IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Cycad Day 2011

George Sparkman

Cycad Day 2011

This year's Cycad Day event will be held on Saturday, June 25, at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden in Coral Gables, FL.

It is open to TCS members and non-members alike.

Click here for more information. We hope to see you there!

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

Looks like you have a great event planned George. I won't be able to make this one - wish I would have know sooner. I'm sure the info was in the newsletter, but I've had so much going on that I haven't had a chance to read them. Hopefully I can catch up on my reading later this summer.

Hi Kathryn,

sorry you can't be there on Saturday it's sure to be quite good being at a place as great as Fairchild.

Jody did a great job of putting this Cycad Day together.

Here is the latest info on the event :

Cycad Day 2011

The Cycad Society (TCS) has only one board meeting each year, and it is always scheduled in a different part of the country (or occasionally a different country). This year's board meeting is scheduled for Friday, June 24, at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden (FTBG) in Coral Gables, FL. Associated with each board meeting, TCS also hosts a special "Cycad Day" event on the Saturday following the board meeting. As might be expected, Cycad Day 2011 is scheduled for Saturday, June 25, also at FTBG.

Open to TCS members and non-members alike, this year's event will have a little bit of everything, for both the serious collector as well as the beginning hobbyist. Gates open and registration begins at 9:30 a.m., and the event will start promptly at 10:00 a.m. The full schedule of events is provided below. Click here to download a printable version (PDF) of the schedule. (NOTE: Non-members of Fairchild will be required to pay a $25 entrance fee, and all attendees wishing to partake in the full catered lunch will need to pay an additional $15 per person.)

Schedule of Events

9:30 a.m.

Gates Open / Registration

10:00 a.m.

Welcome by Fairchild President Bruce Greer

10:05 a.m.

Opening Remarks by Cycad Society President Jody Haynes

10:15 a.m.

Membership Appeal by Membership Director Dr. Craig Nazor

10:20 a.m.

“Taxonomical, Nomenclatural & Biogeographical Revelations in the Zamia skinneri Species Complex in Panama” presentation by Jody Haynes

11:00 a.m.

“The Various Uses for Coffee: Getting Rid of the Insects that Bug Us, While Making Our Plants Grow Better” presentation by Tom Broome

11:40 a.m.

“Cycad Aulacaspis Scale Ravages All of Panama... Well, Almost!” presentation by Dr. Alberto Taylor

12:20 p.m.

“Current Status of Some South African Encephalartos Populations” presentation by Paul Sternberg

1:00 p.m.

Catered Lunch & Auction Setup

2:00 p.m.

Rare Cycad Plant, Seed, Art & Book Auction

TBD

Microcycas calocoma Seedling Raffle

TBD

Guided Tour of Fairchild’s Cycad Collection

Membership, Auction & Raffle

Each year, the Cycad Day event represents an important opportunity for TCS to increase membership and to raise money for worthy cycad research and conservation grants. But to have a great auction requires great items to be donated to benefit the society.

This year the auction will include rare and one-of-a-kind cycad plants, seeds, books, artwork, color back issues of the Cycad Newsletter, and even a cycad fossil. As you might expect, this is expected to be one of the best auctions we have ever had.

Below is a list of some of the items that we expect to have up for auction. In addition, a recent bonus for Cycad Day attendees will be the raffle of a Microcycas calocoma seedling.

Scroll down for more information on the auction and raffle, and make sure you check back often for an updated list of auction items!

Plants

The plants being donated for this year's auction range from common to rare and from seedling to large, landscape-ready specimens. The following is a list of just some of the species we expect to offer:

Ceratozamia hildae

Ceratozamia kuesteriana

Ceratozamia latifolia

Ceratozamia microstrobila

Cz. miqueliana x euryphyllidia

Ceratozamia norstogii

Cz. robusta 'Santiago Tuxtla'

Cycas couttsiana

Cycas debaoensis

Cycas elephantipes

Cycas guizhoensis x taitungensis

Cycas panzhihuaensis

Cycas petraea

Dioon edule

Dioon edule 'Palma Sola'

Dioon mejiae

Dioon merolae

Dioon spinulosum

Encephalartos aemulans

Encephalartos arenarius

Encephalartos cerinus

E. chimanimaniensis 'Makurupini'

Encephalartos ferox 'Xai Xai'

Encephalartos friderici-guilielmi

Encephalartos gratus

Encephalartos hildebrandtii

Encephalartos horridus

Encephalartos lehmannii

Encephalartos natalensis

Enc. natalensis 'Oribi Gorge'

