IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Thailand Biennial 2012

Jeff Searle

I was recently told that the dates for Thailand might be moved from Sept. to now October. Is this possible? For some of us that are planning a trip like, we need to be sure on correct dates for various reasons. And for one big reason...flight dates including connecting flights.

Could one of the board members that knows something / anything, please chime in. Thank-you.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jeff, I agree; this is a serious trip that counts on a lot of different variables in order to make happen. Solid dates are essential!

yes,i agree with ya'll. oops,i mean ALL ya'll. :lol:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

We are hoping to have definite dates very soon. I agree that the sooner we find out, the better it is, but you can't make flight reservations until 11 months in advance anyway. That would be October 2011 if the Biennial is in September 2012. So, still a few months before that's even remotely an issue. And, hopefully, we'll have the definite dates LONG before that. As soon as I know, everybody else will be informed here on PalmTalk.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

thanks,bo,for the prompt response.

still "warning-free."

This will need a lot more organization from my end.... I am trialling my in-laws to look after the kids in Oct for a week while I am going to Bali to look at Made Wijaya's garden. If this is successful, I might ask them to come for 2 weeks.... Unfortunately, without babysitter, this just won't happen :(

Regards, Ari :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

This will need a lot more organization from my end.... I am trialling my in-laws to look after the kids in Oct for a week while I am going to Bali to look at Made Wijaya's garden. If this is successful, I might ask them to come for 2 weeks.... Unfortunately, without babysitter, this just won't happen :(

which garden do you mean,ari?

still "warning-free."

We are hoping to have definite dates very soon. I agree that the sooner we find out, the better it is, but you can't make flight reservations until 11 months in advance anyway. That would be October 2011 if the Biennial is in September 2012. So, still a few months before that's even remotely an issue. And, hopefully, we'll have the definite dates LONG before that. As soon as I know, everybody else will be informed here on PalmTalk.

And the BOD meeting is when? Will it be decided then and there ?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff,

The IPS BOD meeting this year is on Friday, October 14th, at Hotel Botanico in Puerto de la Cruz on the island of Tenerife in the Canary Islands. Currently 18 Directors have signed up to be there. And we are most definitely hoping to have the dates for the 2012 Thailand Biennial nailed down LONG before that BOD meeting in October! I just sent Anders Lindström and Kampon Tansacha (Nong Nooch) an email today, asking for the dates.

And when the BOD meeting in conjunction with a Biennial takes place is always a given - the same day as the Welcome Dinner. This is typically either on a Friday or a Saturday, and the BOD meeting begins in the morning, some time between 8 and 9 am. And after a lunch break, it's usually wrapped up right around 5 pm. And then, an hour later, around 6 pm, is when people begin to congegrate for the Welcome Dinner.

Are you thinking of becoming a Director? :) Currently there are only 31 Directors worldwide, and we can have up to 34, so there are a few open slots. We can certainly use more people, who are interested in getting something done! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

thanks again for keeping us informed,bo. i am sure alot of folks will want to attend this biennial & need to

make sure there are no conflicts in their schedules.

still "warning-free."

and....here's the biggie, approx how much we talking here ?, less air fare...

I just checked some airfares (for October 2011) and here's my initial findings with a comparison of a Darwin flight.

That's not exactly expensive in the scheme of things.

378.00 Brisbane to Darwin return (Virgin Australia)

1039.00 Brisbane to Phuket return (Singapore Airlines)

Definitely worth considering..

So who's considering going from Palmtalk then ?

Could we organise an international raffle to raise funds for the empty pocket ones ? I know, let's put all the names in a hat from PT, and IPS will fund a Thailand trip for one lucky member's name which will be drawn from the hat, fair and square.

I'll arrange the raffle side of it and even provide the hat. It's all above board, I won't draw out the name, my wife will. Can't get much fairer than that.. :D

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Tempting :unsure:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Wal,

We are still waiting for more specific information, which obviously includes the actual registration cost for the event itself. Registration for the event covers accomodation for the six or seven nights in question, all transportation and most meals. There may be one or two dinners that will be "on your own". And when Anders Lindström from Nong Nooch made his presentation in Brazil in April 2010 he indicated that the registration cost per person, based on double occupancy, will be around US$900. Which, I might point out, would be MUCH lower than any recent Biennial. But, I need to stress, we are still awaiting confirmation.

Air fare is ALWAYS extra and something each participant arranges on his or her own.

As far as a raffle, this is not something the IPS could even remotely be part of. Directly or indirectly. Not going to happen.

Bo-Göran

Thanks Bo for the update, I have just been told of another airlines that had a $600 special return airfare from BrisVegas to Thailand last week, name of Strategic Airlines. In the right place at the right time can save heaps it seems. :huh:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

You can save a heap if the airline is still around a year from now. Not going to make any recommendations except to say that going with an established carrier, even if it's a bit more expensive gives you a bit more security. Strategic Airlines currently only has 4 (FOUR) aircraft in it fleet, and only ONE is capable of longhaul flights - an Airbus A330-200. The other three are A320s.

check airasia, Wal... you might have to stop everywhere though.....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

check airasia, Wal... you might have to stop everywhere though.....

I checked them out Ari and a return would be less than $800 but you have to get out of your plane at Kuala Lumpur and hop on an elephant to finish the journey.

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Nah..they are not that bad, Wal. Just keep an eye on their special.

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Lucky guys from Australia...sigh...

The cheapest air route for us here seems to be Recife-São Paulo-Johannesbourg-Dubai-Bangkok, flying TAM, SAA and Emirates...and we'll probably have to start the trip two weeks in advance, unless we expect to enjoy 3 jet lags in a row, haha...and still, I'd love to visit China for a post tour, as well...

I've been trying to convince the Mrs that we could stop in South Africa for a week before continuing the journey. If Alberto and Liana both decide to join our group, there'll be at least 6 Brazilians in Nong Nooch to enjoy the party. I wouldn't miss this one for nothing...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gileno,

Yes, it's a long way from Brazil, but you don't have to travel through South Africa. Emirates has a nonstop São Paulo-Dubai flight and I believe it's a daily flight.

Bo-Göran

It's funny but the direct flight to Dubai seems to be more expensive than if we go to Joburg first with SAA and then catch Emirates flight from there...I checked with cheaptickets.com...and also we don't feel very comfortable with 13+ hours direct ones...besides, visiting South Africa on our way would be very exciting too, I've always wanted to visit Capetown and the Kirstenbosch gardens...not to mention our friend Dennis in Durbs...

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

Gileno,

Well, if you want to visit South Africa as well, different story obviously. But keep in mind - the Biennial is more than a year from now. Any airline rates that you may find out about now could be different next year, and I'm guessing that eventually, when we get closer in time, the nonstop São Paulo-Dubai flight will be the less expensive option. But yes, it's a long flight!

Bo-Göran

While you are on the this side of the world, Gileno... You should take a side trip to Australia :) :). Darwin from Thailand is not expensive :)

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Hey Gileno, when we went to the biennial in Rio, I had 35 hours flying time with five stops on the way, you will be ok mate :winkie: Seriously though a stop over in South Africa sounds like the way to go. :)

Bruce

Innisfail - NQ AUS - 3600mm of rain a year average or around 144inches if you prefer - Temp Range 9c to 43c