf Coast climate with long hot and humid growing season, but short winters are cold and wet with several frosts. Typical lowest temp of between 22F-26F each winter with around a dozen or so nights below freezing.

#53 mnorell

mnorell

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 626 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 05:22 PM

We had a 15-hour freeze on 3 Jan 2008, 23.3F, plus a few other mid-20s freezes lasting about 8 hours each in mid-January. Probably a half-dozen other light freezes and frosts above 28F. The Bismarckia showed about the same level of cosmetic damage, spotty on a few (but not all) leaves, as in 2007, when the low hit 22.8F. Damage doesn't really show until Feb/March on these. But the plant is fine, I'm sure, and should start back into growth any time. We've got our 80F days with humidity and they're here to stay, so new spears should start anytime.

Regarding the fried Bizzies at the South Louisiana nursery, I'm sure they were tender plants just brought in from Florida as you suggest. I've seen others left out at the HDs in Baton Rouge and they just take minor damage in their containers with mid-20s temps, usually looking a bit better than Washingtonia robusta. If you're looking for some unblemished specimens, yesterday I was at the HD in Kenner right near the Nola Airport, and they had 7, 10 and 15 gal Bizzies at great prices. Huge! Also lots of other palms, many species in all sizes, everything from Needles to Adonidias(!).

Michael Norell

Big Pine Key, Florida | 24° 40' N 81° 21' W | elev. 4.5 ft. | Zone 11b | Calcareous substrate
- avg annual min. approx. 48F | Jan 65/75F, July 83/89F | Historical extreme: approx. 41F

Natchez, Mississippi | 31° 33' N 91° 24' W | elev. 220 ft.| zone 9a | Downtown/river-adjacent microclimate | Loess substrate
- avg min. 23F / lows: 24F | 27 | 23 | 23 | 24 | 18 | 23 | 27 | 27 | 18 (2013-14) | Jan 43/61F, July 73/93F | Extreme: 2.5F (1899)

#54 Big Tex

Big Tex

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 208 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 08:05 AM

My Bismark has been in the ground for almost 2 years. This summer it looks liek the root system has been established as the groth really took off. Six new fronds so far (1 just opened since the picture) and 2 more ready to open. I wrapped the trunk this winter in only Christmas lights. The palm is behind a 12 foot Mexican Fan Palm which somewhat protects it from North winds but no canopy to protect it from the frost. We had two mornings of a brief 27 degrees which warmed up quickly once the sun came up. There was also a light frost. The palm suffered no damage. The only problem it seemed to have was wind burn. We get some cold fronts from the NW that are sometimes sustained winds of 30mph for hours.

August 2008

Posted Image
Houston, Texas
29.8649N - 95.6521W
Elevation 114.8 ft
Sunset zone 28
USDA zone 9a
Average maximum high temperature 93.60 F
Average maximum low temperature 45.20 F
The annual average precipitation is 53.34 Inches

#55 tikitiki

tikitiki

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 958 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 11:40 AM

one with 2ft of CT two 4 leafers hit 32 last night for the 2nd consecutive night. last night with frost and no damage to any of them.
With a tin cup for a chalice
Fill it up with good red wine,
And I'm-a chewin' on a honeysuckle vine.

#56 Jerbel

Jerbel

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1 posts

Posted 27 January 2009 - 01:23 PM

I'll guarantee it was in the VERY low 20's or possibly even the high teens, and the 15 gal bizmarkia's i had stashed underneath some allspice trees showed no damage at all.

Posted Image

Hi Burt:
Is this the normal colorization of the Bismark in the winter? I have one slightly larger in the ground in Florida and was concerned that it was distressed because of the color. Thanks.

#57 Keith in SoJax

Keith in SoJax

• IPS MEMBER
  • 868 posts
  • Location:Winter Haven, Florida, USA, Zone 9A/B depending on the year.

