IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Will We Have Another Cool Summer in California?

happ

June 8th, 80s are back. Only missed about up to 3 months of 80s :( could be worse? next year has to be better

Crowns are still trying to recover and hopefully this week they can. This prolonged cold is scary

Edited by enigma99

June 8th, 80s are back. Only missed about up to 3 months of 80s :( could be worse? next year has to be better

Crowns are still trying to recover and hopefully this week they can. This prolonged cold is scary

coastal san diego is still in the upper 60s for the next 7 days.

I should have never posted that the 2011 season has started.

how do you delete a post ?

At last! The low 80's are forecast for inland valleys of N. Calif. for the next week. This has been the coolest spring I can ever remember, and the latest rain. I got over an inch in the last storm. Humm, I'm wondering if this was a late rain or an early one.

Dick

Richard Douglas

In Santa Barbara at the airport we broke the record amount of rain for the month of June since 1941 when records started. We got over an inch of rain. Things are soposed to be getting back to normal, however that means fog and cool temperatures.

I do like the rain just not the cold that is usually associated with it.

Its taken until June 15 to finally have a low of 60F last night. My growing season is 2.5 months behind, but 90's are forecast for today, our first mini heat wave of the year. I turned my pool heater on yesterday for the first time this year..

Dick

Richard Douglas

santee is looking better and better...until winter :huh:

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Inland SD is still in the mid 70's yesterday and supposedly today. No need to be manic over the weather. This is perfect. Soil temps are warming, plenty of hours of daylight, mild to warm temps, not too hot. Palms love this weather, especially in our dry climate. They don't need it hot, and they really don't need it hot and dry. If it stayed this way the whole Summer everything would do just fine. But of course it'll get hot eventually, so no worries.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

Inland SD is still in the mid 70's yesterday and supposedly today. No need to be manic over the weather. This is perfect. Soil temps are warming, plenty of hours of daylight, mild to warm temps, not too hot. Palms love this weather, especially in our dry climate. They don't need it hot, and they really don't need it hot and dry. If it stayed this way the whole Summer everything would do just fine. But of course it'll get hot eventually, so no worries.

Misty mornings on the coast

After seeing Dean's garden upslope 2000+ feet in Kona, where we needed jackets in the evenings and mornings, and misty fog and condesation dripping from all the foliage in the mornings, I have a new appreciation for cool mild temps. Heck, he's got Cyrostachys renda growing and he never gets hot, ever! 70's is good.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

matt-

you dont find that when it jumps from the high 70s to about 82-84 everything goes nuts with growth?

it feels like around 82 is a magic number were bological activity goes crazy. you can even see that all the insects come to life at that temp also.

if i go in the backyard and its 76 there is not too much insect life, at 82 its is buzzing with flies, moths, spiders, bees and hornets, Mosquitoes, crawling bugs you name it.......

the dypsis go into fast mode at around 82 and the bizzie wont open any spears if its not at least 80 !

now when it hits around 87 things start to slow...... there must be a sweet spot

on the temps........hhhmmmmmmmmmm

:unsure:

Edited by trioderob

Obviously the warmer it is, the faster things grow (most things), but I don't know about those same plants slowing down at 87. :huh: Maybe if they aren't getting enough water that's true. Bizzie will definitely open spears below 80 but they do love it more as hot as possible. If you're only desiring fast growth then hotter is better, but 82 is a good balance. Warm enough to see good growth rates but not so hot that things get scortched or dry out too easily in our low humidity. The longer I grow palms the more I'm realizing that I don't crave explosive growth as much as I enjoy seeing the plants happy and healthy, even if they're not growing fast.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Hard to complain but just like last year, June is very cool thus far. In-fact all day temps have been in the 70's in foothill Los Angeles w/ only 2 days over 80F\ 26.6 [normal max: 83F\ 28.3C]. A persistent trough has settled in over the West Coast keeping temps down w/ lots of coastal clouds. Even the desert areas have generally recorded maximums below 100F\ 37.7C. It will warm a bit this week. Long-range forecast [late June\ early July] is for normal temps so maybe summer will finally arrive.

