• WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

FREEEEEEE XBUTYAGRUS SEED. FREEEEE

ErikSJI

Hey there

Got them - thank you very much! I'm very impressed with your packaging and vacuum sealing - top notch.

I'll certainly post any progress!

Just wondering the specifics of the parentage?

Best, Jude

Hello Jude,

Parentage is Butia Odorata x Syagrus R.

Best Regards

Erik

Rafeal, Jude. You should be getting your seeds within the next week. I have been out of town on for the last week. I apologize for the delay.

Best Regards

Erik

Erik, i havent receive anything so far.

I received my seeds on Friday. Thanks Erik and Mark!

Formerly Jeff in Costa Rica

Good to hear Jeff. Look forward to hearing how they do.

Rafael your seeds were sent the same day as Jeffs. 21 Sept. If you would like a tracking number message me.

Good to hear Jeff. Look forward to hearing how they do.

Rafael your seeds were sent the same day as Jeffs. 21 Sept. If you would like a tracking number message me.

Erik, i received the seeds yesterday! In excelent package conditions, i must say!

Thank you very much and later i will let you know about them!

Regards!

Rafael

Just as a reminder. These seeds like it hot. 87F to 97F bottom heat. Here are some photos of ours germinating right now. 3 months out. They usually go dormant doing the winter months and come out like gang busters in the spring again.

post-1930-035148900 1317784262_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is the status of my Mule seed. I stared germinating on 9/1/11, by the baggie method with perlitle. I used minimal heat inside a heated enclosure. As of 11/13/11 I have had 15 seed germinate out of 100. It is still early in the germinating stage. I also worked with Mark & Eric on supplying S. coronata pollen for a Butia X Coronata hybrid. The last pic is a Butia X Coronata seedling. My past experience w/ S. coronata has been ~ 11 moths for germination. Time will tell, but at least they have started to pop for now. Mark has perfected the germination process with his solar heated hot bed. I would expect higher germination rate from his process. I will post more in the future.

post-112-094744700 1321226761_thumb.jpg

post-112-024501000 1321226789_thumb.jpg

post-112-037912700 1321226805_thumb.jpg

Thank you for the update and photos Mike. Mark has only had one Butia x Coronata sprout. I believe they were planted around the same time as yours. I will check the dates on them. We still have no germination on the Butia x Jubaea or Butia X Parajubaea but they were planted 3 weeks later.

• 2 weeks later...

I would like to do a little promotion. So I am giving my xbutyagrus F1 seed away. This offer is only good to certified nurseries or growers. This offer is also good for overseas nurseries as well.

Why am I doing this?

1. I would like to send these to certified growers and nurseries who are experienced so I can average out there germination rates for this hybrid.

2. I would like to show you that you will get all Butyagrus from this seed. No Butias No guessing game.

3. And of course I would like your future business.

The catch.

You have to be interested in selling this hybrid or other butia hybrids at your nursery.

You have to report your germination rates.

You have to show your photos of the process in this thread.

The first ones to respond get 100 F1 xbutyagrus seed while supplies last.

Let the germination games begin.

Eric,

Is this offer still available?

Thanks,

Debra

I would like to do a little promotion. So I am giving my xbutyagrus F1 seed away. This offer is only good to certified nurseries or growers. This offer is also good for overseas nurseries as well.

Why am I doing this?

1. I would like to send these to certified growers and nurseries who are experienced so I can average out there germination rates for this hybrid.

2. I would like to show you that you will get all Butyagrus from this seed. No Butias No guessing game.

3. And of course I would like your future business.

The catch.

You have to be interested in selling this hybrid or other butia hybrids at your nursery.

You have to report your germination rates.

You have to show your photos of the process in this thread.

The first ones to respond get 100 F1 xbutyagrus seed while supplies last.

Let the germination games begin.

Eric,

Is this offer still available?

Thanks,

Debra

Sorry Debra,

They are all gone. We will have more available next fall.

• 2 weeks later...

Here is the status of my Mule seed. I stared germinating on 9/1/11, by the baggie method with perlitle. I used minimal heat inside a heated enclosure. As of 11/13/11 I have had 15 seed germinate out of 100. It is still early in the germinating stage. I also worked with Mark & Eric on supplying S. coronata pollen for a Butia X Coronata hybrid. The last pic is a Butia X Coronata seedling. My past experience w/ S. coronata has been ~ 11 moths for germination. Time will tell, but at least they have started to pop for now. Mark has perfected the germination process with his solar heated hot bed. I would expect higher germination rate from his process. I will post more in the future.

Is Mike the only person for whom these seeds have sprouted? :unsure: Thought there may have been more reporting by now. :bemused:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B

There have been a few who contacted me in private as well. I did however think there would be more as I did send out to over 30 people.