Posted 11 June 2009 - 04:30 PM

My 8' specimen was exposed to several hard freezes this year. Lowest temps were in mid-low 20's and there was at least one heavy frost. It burnt pretty badly on all fronds horizontal or below. With the exception of the most recent frond that had opened only a day or two before the big frost, the fronds above horizontal had relatively little damage (maybe 15-20% at most). The young leaf lost about 1/2 the tissue. 4 months later in June, it's about to open it's second frond and there are two more emerging rapidly. Our weather has been swinging from hot and dry to cool and wet. We've had extremely wet weather for the last 3-4 weeks. I'm pleasantly surprised with it's performance. However if it survives more than a couple more years, I'm going to have to do some relandscaping in the backyard. There is no way I have space for full sized Bizzy!
Winter Haven, FL, about 1 hour drive (60 miles/100 km) from both Tampa and Orlando
Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun
Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.
Every 20 years or so it gets cold enough to kill arborescent Ficus benjamina to the ground.
We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates.

#58 Alicehunter2000

Alicehunter2000

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:23 PM

These were my temps in F. (most of these nights temps stayed below freezing for 2 to 12 hours per night. I have 5 Bizmarkia's in the ground.

Jan Hi Low
3 50 30
4 56 29
5 54 26
6 58 28
7 65 27
8 46 31
9 47 26
10 50 25
11 56 25
12 64 37
13 58 31
14 67 32

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a 

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

#59 Alicehunter2000

Alicehunter2000

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:28 PM

Palm #1 was the largest and most established. Full exposure with frost on approx. 5 nights. Approx 50% damage to leaves. No damage to petioles. Expect full recovery.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1.JPG
  • 2.JPG
  • 3.JPG

#60 Alicehunter2000

Alicehunter2000

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:34 PM

Palm #2 Full exposure and not fully established having only been in the ground for approx. 9 months. 50% leaf damage and some damage to petioles with damaged leaves. On leaf on the right collapsed but was only partially browned. The red and orange colors you see on this palm are not damage...just cool looking colors.

Attached Thumbnails

• 4.JPG
  • 5.JPG
  • 6.JPG

#61 Alicehunter2000

Alicehunter2000

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:36 PM

More from palm #2 with damaged leaves taken off.

Attached Thumbnails

• 7.JPG
  • 8.JPG
  • 9.JPG

#62 Alicehunter2000

Alicehunter2000

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:43 PM

Palm #3 is my best blue color Bizzy. It is going to be a stunner when it gets large. This palm received no supplemental Christmas light heat around the spear area, The others received supplemental light heat only around the spear and trunk for about 5 of the freezing nights. This little palm was covered with a tarp during 1 cold rain and on a few nights when I expected frost, but it still got frosted and was otherwise in a fully exposed position.

Attached Thumbnails

• 10.JPG
  • 11.JPG
  • 12.JPG
  • 13.JPG

#63 Alicehunter2000

Alicehunter2000

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 07:50 PM

Bizzy #4 is my most green Bizmarkia and I think is was also the most damaged. I would say it had approx. 60% leaf damage. This palm is expected ( like the others) to make a full recovery. All of my Bizmarkias had some growth throughout the cold which suprised me. This palm is in a lightly protected position under some large W.robustas.

Attached Thumbnails

• 14.JPG
  • 15.JPG
  • 16.JPG
  • 17.JPG

#64 Alicehunter2000

Alicehunter2000

• IPS MEMBER
  • 4,060 posts

Posted 24 March 2010 - 08:04 PM

Palm #5 is my biggest shocker. It has always loved this spot that I planted it in. It gets morning sun, mid day dappled sun and shade in the evening. It has been happy since the day it was planted and I have only cut 3 leaves off in almost 2 years. It is not the most blue, but it does have pretty good color. It received NO DAMAGE in its protected area near a oak tree and large S. palmetto's. I was able to provide it with Christmas lights around the base and spear for 5 of the freezing nights. I was also able to cover it with a sheet on some of the nights that I expected frost. The last picture shows the amount of vegetation around the palm. The fence blocks the west wind.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with all of my Bizmarkia's performance during this highly unusual cold winter. We had an additional 5 sporadic nights of freezing during February. Although I did not experience absolute lows for my area, the length of freezing temps was pretty extreme. Hope this info. helps anyone in my climate zone that would like to give this beautiful palm a shot.

