IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

if you want your dypsis decipiens to grow- water the "bejesus" out of it...

trioderob

dont water a DD like a cactus unless you want it to grow like one.

I water the heck out of this one and am rewarded with good growth:

6091442692_aae27ec065_b.jpg

How old is that one?

Three seedlings here love our baking sun.

As has been said before, depends on your location and soil. I killed one from overwatering early on. But when I am rarely above 82F, that happens to be cooler than they like for "LOTS" of water.

But If you got the heat, knock yourself out.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Agree. I planted my pot grown one in the centre of my lawn a few years back in the middle of summer. It drooped like it couldn't pull up enough water. I thought it was going to die. It wasn't like I planted it wrong the heat was just extreme and it's little pot grown roots couldn't deliver. I'd flood it every night for a few weeks and in the morning it was all stood upright again but by nightfall was limp again. I did this for about a month and it must have put its roots out and doesn't have the issue anymore. Even still in summer I give it a flooding with the hose every day and it charges ahead. It's now going to have 4 trunks!! Will take a pic soon.

Best regards

Tyrone

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Totally Agree, we live in a high rainfall area( ave 2000mm) ,this is pittence compared to Aussiearoids in Far Nth Queensland which most years is well above 5000mm and the boys in Hawaii plus 4000. The largest and fastest Decipiens here are planted in clay sliplines ( where the land has slipped) this soil is constantly moist and a lot of the time very very wet as it is near a water course, i must add though, the land is sloping. Planted in a dry area at same time the plants have barely moved. Im talking a difference here of decipiens in wet area pushing 10 ft spears ( forearm thickness) to dry areas battling to push a 2ft spears. My question is...why in California do you need to raise a bed for decipiens when you live in a very dry part of the world? edit.. I will post pics 2nt when laptop gets home

• Upvote 1

Totally Agree, we live in a high rainfall area( ave 2000mm) ,this is pittence compared to Aussiearoids in Far Nth Queensland which most years is well above 5000mm and the boys in Hawaii plus 4000. The largest and fastest Decipiens here are planted in clay sliplines ( where the land has slipped) this soil is constantly moist and a lot of the time very very wet as it is near a water course, i must add though, the land is sloping. Planted in a dry area at same time the plants have barely moved. Im talking a difference here of decipiens in wet area pushing 10 ft spears ( forearm thickness) to dry areas battling to push a 2ft spears. My question is...why in California do you need to raise a bed for decipiens when you live in a very dry part of the world? edit.. I will post pics 2nt when laptop gets home

Laptops home, so heres pics of 9yo inground from small pot. ( growth, obviously much faster in Hawaii compared to here in cool subtropics)

post-5709-089722600 1314609309_thumb.jpg post-5709-072066200 1314609303_thumb.jpg post-5709-002323400 1314609316_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I had this rock bed with 3 of them, and i have lost 2 due to overhead wrong irrigation. This one (double) receives no water, but rain. And it grows a new spear in a month (not bad)

I had to replace one for a b. alfredii, as you see.

Besides that, i have purchased 3 other, well grown, from a spanish nursery, where they receive drop irrigation. When i arrived, after a couple of dry days of the trip, i have watered them in the pots. All died a couple of weeks after. So sad.

post-3292-046476100 1314618568_thumb.jpg

Edited by rafael

D.decipiens was one of the first palms I germinated from seeds. I remember the horror stories I read here on palmtalk....: ´´It was a practically impossible palm to grow.....all the seedlings dies,the drainage has to be the best of the world,.....if not it dies,etc,etc......I had the feeling it was a hopeless palm for me in my rainy climate. I see now they are very easy palms. I planted all the palms on mounts of sandy soil with the best drainage possible,and I feel angry when I see that palms I gave to friends who planted them out as any other normal palm,are now double or triple the size of mines....:angry:

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

Laptops home, so heres pics of 9yo inground from small pot. ( growth, obviously much faster in Hawaii compared to here in cool subtropics)

post-5709-089722600 1314609309_thumb.jpg post-5709-072066200 1314609303_thumb.jpg post-5709-002323400 1314609316_thumb.jpg

Wow what a thick petioles and and healthy palm! For sure I need to water my palms more.

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I just discovered this weekend that my keeper 8+ yr old decipiens, grown from seed (last one), is on its way out. Ruined my whole weekend! Spear pulled out and all fronds look bad. Looks to be that it got to much water (really damp when I noticed it), but maybe it was something else cause it was growing in my hotest, driest area of the property on black weed barrier in a black container. The drip sprinklers in that area flow very low rates and so at least once a week I supplement the watering by hose and give everything a good watering. Probably over did it last time, not sure. :(

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

I think they hate being in a container.

did you lose any that were in the ground ?

