IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Widow of Doctor U.A. Young RIP

Palmateer

Many of us still remember the hospitality and friendship of Ben Young (November 7, 1922 - July 9, 2011), wife of the late U. A. Young, MD. She died in Tampa. U.A. Young was President of the Palm Society in the mid-1970s.

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

Mom passed away on Saturday. She and Dad were from another generation of IPS members.

Following are pictures from her garden, taken either on the day she passed or today.

Peace

Brad

post-771-038843000 1310410621_thumb.jpg

post-771-053437800 1310410638_thumb.jpg

post-771-038727100 1310410653_thumb.jpg

post-771-034765400 1310410669_thumb.jpg

post-771-032788300 1310410688_thumb.jpg

post-771-020364000 1310410703_thumb.jpg

post-771-066703600 1310410735_thumb.jpg

post-771-046629900 1310410754_thumb.jpg

post-771-022690300 1310410776_thumb.jpg

post-771-060702200 1310410793_thumb.jpg

post-771-016133700 1310410810_thumb.jpg

Our best wishes, Brad. A beautiful place to be at the end.

Tom
Mid-Pinellas (St. Petersburg) Florida, USA

Member of Palm Society 1973-2012
Gizella Kopsick Palm Arboretum development 1977-1991
Chapter President 1983-84
Palm Society Director 1984-88

If there is anything that teaches a man about the passage of time, of life and of death, it is a garden. A garden keeper is a special being on this earth of ours watching new leaves emerge and become beautiful, and old ones die. A gardener has a keen eye and true sentiment of our real purpose for being. I didn't know your Mother, Brad, but something tells me she was a kind spirit. My deepest sympathy. Peter

Peter

hot and humid, short rainy season May through October, 14* latitude, 90* longitude

Very sorry to hear this Brad. Your parents generated one of the most beautiful gardens in Central FL & paved the way for others to start growing more unique palms. Always enjoyed the visits & old stories about your parents trips. I hope you can keep this living memory in the family. Hang in there, I know it must be tough.

May she rest in peace with your father, Brad.

I was on my way driving to Tallahassee from Miami one summer (yes the long way around purposely to see west coast gardens) and I called upon your parents. Not knowing me, only that I was a member of the IPS, they opened the garden and toured me around a bit. I was so impressed not only with the garden, but with your parents' hospitality. I thoroughly enjoyed all the stories of past meetings, biennials, and drama from the late Paul Drummond....a lot of which included your folks!

You were very lucky to have shared your life with them, and more importantly to call them 'mom' and 'dad.' I would be so proud.

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale

Rick Leitner

Fort Lauderdale, Florida

26.07N/80.15W

Zone 10B

Average Annual Low 67 F

Average Annual High 84 F

Average Annual Rainfall 62"

Riverfront exposure, 1 mile from Atlantic Ocean

Part time in the western mountains of North Carolina

Gratefully, the best of both worlds!

Sorry to hear about your loss Brad :(

-Krishna

-Krishna

Kailua, Oahu HI. Near the beach but dry!

Still have a garden in Zone 9a Inland North Central Florida (Ocala)

Brad,

I remember the first time I met your parents, and it was at a palm sale at Fairchild Gardens in the early 70's. A rope had been put up and all the palm nuts were ganged up behind it. When the rope was removed at 8 AM, there was a mad scramble for the palms. There were only 2 Chamberonias for sale and your mother grabbed one by the container and Paul Drummond was hanging on to the trunk. There was a tug of war and the palm popped out of the container. Ben said "I have the can," and Paul said, "Yeah, but I got the palm." Later that day your parents dropped by Paul's place which was only a couple of blocks away from Fairchild. We all laughed about the scramble earlier in the day.

I used to layover in Tampa often and your father would pick me up at my downtown hotel and drive me to the paradise where your parents lived. Ben would always have a cold martinni waiting and we would sit on the screened in pourch and chat and then a garden walk. I remember many fond evenings visiting your parents who were wonderful and gracious hosts.

I'm so sorry to hear that Ben has passed, and my thoughts are with you.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Wishing you peace.... gorgeous garden! Jv

Jv in San Antonio Texas / Zone 8/extremes past 29 yrs: 117F (47.2C) / 8F (-13.3C)

Brad,

Please accept my heartful sympathy in your time of great sorrow. Amoung many other things, I feel you will cherish that beautiful garden.

kpl

Enjoying MY home and garden in Leilani Estates, "K.P. Lundkvist Palm Garden"

Brad,

I'm terribly sorry to hear about your loss. I was informed of your mother's passing by your cousin Elizabeth Bolint. Your family is in my prayers.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Brad,

So sorry to hear about your loss. You have my deepest sympathies.

Wayne

52% 9B / 42% 10A / 6% "Other"

Brandon.gif

To all:

Thank you for the kind thoughts and memories.

A memorial celabrating Mom's life will be held on Sunday, July 24 at 2:00, at Marisiano Funeral Home in Tampa. Following the memorial, all are invited to a memorial "Garden Walk" through Mom's garden. If you would like to visit the garden and have never been there, please PM me for the address.

post-771-001020900 1311305007_thumb.jpgpost-771-008824000 1311305057_thumb.jpg

Brad

The garden visit is scheduled for 4:00, and do not feel like you must come to the memorial to be welcomed at the garden.

Edited by Brad-Tampa

Brad,

My deepest condolences,

wishing you good thoughts of pleasant memories to assuage your grief.

Best wishes,

Ed