Encephalartos ngoyanus

Encephalartos nubimontanus

Encephalartos princeps

Encephalartos pterogonas

Encephalartos sclavoi

Encephalartos transvenosus

Enc. transvenosus x woodii

Encephalartos trispinosus

Encephalartos turneri 'Rebaue'

Encephalartos whitelockii

Encephalartos sp. 'Bandula'

Macrozamia cardiacensis

Macrozmia johnsonii

Macrozamia miquelii

Macrozamia polymorpha

Zamia amblyphyllidia

Zamia angustifolia

Zamia decumbens

Zamia nesophila

Zamia inermis

Zamia soconocensis

Zamia standleyi

Zamia tuerckheimii

Zamia variegata

Zamia vazquezii

Zamia sp. 'Cuba'

Zamia sp. 'Puerto Rico Bronze Emergent'

Seeds

Below is a list of seeds that will be available. We expect to add several more species to the list.

Ceratozamia hildae

Ceratozamia miqueliana

Dioon mejiae

Encephalartos altensteinii

Encephalartos ferox

Encephalartos gratus

Encephalartos lebomboensis

Encephalartos manikensis

Encephalartos villosus

Zamia lucayana

Zamia sp. 'Jamaican Giant'

Books

The books that will be available for auction are listed below. All of these books are out of print and are either nearly impossible to get (i.e., Giddy) or are currently quite expensive (i.e., Whitelock).

Cycads of South Africa, 1st ed., by Cynthia Giddy (1974)

Cycads of the World, 1st ed., by David Jones (1991)

The Biology, Structure, and Systematics of the Cycadales - Proceedings of CYCAD 90, the Second International Conference on Cycad Biology, by Dennis Stevenson & Knut Norstog, eds. (1993)

The Biology of the Cycads, by Knut Norstog & Trevor Nicholls (1998)

The Cycads, by Loran Whitelock (2002)

Artwork

Two wonderful pieces by the world-renowned cycad artist and author, Douglas Goode, will be up for auction. Descriptions of each piece are provided below. (Click the underlined links to view the pieces.)

"Visitor" (Encephalartos friderici-guilielmi) - numbered print (41 of 75) - 23" X 19"

Encephalartos ngoyanus - original watercolor (no prints made) - 15" X 11.75"

Zamia lindenii Male Cones - high-resolution print of front cover of December 2010 issue of Cycad Newsletter - 11" X 17"

Miscellaneous

The following auction items do not easily fit into a category.

A complete set of color back issues of the Cycad Newsletter (2002-present)

A one-of-a-kind cycad fossil (section of trunk)

Raffle

A recent development for Cycad Day is the raffle of a Microcycas calocoma seedling! Raffle tickets will be on sale at the event for $5 each (or 6 for $25), with no limit on the number of tickets an individual can buy. Someone could realistically go home from Cycad Day with an exceptionally rare, critically endangered, and highly sought-after species for the price of a drive-through lunch! (Note: Winner must be present to win.)

Happy growing,

George Sparkman

Cycads-n-Palms.com

I'll be there bright and early and look forward to having a great time and seeing lots of friends, while the wifey stays home and prefers to work in the garden. :D

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

I believe David Jones, Cycads of the World Book was first printed in 1993, not in 1991. I guess when were talking in cycad terms, two years would be like a couple of hours(?). :D

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Jeff was quite generous with plants for the auction. I went home with cute young Lepidozamia peroffskyana that needs space to become a big one, a nice Ceratozamia latifolia, about full-sized, a Zamia variegata to join three others, and a nice, big Encephalartos hillebrandii, seen here in the gloaming of our finally-arrived rainy season.

Encephalartos%252520hillebrandii%252520June%2525202011.jpg

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

Dave,

Good to see you in attendance. It's greatly appreciated by all because of your long drive down and then have to turn around to go home. There was some very nice plants for the auction, ones that I think went for very good prices. Big,big thanks to Jody for pulling off this great event and to any others that had a hand into it. I thought it was well run, organized, very relaxing and some good slide shows w/ speakers. Thanks again,

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Yes, it sure was a great Cycad Day and well worth my 4 hour drive.

Got to meet a bunch of really interesting people.

Thanks Jody,George,Craig and the other board members for making this happen.

Michael

It’s a bummer that I was unable to attend (death in the family), but I understand that my fellow Palm Beach Palm and Cycad society members cleaned up! If I had gone there wouldn’t have been enough room for the plants in the vehicle. :(

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach