• Announcements

• IPS BIENNIAL - SARAWAK / SINGAPORE JUNE 12-19   01/23/2016

STILL TIME TO REGISTER!!
      Don't miss this opportunity to hike through natural forest areas of Borneo to see palms in habitat led by expert guides. Experience the culture and cuisine of this exotic Southeast Asian country with fellow IPS travelers.
      In Singapore you'll experience the world's largest covered garden, Gardens by the Bay, and tour the venerable Singapore Botanic Garden. 
      You must be an IPS member to register, so sign up today. For more information click HERE (For more info of past biennials and member experiences see the BIENNIAL FORUM on Palmtalk.)   One of the exotic palms of Borneo
    • NEW FORUM - PALMS IN POTS   01/23/2016

CHECK IT OUT BELOW I think it is self explanatory - it's right below the COLD HARDY PALMS FORUM.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Brahea Nitida

3 posts in this topic

I have two small Brahea nitidas, one that has been through 4 winters, and the other, smaller, and just planted last summer.  Both of mine are green, but I've seen pictures where the underside of the fronds are glaucious, and almost white.  I'm wondering if this is a characteristic that shows up later as the palm matures?

My larger one gets a good bit of shade, but seems to tollerate it quite well and has continued to grow, even with the cool temperatures we have had lately. I get conflicting information on the minimum temps they will take.  Both of mine showed no damage on Dec 19th with a low somewhat at, or below 25 F.  With the onslaught of Artic air about to desend on us, I'm wondering if I should cover them?

I have 5 species of Brahea's with B. armata being the most cold hardy and B. brandegeei showing frond damage below 25 F., but they all survived the 89/90 freeze with no trunk damage.  It took awhile for the B. brandegeei to recover.  The B. armata was untouched at 14F.

Any suggestions or advise?

Thanks,

Dick

If my expereince is any guide, they'll take some pretty serious cold.

All the desert palms will.  Mid-20s F should be no problem, possibly down to 20 F . . .

Someone correct me if theire experience is different?

dave

Thanks Dave,

I expect mine will get cold tested tonight to 20 or below.

Dick