IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bismarkia nobilis

Dypsisdean

Does anyone have info to share on this one? I am very curious.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

Dean, I have 3 Bismarkia's and none of them showed the least bit of damage.  Unfortunately my hi-lo guage packed it in last week, so I can only go by the official low here in Woodland Hills which was 20d. according to the paper this morning.  I'm up in the hills and sometimes I'm a degree or two warmer, but not always. I didn't get any frost or ice, which is the usual case for me up here.  Whatever, it was cold and damaged almost every other palm not under canopy.

San Fernando Valley, California

One... 3 yrs old from a 3 gallon. Took 24 - no visible damage at all.

Dave

Riverside, CA Z 9b

1700 ft. elevation

approx 40 miles inland

No damage after an all time low of 29 Sunday morning. Juvenile palm, no trunk. Blue variety.

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

Hit my all time low of 27F on Saturday night. All Bizmarkia went through easily without damage.

Gary

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

I'll guarantee it was in the VERY low 20's or possibly even the high teens, and the 15 gal bizmarkia's i had stashed underneath some allspice trees showed no damage at all.

biz.jpg

The amazing thing about the little, potted Bismarkias is that at low 20's/high teens overnight, the pot and roots must have virtually have frozen as well, don't you think? Unbelievable.

Steve

USDA Zone 9a/b, AHS Heat Zone 9, Sunset Zone 28

49'/14m above sea level, 25mi/40km to Galveston Bay

Long-term average rainfall 47.84"/1215mm

Near-term (7yr) average rainfall 55.44"/1410mm

Two galloner, at least down to about 29 FF, two going on three nights, no damage so far.

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Saw 29 an no damage

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

Mine is about 3' overall in the ground, saw 28F no protection and seems to even MORE "pinkish bronze" in color that it was a month ago.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

It's early, and I don't know what to look for on a Bizzy as far as freeze damage goes, (other than the usual stuff) My low was  24.9F and I have one that I planted in a lousy spot against a North fence.

It doesn't look any different than it did a week ago.

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

(ghar41 @ Jan. 16 2007,07:27)

It's early, and I don't know what to look for on a Bizzy as far as freeze damage goes, (other than the usual stuff) My low was  25.1F and I have one that I planted in a lousy spot against a North fence.

It doesn't look any different than it did a week ago.

....I need to mention that I did have a "pooch pot" burning about 25 feet away.   :;):

Glenn

Modesto, California

Sunset Zone 14   USDA 9b

Low Temp. 19F/-7C 12-20-1990         

High Temp. 111F/43C 07-23-2006

Annual Average Precipitation 13.12 inches/yr.

30F (first night) - no damage

27F (second night) - no damage

This plant is about 3m (10ft) tall.  Four or five of the oldest leaves have curled up and look desiccated, but I think that's from the root damage when it blew over a week ago....

Jack Sayers

East Los Angeles

growing cold tolerant palms halfway between the equator and the arctic circle...

Bizmarckia nobilis (Silver/Blue), 4 feet tall overall, in ground planted next to a 6 foot tall wood fence.

24.1F, no frost, no canopy

No Damage

Note:  Like BS's this palm has been showing some pinkish/purpleish hues in the older leaves since the begininning of winter but no major foliage damage due to extreme cold.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

3 seedlings, all abou5t 4' tall, no damage on any from 27F for 5 hours, and frost the next night (but temps over 33F)- one totally out in open, others against walls

:P  :o  :D  Got to Get One! Note to self........Got to get one! Keep the data coming folks...............do you think any effects will be felt later?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

I forgot to add this one.

29F both satAM and Mon AM. No frost. Slight freeze damage to one frond. Pic can be seen in separate post entitled "Freeze 2007 pics"

Coastal San Diego, California

Z10b

Dry summer subtropical/Mediterranean

warm summer/mild winter

26F low, very little frost. Three silver  Bizzys, 2', 5', and 8'. NOOOOO damage to speak of.

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

My Bismarkia took 23.5 F on Dec 19, '06, unprotected and no apparent damage.  I chickened out for the Jan freeze and covered it and put a 100 W light bulb under it.

