IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rich Trapnell

Pedro 65

Rich Trapnell sadly passsed away yesterday June 6th.

Rich was born April 23 1950 in Wilmington Delaware USA.

He attended Westminster boarding school in Conneticut then studied at Harvard University.

Rich moved to Australia in 1971 to pursue his passion in nature by growing and selling tropical exotic fruit trees and rare palms, by the mid to late 80's Rich and Rosebud farms business comprised mainly of selling rare palm seedlings and plants.

Rich prided himself in selling the highest quality palm seedlings and plants available to the public.

Rich died exactly 40 years to the day he moved to 'Rosebud Farm' Karanda far north Queensland and will be sadly missed by all,He is a true Palm Legend.

Rich has two sons Nate and Digby.

http://www.rosebudfarmnursery.com/history.html

Edited by Pedro 65
  • Upvote 1

What a loss to the palm world. A great grower & nursery man, a friend to many....

Ari & Scott

Darwin, NT, Australia

-12°32'53" 131°10'20"

Very very sad news indeed.

Rich was an exceptional nursey man & a top guy that was always happy to help.

He will be sadly missed.

Matt

Northern

New South Wales

Australia

A Mate,A Mentor Rich, You'll be Sadly missed in our

Circle, So so Sad :( Cheers Rich, Uncle wiggly, to

my kids..... This weekend isn't going to be the

same with you gone my friend....

Edited by calyptrocalyx&licuala freck

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Its always a loss to lose a link to history... :(

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Hey Mikey, was it Rich who grew some of the first Foxy lady palms ?

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

A sad day indeed. I only met Rich a hand full of times. He was the most gracious host ever when I visited, and was always up for a good chat, intent to pass on some of his vast knowledge down the line. Absolutely amazing what he has achieved and what a legacy he leaves behind. A true gentlemen, he will be dearly missed.

Kurt

Living the dream in the Rainforest - Average annual rainfall over 4000 mm a year!!!

Hey Mikey, was it Rich who grew some of the first Foxy lady palms ?

Wal thats correct "Foxy Lady" first come out of

Rosebud, Jeff Marcus was the first to purchase

this beauty as seedlings... Lots more to the story

and name, But I'm still mourning for now............ :(

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

I only just noticed this now. I can't believe it. That's just so sad. I met him twice and had dealt with him for many years. Such a nice guy. Definitely a very gracious gentleman. He worked hard doing something he loved. The palm world won't be the same now in my opinion. Much of my collection is due to him. This is a very very sad day. He was a pioneer in the palm world.

Rich was the originator of the Foxy Lady Palm and named it. I know many foxy lady seed got shipped to Perth by accident as standard foxtail seed many years ago, Rich told me that himself. I remember him showing me his Foxy Lady parents, where it all accidentally began, and his second generation Foxy Ladies. I was only the other day thinking it was time for a NQ trip and to go and say hello.

What a legend. What a loss. He'll be sorely missed. :(

Tyrone

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

I was just given a few Foxy Ladies.

I will have to plant a special Richy memorial garden.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Well I've got two garden beds with 3 Foxy Ladies in each. They can be both Rich's garden beds from now on.

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

R.I.P Rich Trapnell - a pioneer.

Was gracious enough to send me 4 Foxy Lady palms about 3 years ago. I shall treasure them even more now. sad.gif

Regards

Michael.

Just north of Cairns, Australia....16 Deg S.
Tropical climate: from 19C to 34C.

Spending a lot of time in Manila, Philippines... 15 Deg N.
Tropical climate: from 24C to 35C.

I just moved out of the shadehouse today 24 pots of Chambeyronia hookeri. They were grown from seed Rich sent me directly from his C hookeri's in his garden. When I was there last in July 07 they were just starting to ripen. Initially Rich was going to get hookeri seed in from Hawaii but something went wrong with that plan, so he sent me seed from his own tree. He was like that. He looked after the little guy. I will be keeping these plants and planting them around the place as they're now quite special plants.