I lost a Dypsis lanceolata that was part of a triple this weekend.

still have the other 2 in the group nice healthy looking palms, trunking,

and all of a sudden one throws a dead and rotting spear.

go figure

Edited by trioderob

Hmm.

I've had luck with decipiens in containers, but not in the ground.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

I lost a lot of them here in Florida at smaller sizes in the ground. The one that I have left has about a foot of trunk now and is one of my toughest palms. I water it heavily in the Summer and no water in Winter except for rain. I think they only like water when it is hot weather. Here it is over 90f every day of Summer and 78f at night. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Pete

That Decipiens is AWESOME ! had no idea they would do so well in all that rainfall :drool:

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

I have tried many times to cultivate Dypsis decipiens, both with seedlings , and with seedlings from seeds that I did, live for a couple of years, but then always die :(

Dypsis decipiens goodbye :(

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

go figure

Rob,

Unfortunetly I don't have one in the ground. I really don't have a good full sun spot in the front yard, which is where I would like to plant a large 25g one that I have aquired recently. Had planned on eventually planting the one grown from seed too, but that won't happen.

One thought was that it was potted up in April.

Also it was next to some butias that were a bit larger than it and was a bit blocked from the sun later in the day.

I could understand loosing it during, or coming out of, the winter but in August?

I think I watered the entire plant, instead of just watering the soil, and avoiding getting the entire palm itself wet.

Joe Dombrowski

San Marcos, CA

I think that this is a palm that really needs to be in the ground to do well long term.

I dont think there is even one large DD anywhere that

is not planted.

maybe someone can correct me on the above statement ???

go figure

Rob,

Unfortunetly I don't have one in the ground. I really don't have a good full sun spot in the front yard, which is where I would like to plant a large 25g one that I have aquired recently. Had planned on eventually planting the one grown from seed too, but that won't happen.

One thought was that it was potted up in April.

Also it was next to some butias that were a bit larger than it and was a bit blocked from the sun later in the day.

I could understand loosing it during, or coming out of, the winter but in August?

I think I watered the entire plant, instead of just watering the soil, and avoiding getting the entire palm itself wet.

I planted one from 1gal approx 5yrs ago in cool San Clemente. It is now splitting and getting beefy and would probably be comparable to a good sized 24" boxed specimin. It is growing very well and gets watered well and surrounded by large palms that shade it most of the day. This palm is not fazed by overhead watering or flooding winter rains.

Robert de Jong

San Clemente, CA

Willowbrook Nursery

Good to read some myths being debunked. Just because these palms are now found in a rocky, barren (man-made)landscape doesn't mean they evolved in those conditions. I find they can do well in heavy clay in a damp climate and also in quite a lot of shade.

cheers

Richard

Bill told me that they try to pull down under the soil level when young.

so on his advice I dug around the plant and made sure it did not drop below the soil level.

wonder if many folks on the forum lost them because of that and not because of getting watered ?

My Dyppy Decipiens is on the west side of my house, in the hottest most sunny part of my garden.

A thermometer placed in the shade amongst the leaves, the the temps are often 120 plus during the summer.

I water my d. decipiens once per week in the summer and once per month spring and fall.

Trunking now after 11 years, it is pushing 1 leaf per month.

I'd say the key is good draining soil and plenting of bark mulch.

jeff

Edited by Jeff in Modesto

Modesto, CA USDA 9b

July/August average 95f/63f

Dec/Jan average 55f/39f

Average lowest winter temp 27f

Record low temp 18f

Record high temp 113f

I think they are an easy grow if your summer night time temps don't average more than about 21, 22C ie around 70F. They are after all a mountain palm and they average around 16C mins in summer in habitat. So if you live in a summer wet climate and get summer mins around 26 − 28C I think they may go mouldy. That's where I would think all the plant high and free draining thoughts come from. Here we average 18-20C mins in summer and they are just so easy to grow especially in our sandy soils. You can flood the things and they're happy as anything. They don't have to be in full sun but they grow quicker if they are in full sun. They need planting as they put nice big roots down, and they will slow way down in a pot. A pot stunted one will gallop away when planted. I love this species.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Good to read some myths being debunked. Just because these palms are now found in a rocky, barren (man-made)landscape doesn't mean they evolved in those conditions. I find they can do well in heavy clay in a damp climate and also in quite a lot of shade.

cheers

Richard

In Madagascar, aren't they growing in a rocky, barren, non-man-made landscape? I believe that is how they evolved.