Normally they start slowing down this time of year in Florida yet they still are sprouting for us.

No sprout so far!

Can you elaborate a little? What medium are you using? What are you temps. Are you doing it indoors outdoors?

Well with all this buzz ... I checked my seeds & low & behold I have my first sprout !!! I wasn't expecting anything for a while (I thought they take up to a year). I have them in a closed tupperware with bottom heat in 50/50 perlite & peat moss. Hopefully more to follow.

post-4088-043573900 1323796493_thumb.jpgpost-4088-025662100 1323796502_thumb.jpg

I had a few more pop. One of them was a double sprout. I have seem a relative large number of these doubles in Marks liner nursery. They both grow to full size. I usually separate them at liner stage & both survive. BTW, the second pic is the Butia X Cocconut hybrid that I have been growing from Marks stock. It is totally unarmed at this stage & developing a weeping look to it. It has seen considerable Sun for a couple of years now, so it is not weeping due to shade.

post-112-005589500 1323816718_thumb.jpg

post-112-019805800 1323817069_thumb.jpg

I had a few more pop. One of them was a double sprout. I have seem a relative large number of these doubles in Marks liner nursery. They both grow to full size. I usually separate them at liner stage & both survive. BTW, the second pic is the Butia X Cocconut hybrid that I have been growing from Marks stock. It is totally unarmed at this stage & developing a weeping look to it. It has seen considerable Sun for a couple of years now, so it is not weeping due to shade.

Mark Lynn put one of his Butia X Coconut's in the ground around August. It only gets partial sun as there are many tall oak trees surrounding it. It does not seem to be weeping like yours is. It is not armed yet either. It still looks Butia to me only time will tell.

He has been pollinating again with the Cocos pollen all fall. Everything so far has aborted.

Whoa, things are getting interesting!

Curious to know what's happened.

I have had very low germination rates on hybrid Archontophoenix alexandrae "Beatrice" X cunninghamiana.

Keeping an eye on the coconut X Butea hybrids. That will be a treat, too.

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Mark just said he checked and he had two more sprout on the butia x syagrus Coronata From the pollen you sent him.

No sprout so far!

Can you elaborate a little? What medium are you using? What are you temps. Are you doing it indoors outdoors?

peat moss, 23C, indoors. but only from september on.

No sprout so far!

peat moss, 23C, indoors. but only from september on.

Thanks Rafael....

• 3 weeks later...

Mine put in tupperware mind Sept. in peat moss, kept indoors on south facing window for extra heat, nothing yet. I had also put some Areca triandra seeds in the same container, 100% of them have popped.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Thanks for the update... I am sure you will see something by spring starting to sprout.

• 2 weeks later...

Update Erik....sorry for delay.

Placed seeds in 10 x 20 tray w/ Sunshine mix #5 on heat mat @ ~85-90 degrees on Sept 12.

Treated w/ Subdue fungicide.

First sprout was observed on Nov. 9th (less than 2 months, not bad).

Total of about 25 seedlings at this point and seeds are still sprouting.

Thanks!!

-Joe

Joe Dombrowski

Discovery Island Palms Nursery

San Marcos, CA

"grow my little palm tree, grow!"

• 3 months later...

So I have been getting some updates via private message. I would like to know how everyone else out there is doing with these seeds.

Thank you.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the update Travar. Are you applying bottom heat?

In my propagator heat is up and down.Temperature 30°C +-2°.last two months seeds are in hothouse,temperature is up to 34°C. I still have hope.

Edited by Trava
  • Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

First sprout!

Comunity pot, outdoors, 45 days with average max temp. above 30C, deep watering last 2 weeks.

I'm still getting sprouts. One that is very interesting, a triple from one seed. Erik does this happen often?

post-4088-0-94099700-1343088418_thumb.jppost-4088-0-40639800-1343088431_thumb.jp

We experience around 5% triples and 15% double germination on seeds. This year I pulled 2 Quads. You can choose to separate at a later date if you wish when the seed drops.

post-1930-0-30571800-1343130502_thumb.jp

post-1930-0-11469600-1343130583_thumb.jp

• 5 weeks later...

First sprout!

Comunity pot, outdoors, 45 days with average max temp. above 30C, deep watering last 2 weeks.

3 more!

When is the best time to separate them?

Edited by dalmatiansoap

They seem to separate the best when they are putting off there second leaf or the seed drops. Thank you everyone for the updates here.

• 1 month later...

In my propagator heat is up and down.Temperature 30°C +-2°.last two months seeds are in hothouse,temperature is up to 34°C. I still have hope.

:unsure:

Coral Gables, FL 8 miles North of Fairchild USDA Zone 10B