IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Transplanting a piccabeen? Is it possable?

Mark Heath

I have a large Piccabeen that i would like to move in the spring.  If i dig a HUGE rootball, what are the chances for survival?  If i get negative feedback, then i guess i can't move it!   Thanks in advance.

Mark

Orlando, Florida

zone 9b

The Pollen Poacher!!

GO DOLPHINS!!

GO GATORS!!!

Palms, Sex, Money and horsepower,,,, you may have more than you can handle,,

but too much is never enough!!

I moved a ´´double´´ a few years ago. They are now growing...so it´s not impossible!

Carambeí, 2nd tableland of the State Paraná , south Brazil.

Alt:1030m. Native palms: Queen, B. eriospatha, B. microspadix, Allagoptera leucocalyx , A.campestris, Geonoma schottiana, Trithrinax acanthocoma. Subtr. climate, some frosty nights. No dry season. August: driest month. Rain:1700mm

I am seeking for cold hardy palms!

I transplanted one back in October to a new spot and didn't have any problem with it. It was about 6' tall and had been at the old spot for 3-4 months.

Diamond Bar, CA

Be very careful not to sever any roots as all king palms are hemofeliacs. Forgive me if I miss spelt that but they are heavy bleeders so be very careful. While I have heard of some success stories I've heard of more failures. I've even heard of cauderising the roots with a welding torch helps to stop the bleeding when moving larger palms.

Dave Hughson

Carlsbad, Ca

1 mile from ocean

Zone 10b

Palm freaks are good peeps!!!!!

They move pretty easy here in NZ, although they tend to look pretty bad for a couple of years unless they get almost all rootball. Funny thing is they move easily here, but A. alexandrae is difficult. Opposite of most countries... possibly something related to our very cool growing conditions?

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

Back in the early 90s when I lived near San Diego I bought 10 good sized A. cunninghamiana that were in the ground. The owner of the palms gave me a good deal and assured me that they knew how to move them. And they did know!

A couple of months before the actual move they dug the four sides on all the palms and boxed them (if I recall correctly in 36 inch boxes). So now the palms were still in the ground but they were in wooden boxes, except for the bottom where the roots were still attached to the soil. When the time came to move them, they pulled the palms gently out of their holes, and these palms had no setback whatsoever. We put them directly in the ground upon delivery.

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Mark,

I moved one and didn't get all of the roots.  It was setback for awhile but came back with a vengeance.  It can be done.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B