Best regards

Tyrone

I so enjoyed this wonderful human being and will think of him every time I plant a seed

Theres a great little story i cant seem to paste of Rich and friends in the 70s. Sorry you will have to google Ellies House Rosebuddies.

I remember talking to Rich on the phone, and buying some plants from him about 5 years ago. He was a very nice guy, sorry to hear about this.

Christian Faulkner

Venice, Florida - South Sarasota County.

www.faulknerspalms.com

Μολὼν λάβε

Spoke to different ones in the palm nursery trade here in WA who dealt with Rich and Rosebud. They were in great shock to hear of Rich's passing. Rich was greatly liked by many far and wide. One nursery owner told me that "it hit him pretty hard" to hear the bad news.

Best regards

Tyrone

Was gracious enough to send me 4 Foxy Lady palms about 3 years ago. I shall treasure them even more now. sad.gif

Regards

Michael.

Foxy ladies in Melbourne ? How are they going ?

If you need a foster home, let me know... :winkie:

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Regards

Michael.

Foxy ladies in Melbourne ? How are they going ?

If you need a foster home, let me know... :winkie:

There a hardy plants Wal..One Day soon I'll let you all know how "Foxy lady" came about,

from name to location of the plants that produce Hybrids...

we have even had Veitchia joannis produce black seed...

Regards for now Mikey

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

Seedlings I have are Veitchia x Wodyetia and not variegated :rolleyes: so not the 'real deal' , maybe they should be called Vixen palms :unsure:

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Was lying awake last night thinking about the garden tour Rich gave my wife and I when I went up to visit him in 2005. Fond memories. Then I started thinking about the late Mikey Edwards who is in this thread too. I never ended up meeting him and getting a personalised tour of Flecker BG. Life is too short. :(

I have heard that Rosebud will only be selling seed in the future from their plants...no seedlings...

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I have heard that Rosebud will only be selling seed in the future from their plants...no seedlings...

That's a real shame. End of an era for sure. I wondered how things would eventually pan out now that Rich is gone. Most of my collection came from him as seedlings.

• 2 years later...

It's been just over 5 years since Rich's passing. I just last week planted some Chambeyronia hookeri's that were from seed from his plants in Kuranda. Memories.

Sorry about that previous comment .just getting used to the site   as for Rich's death 5 years ago what a sad loss. bought most of my palms from Rosebud,   visited twice in the last few years once shortly before his death ,was a great shock , anyone know whats happened to the beautiful collection of plants i had the feeling that it would be sold off maybe the property as well  that'd be sad,  has anyone taken over in the palm seedling area         cool and wet here in the McLaren Vale wine growing area 

17 hours ago, Teddles said:

Sorry about that previous comment .just getting used to the site   as for Rich's death 5 years ago what a sad loss. bought most of my palms from Rosebud,   visited twice in the last few years once shortly before his death ,was a great shock , anyone know whats happened to the beautiful collection of plants i had the feeling that it would be sold off maybe the property as well  that'd be sad,  has anyone taken over in the palm seedling area         cool and wet here in the McLaren Vale wine growing area 

Rosebud wont be sold, Richie's sons still live there, there not really into palms so the business is no longer. Richie's sons Nate n Digby are into art n music, they left Richies  answering machine message as was. "Hello, youve reached Rosebud Farm" ( Richies voice).  Pete

• Upvote 1

Rich was always so easy to deal with and always sent me great plants at rock bottom prices. After he passed away, Woody was running the internet sales for a while, but after he left, it went downhill and I stopped buying from there.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

• 4 months later...
On 5 July 2016 4:18:55 AM, Pedro 65 said:

Rosebud wont be sold, Richie's sons still live there, there not really into palms so the business is no longer. Richie's sons Nate n Digby are into art n music, they left Richies  answering machine message as was. "Hello, youve reached Rosebud Farm" ( Richies voice).  Pete

I remember that message. Haven't heard it for a long while now.