IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Parajubaea Sunkha pollen processing for hybrids

TimHopper

I was reading about coconuts and how they pollinated them. In the article it had mentioned the shelf life of pollen is 72 hours. I do not know how true that is or if it is the same with other palms. I would assume they are meaning if it is not dried and stored.

The last clump of seeds is coming off from the butia x parajubaea cocoides. On one clump we have 4 massive seeds compared to the rest. 3 to 4 times the size of the others. I will get a photo of it. Have you experienced this at all?

Here is a photo of Syagrus R Pollen hanging in the garage. When you walk in and out of there you are covered in a fine dust of pollen.

post-1930-082758200 1313678819_thumb.jpg

The last clump of seeds is coming off from the butia x parajubaea cocoides. On one clump we have 4 massive seeds compared to the rest. 3 to 4 times the size of the others. I will get a photo of it.

Erik in total how many seeds of Butia x parajubaea,that you have produced ?

• Upvote 1

GIUSEPPE

OK, I have discovered a technique for dusting my stored Parajubaea Sunkha pollen. One large empty baby powder container,add one teaspoon of pollen and three tespoons of white all-purpose flour. Shake to stir, open vent cap and squeeze which propels the pollen cloud much better than anything else that I have tried. Working with a huge Queen inflourescence is much different than working with a small butia or jubutia infl. This will save me a lot of time three times daily. This is a second Syagrus that I am pollinating. You can see that the female flowers are perfectly receptive with open petals and nectar in the photo. Weather plays a big part in this process. Tim

022-3.jpg

029-1.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

The last clump of seeds is coming off from the butia x parajubaea cocoides. On one clump we have 4 massive seeds compared to the rest. 3 to 4 times the size of the others. I will get a photo of it.

Erik in total how many seeds of Butia x parajubaea,that you have produced ?

75 on the first one. Around 150 on the second one. Third is coming off the tree next week and looks to be holding around 150 as well. Had a few floaters but planting them anyway.

OK, I have discovered a technique for dusting my stored Parajubaea Sunkha pollen. One large empty baby powder container,add one teaspoon of pollen and three tespoons of white all-purpose flour. Shake to stir, open vent cap and squeeze which propels the pollen cloud much better than anything else that I have tried. Working with a huge Queen inflourescence is much different than working with a small butia or jubutia infl. This will save me a lot of time three times daily. This is a second Syagrus that I am pollinating. You can see that the female flowers are perfectly receptive with open petals and nectar in the photo. Weather plays a big part in this process. Tim

022-3.jpg

029-1.jpg

Cool idea Tim.

Tim have you seen how the guys in New Zealand are pollinating the Kiwis? Not sure if I am allowed to post a link. But they have developed a back pack pollen blower. There is also one where they modified a leaf blower.

I like this idea Tim, seems like it should give a very even disbursement. I'm crossing my fingers, I want a Queen x Sunkha.

Rock Ridge Ranch

South Escondido

5 miles ENE Rancho Bernardo

33.06N 117W, Elevation 971 Feet

• 2 weeks later...

About 40% of the seeds have fallen off since pollinating with Parajubaea S. pollen. It is still too early to tell if the pollen worked. These seeds are growing fast but Syagrus can abort seeds larger than these. I should know in about another week how many will set. Of course it will be some time before they ripen and I can inspect some mature seeds to see if they look viable. Here is a photo that I took today. Tim

004-7.jpg

Edited by TimHopper

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Great idea Tim, thanks for sharing it.

Edited by freakypalmguy

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Well, the Syagrus R. x Parajubaea Sunkha seeds are still growing and they have stopped falling off. Looks like about 200+ have set after applying the Parajubaea Sunkha pollen. Even though about 75% fell off, it is still better than I expected. I have never used parajubaea pollen before, and was unsure about how this would turn out. It will be a few wweks before they are ripe and I will cut some open to see if they look viable before planting.Here is a photo of the seed set. Tim

004-8.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Looks like a good set!!!! How exciting! Please do take pics of the progress as well as the seeds you cut into prior to planting! Thanks, Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Great news Tim, I've got my fingers crossed for you.

Here's the first Butia X Parajubea sunkha seed to fall off my tree, it has good size, not like the small ones that come out as duds. I'm not going to risk cutting any with only around 60 or 70 that set.

post-1261-087074800 1315008242_thumb.jpg

Matt in Temecula, CA

Hot and dry in the summer, cold with light frost in the winter. Halfway between the desert and ocean

Here's the first Butia X Parajubea sunkha seed to fall off my tree, it has good size, not like the small ones that come out as duds. I'm not going to risk cutting any with only around 60 or 70 that set.

That is great news Matthew. I would like to officially enter the lottery for one of those seedlings. Of course I know that Gary is first in line. Tim

Edited by TimHopper

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Matt, you did it, thats a good seed and not a 'stone '.

Tim, are you going to slice open a seed or two in a couple of weeks to see if they have a compartment ? You should know then if you have good seeds or not.

Resident in Bristol UK.

