IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Anyone here live on Norfolk Island

Gary

I am wanting to know the difference in the 2 baueri forms as fact and not guess work.A local on the island shouldbe able to help or anyone with Norfolk Habitat pics of this palm.

Thanks Gary

I would like to know the answer to that question too. Basically because I love the genus and they suit my ideas for my shady garden areas. Norfolk Island doesn't have a big population, so the chances of a Palmtalk member there is pretty slim I would think.

I would love to know which form has black petioles and a brownish emerging spear.

Best regards

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

One thing I want to know is is it true that the two baueri forms have different climatic preferences, as is often claimed. I guess it's possible as NI has highest point around 300m elevation, and Raoul Island has most of the nikaus above that elevation.

Raoul low altitude climate stats can be found here; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raoul_Island. Subtracting 2-3C from these figures gives an approximation of cheesemanii temperature range, showing why it is such a great mild temperate palm.

Waimarama New Zealand (39.5S, 177E)

Oceanic temperate

summer 25C/15C

winter 15C/6C

No frost, no heat

One thing I want to know is is it true that the two baueri forms have different climatic preferences, as is often claimed. I guess it's possible as NI has highest point around 300m elevation, and Raoul Island has most of the nikaus above that elevation.

Raoul low altitude climate stats can be found here; http://en.wikipedia....i/Raoul_Island. Subtracting 2-3C from these figures gives an approximation of cheesemanii temperature range, showing why it is such a great mild temperate palm.

Ben send me an email as cannt find your one

• 6 years later...

Visiting Norfolk Island is on my bucket list!! Such unusual flora.

looking-south-from-the-norfolk-island-na

palm-glen-track-norfolk.jpg

20160326-161113-largejpg.jpgP3193053-2-750x563.jpg

norfolk-island-00207.jpg

Edited by Opal92
  • Upvote 1