HOWEVER......The two prior years 25F to 27F must have been the low and unprotected.  The two prior years it looked fine untill warm weather arrived, then it developed ugly tan splotches on the foliage. Mine produces about 6 new fronds a growing season. Mine has never been subjected to night after night freezes, so I'll give a report in the spring.

Dick

Richard Douglas

I had 2 nights at 25 F,5mph wind,8 hours exposure to minimum both nights,no frost;no protection.Center 1/3 of leafs are alive while 1/3 on each side has dried up.No obvious signs of freezing while it was happening.It will survive.

aztropic

Mesa,Arizona

post-236-1169254829_thumb.jpg

Mesa, Arizona

Temps between 29F and 115F each year

Climate info for these palms is third party.  These palms are ~1/4 mile from the Nickel Palm Nursery near Bakersfield.  Phil Nickel reported temps at his nursery were 15-18F for several days with extended periods of freezing over the last three weeks.

photo64.jpg

Closeup

photo71.jpg

The smaller one

photo68.jpg

I don't know what these may have looked like before, but they look better than every Washingtonia in the area.  For reference L. chinensis and various Sabal species at Phil's nursery.

Robert

Madera, CA (central San Joaquin valley)

9A

I need to jump on the bandwagon here, too.  I have a couple of small bizzies like the little one near Phil's, and they took 14.7, 14.9, 16, 18, and several low 20s. They aren't dessicated, though they are bronzy-purple. The tight spears look good.

They look like they'll be fine, though I think we need to proceed with caution as far as discussing temp limits, since stuff I thought was lightly damaged for the first week looks like death warmed-over a week further along.

I want to see if the fronds remain viable, and if the little tough guys begin to grow again in April.  And if they do, then it may be that these are remarkably cold-tolerant.

Jon T.

i

Jon T-Central CA coastal valley foothills-9A

Forever seeking juania australis...

2 galloner, no damage after four nights of 28-29 F.

No frost.

post-208-1170012110_thumb.jpg

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I was talking to friend in the San Francisco Bay area last week about the freeze.  He said he saw several big Bismarckia (silver) that were totally untouched by two consecutive nights of 17º-18ºF. :)

Gary

Where on earth are there big bismarkia's in the bay area? I would love to see one. This spring I will have one in the ground. My fav fan palm.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

My Bismarkia, about 4" high, is looking worse and worse.  Now the center fronds are turning tan.  It's low was 23F and many other nights of below freezing.  I think it's gonna bite the dust.  Oh well, leaves a nice sunny spot for something more hardy.  It was an "experiment" anyway.

Dick

Richard Douglas

4" or 4'?

David Simms zone 9a on Highway 30a

200 steps from the Gulf in NW Florida

30 ft. elevation and sandy soil

Sorry, I meant to say 4'.  It looks pretty sick now and I don't know if it will live.  More later.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 1 month later...

A much later report:  I have 3 palms planted in the same area, and totally exposed, no overhead protection.  The Butia X Parajubaea was untouched by the freezes and has started to grow again with our warm weather of the past week. Near by my Bismarkia is totally cooked....It's dead as a door nail! No green (silver) DEAD!! Gone!!

The Parajubaea T V T in the same area had severe damage to all the fronds that were horizontal and frosted. The 3 center upright fronds were undamaged, and it's started to grow again with warmer weather.  Had it been older with a trunk and the foliage further off the ground, I think it would have faired much better.  I think this is a keeper for those of us in Sunset zone 14 and definatly for those of you in zones 15 to 17.

I have have a nice 5 gal. P. sunkha that I think will replace the Bismarkia, maybe as soon at today as it's supposed to be in the 80's today.  Whoope!  Spring!!

Dick

Richard Douglas

Dear Guys  :)

i used to call bizie baby as hot baby ! no doubt it is proving

its worth.that is hot...

so able to survive even in cold wheathers..

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(PalmGuyWC @ Feb. 07 2007,12:48)

My Bismarkia, about 4" high, is looking worse and worse.  Now the center fronds are turning tan.  It's low was 23F and many other nights of below freezing.  I think it's gonna bite the dust.  Oh well, leaves a nice sunny spot for something more hardy.  It was an "experiment" anyway.

Dick

My Bizzie very similar in size to Dicks, but still in a small box, just pulled the spear out, completely rotten  :(  . Low of 22F and many nights below freezing.

