IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Licuala sarawakensis

Jason in Orlando

I took some photos today of my first L. sarawakensis to begin clumping.  This is a great little palm.

100_0109.jpg

New sucker...

100_0111.jpg

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Took some photos of other seedlings too...

Calyptrocalyx albertisiana

100_0115.jpg

Cyphophoenix elegans

100_0112.jpg

Cyrtostachys renda x3

100_0117.jpg

Perhaps starting to show a hint of color?

100_0118.jpg

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Niiice Jason!

Did you germinate all that yourself?

Great color on the Calyptrocalyx, and I think I can see red on the C. rendas, just have to get the Green and Blue out of some of those pixels  :D ... anyways they have excellent deep green leaves. Mine (1.5 years from seed, 3rd leaf) are a much lighter green, oh well. How old are yours?

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

Hi Frank.

I germinated all but the Cyrtostachys and the Calyptrocalyx.  Cyrtostachys came from Kapoho Palms, and I think the Calyptrocalyx came from Miller's Tropicals in South Florida (I purchased it two years ago at the Leu Gardens sale, ironically).  I reckon the Cyrtostachys are about four years old or so.  

Jason

Skell's Bells

Jason,

My Licuala sarawakensis looks very different from yours. A more squatty look.  Hmmmmmm?

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Hmmm.  I purchased them as seed from a reputable dealer.  Makes me question if I am getting what I think I am getting.  I just consulted the Riffle & Craft book which describes this species as solitary.  Could it be L. spinosa?  Appreciate any and all comments with respect to identification of any palm I post a photo of.

Thanks.

Jason

Skell's Bells

Jason,

Sorry about the possibilities of this not being L. sarawak.  Getting seeds labeled correctly, can and always will be a risk. So, it's not always the fault of the seed dealer. Getting back to your palm, it dosen't have any clear characteristics that point to a certain species that I can see. It certainly could be a L. spinosa.  Maybe in due time you will be able to tell. Or...when it finally flowers.

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

:( Sorry Jason, Your licuala is not L.sarawakensis, But To me It looks like Licuala rumphii, Whats your thoughts Jeff. My L.sarawakensis is flowering,will post pic's soon ,  THIS is not L.spinosa.
  • Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Hi Jason, Yes it does look like L.rumphii,can i ask were you got it from?

Clayton.

• Upvote 1

Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia

Minimum 3.C -------- maximum 43.C Average Annual Rainfall 1700mm

IPS Membership since 1991

PLANT MORE PALMS TO SOOTH THE SOUL

www.utopiapalmsandcycads.com

All three of the plants I have I germinated from seeds obtained from Rarepalmseeds.  Whatever Licuala species it is, I am still quite pleased with the form of the plant.  

Jason

Skell's Bells

its still a cool plant!i'm with jeff,looks a bit like spinosa...

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Hi Jason.

Like Jeff mentioned most of these licuala seeds are impossible to tell apart so Toby would have not been able to tell if the collectors were right or not.  L.rumphii is still quite rare so it’s just as good!! Looks like it is growing quite well for you as well.

Clayton

• Upvote 1

Dear Jason  :)

Great palm pictures & iam very glad you tried

palm seed germination and had success too_Great !

i tried to get certain seeds germinate but successes

rate is preety low.

And the wall behind your palm,that stucco finish is

fabulous_popular to houses in spain & mexico.

Thanks for those lovely stills.

Love,

Kris(India).

love conquers all..

43278.gif

(Jason in Orlando @ Jan. 09 2007,21:58)

All three of the plants I have I germinated from seeds obtained from Rarepalmseeds.  Whatever Licuala species it is, I am still quite pleased with the form of the plant.  

Jason

Jason,

Thats all that matters. Enjoy!

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

It's a nice plant regardless of what it turns out to be.  If it is spinosa, you can plant it out.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Does L. rumphii have armed petioles?  I can't find any descriptions or photos that indicate either way.

Jason

Skell's Bells

Yes they are armed check out Mr Anders Barfords revision of Licuala's, John Dransfield should be able to give contact details,by the way some thing like 7 var of L.spinosa Still at the size of your plant to me it resembles L.rumphii, which is a stunner plant, what for flowers, then we'll see Eh. :)  As Jeff said. Happy growing jason esp those Licuala's and Calyptrocalyx's :)

• Upvote 1

M.H.Edwards

"Living in the Tropic's

And loving it".............. smilie.gif

Hi Jason,

Have you any L.spinosa?, if you have check the arrangement of its spines please note that they are arranged in irregular order, after this you should be able to rule this sp out. There are not many licuala's that do not have spines Licuala ramsayii has one form as well as one clumping form. It is hard to find much information on some of these different licuala’s so it might take you some time, there are some botanical descriptions written but they are hard to get hold of. I hope this helps in some small way.

Clayton

• Upvote 1