Hi: 77F\ 25C

Lo: 60F\ 15.5C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

Elevation: 910'/278m

January Average Hi/Lo: 69F/50F

July Average Hi/Lo: 88F/66F

Average Rainfall: 19"/48cm

USDA 11/Sunset 23

http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/queryF?MTW

what is with the san diego weather reports

one web site will state its 83 another states it 78

one states that a inland area is 75 and another area just as far inland 1 one mile north is 85

the reports are all over the place

some web pages are ALWAYS underpredicting the temps - if they state that the max will be 80 you can be sure it will be at least 85.

they NEVER EVER overestimate. go to a different page and they always OVERESTIMATE

go figure

:angry:

Edited by trioderob

what is with the san diego weather reports

one web site will state its 83 another states it 78

one states that a inland area is 75 and another area just as far inland 1 one mile north is 85

the reports are all over the place

some web pages are ALWAYS underpredicting the temps - if they state that the max will be 80 you can be sure it will be at least 85.

they NEVER EVER overestimate. go to a different page and they always OVERESTIMATE

go figure

:angry:

Rob,

Often the reason for the difference in reporting temperatures over short distances is the diversity of temps. For example inland San Diego temps today:

SAN MARCOS : 75

ESCONDIDO : 82

SAN PASQUAL : 83

RANCHO BERNARDO : 75

POWAY : 80

LA MESA : 74

SANTEE : 79

EL CAJON : 81

SPRING VALLEY : 73

LEMON GROVE : 73

Probably 10 degrees of warming tomorrow. Lots of 90's in coastal valleys of Los Angeles today.

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Yesterday the high here was 98F and today, the first day of summer, the forecast is for over 100F (38C). It's supposed to be hot here for the next week. It sure took a long time for hot weather to arrive here this year.

Dick

Richard Douglas

Yesterday the high here was 98F and today, the first day of summer, the forecast is for over 100F (38C). It's supposed to be hot here for the next week. It sure took a long time for hot weather to arrive here this year.

Dick

Pretty hot across the state today with lots of 100F+ temps including:

Bay Area

Concord: 101F

Livermore: 102F

Gilroy: 103F

Central Valley

Sacramento: 102F

Merced: 106F

Fresno: 104F

Bakersfield: 105F

Deserts

Needles: 111F

Palm Springs: 114F

Borrego Springs: 110F

El Centro: 113F

Much nicer near the ocean but I did record the warmest temp of the month so far:

Hi: 88F\ 31.1C

Lo: 61F\ 16.1C [still below normal]

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

high 80s now for southern cal.

palm growth is going nuts...........

Yes, it has been in the 80's for the past week but by next weekend\ July 4th summer kicks in big time with very hot temps. Time to irrigate. B)

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I think its great weather. Sure I would want it perfect all the time but how can I complain when I look at where I live? The only thing that bothers me is when I look at the 10 day forcast and it says sunny and 75-80 for all the days and the next day ill check it again and it will say something totally different!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

:hmm:

post-126-021479500 1309547787_thumb.jpg

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Is that your preferred method for getting rid of queens Matt? I used a chainsaw like a sucker...

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

• 2 weeks later...

Well very cold here with only 14 C with a northerluy gale and heavy downpours. And that in the middle of summer...

No me gusta Holanda!

Alexander

you are living in the wrong place,amigo! :mrlooney:

the "prince of snarkness."

still "warning-free."

san diego,california,left coast.

Well very cold here with only 14 C with a northerluy gale and heavy downpours. And that in the middle of summer...

No me gusta Holanda!

Alexander

That's a bummer; it can get that way in the Pacific NW on occasion during summer. :(

Very pleasant here & a bit warmer into the week; a chance of some really muggy weather next weekend.

84F\ 28.8C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

40C (104F) today.

some palms stopped growing a while ago

USDA Hardiness Zones 9b to 10a

AHS Heat Zones 8

altitude 100 meters (320 Feet)

4 km (2,4 Miles) from the Mediterranean

16716.gif

lowest ever recorded temperature -4 C (24 F)

maximum ever recored temperature 45 C (113 F)

mean minimum temperature January 7 C (44 F)

mean maximum temperature January 14 C (57 F)

mean minimum temperature July 23 C (74 F)

mean maximum temperature July 33 C (92 F)

average annual rainfall 330mm (13 Inch)

average annual sunshine 2800 hours

inland san diego is mid 80s now with almost 100% sunshine after 9:00 am

palms have been given a big dose of palm plus, bloodmeal and kelp extract

growth is epic

Edited by trioderob

Well the Pacific Northwest, that a sort of crappy climate we get uphere! Its good for growing stinging nettles though!

Still lousy autumn like weather. I hope we still get a bit of summer before the real cold knocks on the door...

So for all those folks wanting to visit the Low Countries, do not expect nice weather here! Better go somewhere else unless you realy want to see those bloody boring polders...

Alexander

• 2 weeks later...

Very muggy & even a few thudershowers west of the mountains this morning though no rainfall as my place. Dew points were above 70F in places; that is very high for California. But overall this summer has been cooler than normal and I don't see any forecasts that change things much. The massive high pressure over the Central U.S. hasn't really had much of an impact on the West Coast and may, in-fact, be partly responsible for our pleasant weather.

