IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Archontophoenix maxima

PALM MOD

Archontophoenix maxima, in ground, 8 feet tall overall, 12" of clear trunk.

24.1F, no frost, no overhead canopy

50%-60% leafburn, some of the understory leaves were spared.

post--1168898174_thumb.jpg

Thanks to those of you who help make this a fun and friendly forum.

Five specimens, down in my Valley of the Kings.

About four feet tall, 2" at the base, a year or so from 5-galloners.

One night, 27 FF, trashed, fronds black as an executioner's heart.

Sad!

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Have 2 potted of these. 1 an avg 5 gal, other a nice 15+ gal size. Did nothing the first cold night (friday) Read all the posts, then checked and covered the remaining nights. Hit 29F, small looks bad, 15 gal has measles, and lower leaf actually looks good.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Have 2 galon plant no trunk next to remote sensor that read 29 and looks perfect.  It must be noted however that is next to the house amongst other potted palms, not sure how much difference this would make.

Don_L    Rancho CUCAMONGA (yes it does exist) 40 min due east of Los Angeles

USDA Zone 10a

July Averages: Hi 95F, Low 62F

Jan Averages: Hi 68F, Low 45F

27F - I had some 1gs crisp up, will other 1gs and liners right next to them show no damage.

David Vogelsang

OC, California

Zone 10a

(frisbee @ Jan. 15 2007,22:17)

after...Same palm R.I.P Jan'07.

...bottomed out around 19F at the cold drain spot in the backyard.

Will it come back in the spring? Make sure you spray the leaf base, where they come out.  The crownshaft looks pretty nice.

Meteorologist and PhD student in Climate Science

• 2 weeks later...

The password is OUCH.

I had five specimens all exposed to three nights of 24.8 F (-4.4 C) and a fourth consecutive night at 27.8 F.

post-208-1170011182_thumb.jpg

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

But, it's starting to recover, like all of its brothers/sisters. . . .

post-208-1170011245_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Two 15 gallon size planted in 24 inch boxes this last summer.  Had two nights at 25f  no frost and a third night at 29f with frost.  Both palms had been wraped at the base up to the crown and still every frond on both palms witherd like the one pictured above.  But I am happy to report that as of 2-17-2007 there new amerging spears are starting to open.  Maybe by the end of summer they will start looking like palms again.

Curt

Cypress, Ca.

• 1 month later...

Allright!  That's good news! :D

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 1 month later...

Both of my previous mentioned maximas have pushed a spear and are about 1/3 open. all the past leaves are pretty much toast. Looks like they'll come out OK eventually.

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

• 1 year later...

palm is under a foot and took temps in the mid 30's with light frost took damage to the frost and its has 25% leaf burn.

palm was planted in spring of 08

Matthew Albach

Pinellas Park FLorida

USDA zone 10a

sunset zone 26

heat zone   10

mostly frost free most years.

• 11 months later...

My A. maximas are about 16 feet OA with 7 feet of clear wood. Damage was shown after 29F, about 25% leaf damage. These things come out of burn faster than any palm I know.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

• 3 years later...

my 4 footer started showing burn a 30F and after i hit 26f its fried. the half opend leaf took about 25% damage while the rest of the palm got smoked.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Lost my only two remaining maximas this year under moderate cover (about four years from seed).

Definitely wimpier than cunninghamiana here.

• 1 month later...

I have a 10 year old a. maxima 15 feet tall, it has a reddish emerging leaf. It's a fast grower, but fronds exposed to clear skies that high off the ground do burn when temps are 30F or less for more than a couple of hours. However, under canopy, this palm can take considerably more cold.

• 3 years later...

31F Dec 7th for a couple hours some minor damage no overhead protection. Might have had frost as it was on the rooftops. It is right next to a large cunninghamiana that had zero damage. 

IMG_0448.jpg

Here is the tree overall

IMG_0449.jpg

About 5ft away is a Hibiscus with zero damage at all so I am sure the 31F is correct. 

IMG_0446.jpg

Edited by enigma99

I will always cover it from now on below 33F. Didn't realize they were that wimpy. I have another much larger maxima under canopy and it is unfazed. 

On 12/17/2016, 4:49:21, enigma99 said:

31F Dec 7th for a couple hours some minor damage no overhead protection. Might have had frost as it was on the rooftops. It is right next to a large cunninghamiana that had zero damage. 

IMG_0448.jpg

Here is the tree overall

IMG_0449.jpg

About 5ft away is a Hibiscus with zero damage at all so I am sure the 31F is correct. 

IMG_0446.jpg

You might not know till April or May just how extensive the damage is :-(

1 hour ago, Yunder Wækraus said:

You might not know till April or May just how extensive the damage is :-(

Really? Why so late? I think late January will be a good indicator when everything starts growing again

5 hours ago, enigma99 said:

Really? Why so late? I think late January will be a good indicator when everything starts growing again

Not sure why. I didn't see full extent of the Dec 2013 freeze damage in Fairfield till March at the earliest. Some plants that appeared unscathed began to rot where tissue had died. Perhaps the rising temps and longer days allow plants that are on the edge to tip one way or another