Attached Thumbnails

• 18.JPG
  • 19.JPG
  • 20.JPG

#65 Walt

Walt

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 1,986 posts

Posted 29 March 2010 - 06:20 AM

Palm #5 is my biggest shocker. It has always loved this spot that I planted it in. It gets morning sun, mid day dappled sun and shade in the evening. It has been happy since the day it was planted and I have only cut 3 leaves off in almost 2 years. It is not the most blue, but it does have pretty good color. It received NO DAMAGE in its protected area near a oak tree and large S. palmetto's. I was able to provide it with Christmas lights around the base and spear for 5 of the freezing nights. I was also able to cover it with a sheet on some of the nights that I expected frost. The last picture shows the amount of vegetation around the palm. The fence blocks the west wind.

Overall, I am extremely pleased with all of my Bizmarkia's performance during this highly unusual cold winter. We had an additional 5 sporadic nights of freezing during February. Although I did not experience absolute lows for my area, the length of freezing temps was pretty extreme. Hope this info. helps anyone in my climate zone that would like to give this beautiful palm a shot.

David: Like many other folks have discovered, I too have come to realize that the silver form of Bismarkia noblis is hardier than what was once thought. I have seven silver bismarkia palms of various sizes planted in the ground. They only suffered some minor leaf damage to some of the lower most fronds. I had two nights of 28F degrees (two nights in a row), plus many nights in the low 30s this past winter.

The winter before last I had a low of 23 degrees and had more damage; all of the lowermost fronds were severely damaged, but the top upper half of fronds weren't damage.

I believe as your bismarkia palms grow they will fare even better under the same freeze condidions. My larger bismarkia palms (with some trunk) did better than my smallest ones.

I stopped tracking such things, but I recall getting up to 11 fronds per year on my bismarkia palms, so yours should regenerate a complete new canopy in short time.
Mad about palms

#66 Collectorpalms

Collectorpalms

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 132 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

Add Bismarckia to the compost pile for Winter 2010 here in SE Texas. Looked like they had made it, put on some new growth, then April comes and they go down hill. Today uniform spear pull on many large ones, smaller ones in pots drought stressed did okay.

#67 Austinpalm

Austinpalm

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 205 posts

Posted 03 June 2010 - 01:49 PM

One 10-gallon sized plant under live oak canopy with some mulch piled around the stem and a sheet wrapped around the fronds for protection has shown about 75% frond damage. Ultimate low was 16F with multiple lows in the uppers 20's and low 30's. Has begun put forth a new spear and appears to have survived.

Attached Thumbnails

• B. nobilis.JPG

Clay
Austin, Texas, Zone 8b/9a

#68 Sutter Bob

Sutter Bob

• FORUM MEMBER
  • 519 posts
  • Location:Yuba City - Sacramento Valley, CA 39 Degrees North Latitude

Posted 31 May 2012 - 10:10 PM

Have struggled for several years here with these.
Have had no luck with potted specimens
One planted in open two years ago died it's first winter.
Last year planted one under cover of a small Washingtonia.
It's got one spear left after a low of 20F in January.
I removed the Washingtonia.
To have a high of 100F tomorrow - we'll see what happens.

#69 Kostas

Kostas

• IPS MEMBER
  • 2,368 posts

Posted 03 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

The previous winter,my ~1m tall Bismarckia nobilis(Silver) saw -2,5C at the coldest part of the night,before sunrise,unprotected,without cold damage or with leaf tip damage/random leaflet damage but i dont know wether this was from the cold,the multiple heavy hail events and the intensely strong winds that tattered its leafs,or it blowing over from the very strong winds coupled with 430mm of rain in just a month,with 180mm of them in 1 day....But overall,it remained presentable and appealing even after all these....

After rightening it and a nice growing season that made it bigger by 1/3 and stable on its own,here comes the winter again. This winter,it saw -1,5C plus multiple heavy hail events with even close to golfball sized hail that made a layer on the ground and refused to melt,my Bismarckia is undamaged with just some slits on the leafs from the hail and hurricane strength winds(hurricanes formed and did quite some damage where they passed). I did not supported it and it did not blow over.

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users