Are you say that that endemic landscape might not have previously been that way and was more lush w/ shade? That certainly is possible.

I know they can grow in shade, as I have seen them in several locations in socal, but I figure full sun is optimal and I think Tyrone agrees.

The 25g one that I will plant out is at least 15yrs old and I would hate to loose that one.

Joe Dombrowski

San Marcos, CA

• 3 months later...

I got some seedlings this spring and they only grew 2-3 leaves since, then but they have really rooted in well. They get overhead water and there is no rot on them. One of the two was damaged by temperatures down to 30 under shade cloth. The other seems fine.

I think they are an easy grow if your summer night time temps don't average more than about 21, 22C ie around 70F. They are after all a mountain palm and they average around 16C mins in summer in habitat. So if you live in a summer wet climate and get summer mins around 26 − 28C I think they may go mouldy.

Above 21, 22 average minimums, that is what we get here in Italy and that is why they do not grow here I think. I wonder if these temperatures promote some fungus.

Tomas

I don't think that what is appreciated is that some soils do not drain deeply at all. The top foot or so can be dry, yet past that zone there can be standing water - especially in irrigated gardens. And I think it is this standing water that DDs don't tolerate.

I've seen people dig a 4-5 foot deep hole and place drainage pipe (pipe with holes) upright in the ground and fill in around it. Then they can go back and monitor the ground water situation. In soils with an impermeable layer of clay (like many areas of California), they may find a layer of standing water down a few feet while the foot or two at the surface can be bone dry. That's why adobe makes great bricks.

And IMO, palms that come from areas with a distinct dry season don't like constantly wet feet (especially cold wet feet), let alone standing water.

• Upvote 1

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

I think a lot of people water too much not realizing what is going on down below

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

I think a lot of people water too much not realizing what is going on down below

Matt,

It was your Uncle Glen who I first saw use the drainage pipe trick I described above.

animated-volcano-image-0010.gif.71ccc48bfc1ec622a0adca187eabaaa4.gif

Kona, on The Big Island
Hawaii - Land of Volcanoes

OK MATTY-

what kind of soil do I have at my place in san diego?

this is 2 minutes of digging -no rock at all below the top soil

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7017/6573030491_bbebaa7f02_z.jpg

Trioderob, where do you live? That looks exactly like my soil! "sandy loam" but does not drain, digs easy.

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

• 3 years later...

Ive planted 1 in a high sandy loam bed  and its been in about a month and seems very happy, i just planted another smaller 1 in amended clay with alot of stone and scoria in the mix for drainag so ill see which 1 is quicker her in southern  Australia both are in all day full sun we are just coming into our summer so they should really kick off, also the smaller of the 2 is a supposed watermelon variety has anyone seen this yet?? Or is it wishfull thinking?? Ive got 3 for different  sources  and there so different great palms imo

the soils needs to be fast draining. They hate soggy roots. I have killed many in 15 & 25 gal pots from over watering since the soil mix they were in holds to much moisture. On the other hand I have 2  25 gal size plants planted in DG and I could water them everyday no problem since the soil drains like a champ and they are growing very rapidly.

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

564d4ee544f32_decipiens4(2).jpeg.58f0946564d4ef2c4389_decipiens3.jpeg.cb3525a654564d4ef9b4afc_decipiens2.jpeg.ad6fb1f0b7564d4f0834ad5_decipiens1.jpeg.2a147a4b4e these are planted in the "Vista garden"

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

I put my DD on drip 3x a week this year, and they have exploded with growth.  They need a lot of supplemental water for me, to perform well.

Ben Rogers

On the border of Concord & Clayton in the East Bay hills - Elev 387 ft 37.95 °N, 121.94 °W

My back yard weather station: http://www.wunderground.com/cgi-bin/findweather/hdfForecast?query=37.954%2C-121.945&sp=KCACONCO37

Josh-O, that is one nice Dypsis Decipiens!  Wow.  If you bought it that big, it must have cost a fortune --- or maybe they're just more common out in California, so are cheaper than here (pricey here!)

I can't water my Dypsis Decipiens at all because we get so much rain, the constantly falling tree crap gives it a perma layer of mulch, etc. 

Pardon my ignorance, but what does "DG" stand for?  Drip garden?  Dirt ground?  Dry gravel?  Um, drunken girlfriend?  I'm running out guesses.  I know you're a Dogfish man, so that was the first "D" that came to mind.   

• Upvote 1

whats with that red cuban looking soil ?

you might be the only one in cali with better soil than me

- if so nice real estate acquisition  

Edited by trioderob