Hi: 90F\ 32.2C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Very muggy & even a few thudershowers west of the mountains this morning though no rainfall as my place. Dew points were above 70F in places; that is very high for California. But overall this summer has been cooler than normal and I don't see any forecasts that change things much. The massive high pressure over the Central U.S. hasn't really had much of an impact on the West Coast and may, in-fact, be partly responsible for our pleasant weather.

HAPP-

you think that its cooler than normal this year?

been pretty hot just south of you

Very muggy & even a few thundershowers west of the mountains this morning though no rainfall as my place. Dew points were above 70F in places; that is very high for California. But overall this summer has been cooler than normal and I don't see any forecasts that change things much. The massive high pressure over the Central U.S. hasn't really had much of an impact on the West Coast and may, in-fact, be partly responsible for our pleasant weather.

HAPP-

you think that its cooler than normal this year?

been pretty hot just south of you

Rob, it has been cooler than the average pretty much everywhere in California. Of-course, that is relative to what is normal.

For example the normal July max\ min compared to this year:

Los Angeles: 85F\ 66F; this July: 82F\ 64F

Ontario: 94F\ 66F; this July: 91F\ 64F

Palm Springs: 108F\ 79F; this July: 105F\ 77F

Carlsbad Beach: 78F\ 67F; this July: 75F\ 66F

San Diego: 77F\ 67F; this July: 74F\ 65F

Phoenix: 107F\ 84F; this July: 106F\ 83F

More significantly is the monsoon that normally engulfs the Southwest; this summer it has been very dry in Arizona\ eastern California.

Today it was 93F\ 33.8C at my house; normal for August is 89F\ 31.6C. So it was a bit warmer than normal but this summer's heat waves have only been maybe 5F above the norm and for just 3-4 days followed by a week or more of normal to below normal temps. That has been the pattern all summer.

BTW, some climatologist are forecasting a very cold winter for California based on analogs of similar conditions across the U.S.; maybe even as cold as 1949. So it could be California's turn for frost\ freezes! :o

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

I've noticed that now all the forecasts on various news broadcasts are no longer using true temps but now using "heat indexes" :blink: something to keep in mind.

********Angela**********

Kailua_Kona.gif

Kailua_Kona.gif

Check out Palmpedia

I've noticed that now all the forecasts on various news broadcasts are no longer using true temps but now using "heat indexes" :blink: something to keep in mind.

Heat indexes are posted by the NWS but normally humidity is low enough in California that 'what is feels like' is often cooler than the actual temperature. It gets muggy during summer at times in Southern California but generally only last a few days. For example today started out sunny and quite warm but a weak disturbance moved over parts of Los Angeles that produced very light rain. The temp dropped over 10 degrees in less than an hour around noon yet the dew point temp was over 70F so it felt uncomfortable. As soon as the thundershowers moved on it became hot but the humidity lowered enough so that it didn't feel any different than when it was raining.

Hi: 91F\ 32.7C

Lo: 69F\ 20.5C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

An interesting fluctuation in the wind flow produced very low dew points last night and minimums dropped to near records under clear skies and very low humidity. Downtown LA and LAX recorded 59F\ 15C, Yorba Linda and Dana Pt were 55F\ 12.7 and Corona hit 48F\ 8.8C! Kind of took the National Weather Service by surprise :lol: Tonight could be equally cool but a hot airmass is heading our way as the giant high pressure over the Central U.S. again shifts westward this weekend.

Hi: 92F\ 33.3C

Lo: 62F\ 16.6C

Los Angeles/Pasadena

34° 10' N   118° 18' W

USDA 11/Sunset 23

Still depressingly windy, chilly and gray here! And the thing is that only a couple of hundreds km south they get a bit summer!

Certainly living in the wrong place!!!

Well when I win the lotery its adios Holanda!

Alexander

Still depressingly windy, chilly and gray here! And the thing is that only a couple of hundreds km south they get a bit summer!

Certainly living in the wrong place!!!

Well when I win the lotery its adios Holanda!

Alexander

Well Santa Barbara never shook itself completely of the fog. Here we are in August and it's just like June all over again. Sucks. I miss those Santa Barbara summers from my childhood when it would get into the 80s and 90s on a daily basis. This summer isn't quite as horrible as last summer. We have had some nice weeks, but nothing consistent.

It's cooler than normal in Walnut Creek, but still very nice with highs in the 80's.....when it normally would be in the 90's. I hate to think about winter, but I've noticed the shorter days and the sun seems softer.

Dick

Richard Douglas