Webshop for hardy palms and hybrid seeds www.hardy-palms.co.uk

Hi, Tim:

Congratulations on your success! I'd like to reserve my hybrid seed or seedling now!

Best Wishes,

merrill

Merrill, I have pollinated a second Queen inflourescence with the same Parajubaea S. pollen. There should be plenty to distribute among our Palmtalk members. It is good to hear from you. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Hi, Tim:

Congratulations on your success! I'd like to reserve my hybrid seed or seedling now!

Best Wishes,

merrill

Merrill, I have pollinated a second Queen inflourescence with the same Parajubaea S. pollen. There should be plenty to distribute among our Palmtalk members. It is good to hear from you. Tim

Isn't he sweet?! :mrlooney:

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

That is great news Matthew. I would like to officially enter the lottery for one of those seedlings. Of course I know that Gary is first in line. Tim

Tim, I sent you a private message, just wanted to make sure you got it.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Thanks Matt, Looking forward to seeing those Butia X Parajubea sunkha seeds germinate. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I am very happy with the seed set on the second queen inflorescence using Parajubaea Sunkha pollen. I got 75% to set using the new technique with the powder container. It was much easier to evenly distribute the flour/pollen mixture three times daily for four days. I rarely have seed sets this good, so the queen must be very receptive to the P. Sunkha pollen. The first infl. that I worked with only set about 25%. Hopefully will have some seeds ripening in just a few weeks. Here is a picture of the 75% seed set. The inflo. was initially cut in half to make it easier to cover. Tim

007-2.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Thats spectacular Tim, I take my hat off to you.

Resident in Bristol UK.

That's outstanding Tim! Congrats for such a successful seed set. Best wishes for continued success.

Rich

This data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall the providers be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from lost data or lost profits or revenue, the costs of recovering such data, the costs of substitute data, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use the data. Other terms may apply.

• 2 weeks later...

Great seed set on that second queen.... any updated pics???

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

• 4 weeks later...

So far, so good. Fruit are still growing as temps cool off. They should be getting close to ripening. This first photo shows one great seed set. The other two are just fair. Still, I think that I will have over 1000 seeds to work with when they ripen.

001-6.jpg

002-10.jpg

006-1.jpg

005-5.jpg

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Wow congratulations! That's gotta be an exciting accomplishment if you ask me. :lol:

Tyler

Coastal Zone 9a

''Karma is a good girl, she just treats you exactly how you treat her"

*Gets four fingers and rapidly slaps them into palm of the other hand*

It's called CLAPPING.

Bravo!

Me, who love the "juiciness" of the second pic.

upmelbavatar.jpg

Melbourne, Australia.

Temps range from -1C to 46C. Strange Climate.

Good job Tim!!

Hats off to you for not forgetting the great Merrill Wilcox! Keep up the great work and i cannot wait to see what these guys will look like!!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

Very nice work Tim, that's a serious seed set.

Matt in Temecula, CA

Very nice work Tim, that's a serious seed set.

Matt hows your efforts going along ? Whats the latest on your BxC ?

Resident in Bristol UK.

Good job Tim!!

Hats off to you for not forgetting the great Merrill Wilcox! Keep up the great work and i cannot wait to see what these guys will look like!!

Mark, Merrill is my inspiration and the one who first got me interested in hybrids. A big thanks to Merrill Wilcox and Charlie Raulerson.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Tim those pics rock!!!! Congrats.... can't wait till you're germinating those babies! Jv

Thanks everyone, I will update as seeds ripen. I plan to cut some seeds open with photos as they mature. Hopefully they will look healthy and viable. Tim

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Good job Tim!!

Mark, Merrill is my inspiration and the one who first got me interested in hybrids. A big thanks to Merrill Wilcox and Charlie Raulerson.

I know, Merrill was my mentor and inspiration as well. I think it's cool of you to pay it forward!

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I know, Merrill was my mentor and inspiration as well. I think it's cool of you to pay it forward!

Merrill seems to have inspired an entire new generation of hybridisers ( including me) to continue his work and some of the things being done are amazing.

Resident in Bristol UK.

• 1 month later...

Just an update to inform everyone that these Syagrus x P. Sunkha seeds are taking a long time to ripen. I just assumed that they would ripen in the same time as plain syagrus. Other plain syagrus inflourescences on my property that are of the same age have already ripened and fallen to the ground. These Syagrus x P. Sunkha have not really changed in appearance since the last photos above. I have cut open a few to find that the seed is slightly smaller than normal, but look perfectly healthy.

Tim Hopper

St Augustine Florida

timhoppers@gmail.com

Just an update to inform everyone that these Syagrus x P. Sunkha seeds are taking a long time to ripen. I just assumed that they would ripen in the same time as plain syagrus. Other plain syagrus inflourescences on my property that are of the same age have already ripened and fallen to the ground. These Syagrus x P. Sunkha have not really changed in appearance since the last photos above. I have cut open a few to find that the seed is slightly smaller than normal, but look perfectly healthy.

Tim, I had a feeling this would happen....

Resident in Bristol UK.