Photo

Brahea Nitida

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PalmGuyWC

PalmGuyWC

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 4,350 posts
  • Location:Walnut Creek, CA, 94598, 30 NE of San Francisco. Hot and cold Med. climate

Posted 11 January 2007 - 03:49 AM

I have two small Brahea nitidas, one that has been through 4 winters, and the other, smaller, and just planted last summer.  Both of mine are green, but I've seen pictures where the underside of the fronds are glaucious, and almost white.  I'm wondering if this is a characteristic that shows up later as the palm matures?

My larger one gets a good bit of shade, but seems to tollerate it quite well and has continued to grow, even with the cool temperatures we have had lately. I get conflicting information on the minimum temps they will take.  Both of mine showed no damage on Dec 19th with a low somewhat at, or below 25 F.  With the onslaught of Artic air about to desend on us, I'm wondering if I should cover them?

I have 5 species of Brahea's with B. armata being the most cold hardy and B. brandegeei showing frond damage below 25 F., but they all survived the 89/90 freeze with no trunk damage.  It took awhile for the B. brandegeei to recover.  The B. armata was untouched at 14F.

Any suggestions or advise?

Thanks,

Dick
Richard Douglas

PalmTalk Advertising

#2 DoomsDave

DoomsDave

Dave of the Dead

• IPS DIRECTOR
  • 21,055 posts

Posted 12 January 2007 - 04:45 PM

If my expereince is any guide, they'll take some pretty serious cold.

All the desert palms will.  Mid-20s F should be no problem, possibly down to 20 F . . .

Someone correct me if theire experience is different?

dave

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

#3 PalmGuyWC

PalmGuyWC

• IN MEMORIAM
  • 4,350 posts
  • Location:Walnut Creek, CA, 94598, 30 NE of San Francisco. Hot and cold Med. climate

Posted 12 January 2007 - 07:01 PM

Thanks Dave,

I expect mine will get cold tested tonight to 20 or below.

Dick
Richard Douglas

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users