Another Bizzie, same size but in the ground is doing OK so far.

Matt from Temecula, CA, 9b

Some Pics

Cycads

Temecula.gif

Hi Zack,

I just saw your post. A friend of mine picked up the Bismarkia in S. Calif., and I'm not sure where he got it. I've never seen them for sale in N. Calif. Mine is only a memory now as it's been dug up and removed. After 3 years in the ground I was surprised at what thick roots it had grown, a half inch in diamater.  Mine was totally cooked at 23F and night after night of freezing temps. and that was even with some protection in the Jan. Freeze. I really didn't think it would survive long in Walnut Creek, and now I know.

I suppose I could get another and grow it as a large container plant for my deck, but I'm not sure it's worth the effort since I would have to protect it each winter.

Dick

Richard Douglas

• 4 weeks later...

Fellow Fanatics,

It's just like Dick said -- you can't plan for bizzies surviving temps below 25.  I am personally responsible for spreading misinformation: my January 27 post said truthfully that my Bismarcks looked pretty good, after temps in the mid-teens, but now, two-plus months later, they look pretty darn dead.  One has a dessicated spear that is still in place, but there's no apparent growth, and no color of life anywhere.

It may be that truly big ones will have the mass to survive 8b temps, but it's not appropriate for anybody to characterize bismarckia nobilis as anything but a 9b palm, and  for practical purposes it's really only going to be consistently attractive in 10 a.

Sadder but wiser,

Jon T.

Jon T-Central CA coastal valley foothills-9A

Forever seeking juania australis...

• 1 month later...

(Jon T @ Apr. 11 2007,15:11)

Fellow Fanatics,

It's just like Dick said -- you can't plan for bizzies surviving temps below 25.  I am personally responsible for spreading misinformation: my January 27 post said truthfully that my Bismarcks looked pretty good, after temps in the mid-teens, but now, two-plus months later, they look pretty darn dead.  One has a dessicated spear that is still in place, but there's no apparent growth, and no color of life anywhere.

It may be that truly big ones will have the mass to survive 8b temps, but it's not appropriate for anybody to characterize bismarckia nobilis as anything but a 9b palm, and  for practical purposes it's really only going to be consistently attractive in 10 a.

Sadder but wiser,

Jon T.

I seriously doubt the claims of surviving the teens with "no damage".  My fully established 11' bismarckia survived 22 degrees 2 nights in a row, but all (14) exposed palms were toasted, dead as a door nail, and the exposed spear wont open fully, has obvious burn damage today.  The temps were 22 degrees, but these palms were next to the pool, with th pool heater running overnight.  All palms either turned deep bronze or white(more wind protection), and wrinkled.  Today, my biz are pushing out new palms,

Formerly in Gilbert AZ, zone 9a/9b. Now in Palmetto, Florida Zone 9b/10a??

Tom Blank

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

In the interest of providing a baseline I decided to show a pic that has several species so there is an understanding within the pic of what the true temps may have been.  Here is a pic of my largest bizzie along with syagrus(20F(?)), phx roebelinii(25F?), and a brahea(12F(?) and sabal bermuda(10F).  My bizzie was totally burned except for one spear that never did open right.  The colors are bronze and white(very wrinkled).  I ended up cutting off the burned fronds months later as they were very stiff, lifeless, brittle and caused damage to a new emerging spear as it tried to push its way out.  The two phx roebelinii in the foreground were totally bronzed like straw (defoilated but survived), the syagrus show green fronds, plenty of them, but did burn up to 50% as well.  The brahea and bermuda didnt even blink.  Well since we know roebelinii are tender at about 25F, and the syagrus at 20F, the temp was in that range(weather said 22F for 2 nights in a row).  Further, freezing duration was about 8-10 hours each night according to the weather report.

Tom Blank

here is the Biz in april with its first new frond since the freeze opened.  Sorry its a different angle, but psychologically I was having a hard time taking photos of it for a while.  The newly opened frond along with 2 freeze damaged fronds, yet to be removed, is pictured.

Tom Blank

and here is the same bizzie at the beginning of july, after pumping out 3 more fronds and 2 additional new spears.

Tom Blank