IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Bobby's trip to the Big O

Trópico

BobbyinNY, his wife, and several other palm-freaks in the area, myself and my wife included, had a get together at the local Leu Gardens, of which I was able to snap a few pictures.

I was only able to meet them during the last half hour so I have only a handful of pics. I'm sure Bobby will fill in with the rest of the awesome palms that Eric has been caring for.

How about a palm [freak] id?

DSC03684.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

humid/hot summers; dry/cool winters

with yearly freezes

The whole gang: from left to right, Myself (Tropico), Eric (Eric in Orlando), Bobby (BobbyinNY), his wife Cari, Tom (tikitiki), and Jason (Jason in Orlando). Under Livistona canopy.

DSC03685.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Me and wife feeling the good vibes of a superb Bizzie.

DSC03686.jpg

Come to Florida, you won't leave without a gift. Bobby, I hope you enjoy! L. decora.

DSC03678.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Later that night we meet with another palmaholic who kindly made reservations at the superb 'Ohana restaurant located at the Disney's Polynesian Resort.

DSC03692.jpg

A partial view of the atrium palms. I didn't have the opportunity to go downstairs since we came in the monorail which dropped us upstairs.

DSC03695.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Another:

DSC03698.jpg

We made a round of tropical drinks, here is the "Trinidad and Tobago" and the "Limbo"

DSC03699.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

And guess who's el distinguido cubano?

DSC03700.jpg

Thanks Bobby for the awesome time, wish you the best!

DSC03701.jpg

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Hey Frank... I know that place........

What a trip... We took a ton of Pictures.. I'll be posting them soon..  Everyone was so nice..... It was great meeting everyone. I have to say a special thanks to Eric for giving us such a great tour - he spent hours with us. This guy REALLY knows his stuff.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

Summer Highs  : 85-90f/day,  68-75f / night

Winter Lows     : 38-45f/day,   25-35f / night

Extreme Low    : 10-20f/day,    0-10f / night   but VERY RARE

Que bueno, mi amigo....  Yo estuve un poco borracho.

Bobby

Long Island, New York  Zone 7a (where most of the southern Floridians are originally from)

AVERAGE TEMPS

I haven't met Eric, but his Palmtalk comments show he's extraordinarily knowledgeable.  A very good thing to have such a valuable resource person in Orlando.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

You guys seem to have had a great time at Leu.  

Frank,

It was great meeting you and your wife.

Eric,

Bobby's wife showed me a photo of the Salacca.  I've got to make a trip there to see it in person.

Ray

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

Dear Tropico  :)

Lovely stills & that Bizie is terrefic.

But what i do not understand is,bizie colour keeps

changing from a country's climate condition_

Wal has his bizie more of blueish in colour,

Some forum members have it in more whiteish

in colour(like stainless steel plates).

while some appear nearer to green form.

while tropico your bizie still also looks closer to

green form.

Why does bizie change colours_anybody ???

Love,

Kris.

love conquers all..

43278.gif

My apologies, I'm terrible with names!  :(

Change is taken care of!

Frank

Zone 9b pine flatlands

with yearly freezes

Thanks for everyone coming by the Garden. It was nice to have met everyone and hope Bobby and Cari had a good trip to FL.

Eric

Orlando, FL

zone 9b/10a

It was great meeting you all!  Bobby, please post a photo of the "palmscraper" if you haven't already!  I can't wait to see that.  Looking forward to seeing you all again.

Jason

Skell's Bells

Inland Central Florida, 28N, 81W. Humid-subtropical climate with occasional frosts and freezes. Zone 9b.

Bobby, any results in the property-hunting department?  Wasn't that the reason for your trip?  Although the camaraderie looks to be just as good a reason! :)

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Bobby, any results in the property-hunting department?  Wasn't that the reason for your trip?  Although the camaraderie looks to be just as good a reason!

Absolutely, Kathy.. Yeah, all we did on Saturday was look at homes... It looks like St. Augustine is gonna be the place.. Wife loves it there, and I'm amazed at how much stuff will grow there because it's on the water....

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Good going.  Post pics of the vicinity when you get a chance.

San Francisco Bay Area, California

Zone 10a

Frank,

Thanks for posting the pics. What I really enjoy is putting a face with all these names(avitars).Looks like you had a great time.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

The Verschaffeltia and Aiphanes are doing remarkably well in the hotel atrium.  The Cyrtostachys has been removed since my last time there.

It was great meeting you all!  Bobby, please post a photo of the "palmscraper" if you haven't already!  I can't wait to see that.  Looking forward to seeing you all again.

Jason

No problem, Jason..... here it is....

post-57-1168454465_thumb.jpg

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

Have the code enforcement folks been to visit you about making structures with no permit?

dk

Don Kittelson

LIFE ON THE RIO NEGRO

03° 06' 07'' South 60° 01' 30'' West

Altitude 92 Meters / 308 feet above sea level

1,500 kms / 932 miles to the mouth of the Amazon River

Manaus, Amazonas, Brazil - A Cidade da Floresta

Where the world´s largest Tropical Rainforest embraces the Greatest Rivers in the World. .

82331.gif

Click here to visit Amazonas

amazonas2.jpg

Bobby,

Have the code enforcement folks been to visit you about making structures with no permit?

dk

No, and even if they did, they couldn't do anything.. it's temporary.. and even if they did, by the time they got around to doing anything, it would be spring and I'd just take it down anyway.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 10 2007,20:26)

Bobby,

dk

No, and even if they did, they couldn't do anything.. it's temporary.. and even if they did, by the time they got around to doing anything, it would be spring and I'd just take it down anyway.

...and by that time, you'll dig them all up for the move to Florida.  :D  :D  :D

Zac

Zac  

Living to get back to Mexico

International Palm Society member since 2007

http://community.webshots.com/user/zacspics - My Webshots Gallery

...and by that time, you'll dig them all up for the move to Florida.      

Zac

Yeah, you got that right, Zac... with this arctic air blast we're having, I feel like doing it today.... It's so damn cold here, I don't even want to go outside

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

St. Augustine, Bobby come on, really?  Have you looked at Tampa area? St Augustine is great to visit I guess.  Tampa, South Tampa much nicer.  Or Sarasota, now that's the stuff.  

Alan

Tampa, Florida

Zone - 10a

St. Augustine, Bobby come on, really?  Have you looked at Tampa area? St Augustine is great to visit I guess.  Tampa, South Tampa much nicer.  Or Sarasota, now that's the stuff.  

Alan

No, I've never been there, Alan.... I lived in Broward county for 6 years, so most of my knowledge is of South Florida (Dade, broward, Palm Beach) and the keys - which would be my first choice, hands down, but I have a wife to deal with who wants to feel like there's a bit of cold during the winter. She refuses to look any further south than St. Aug.. but, hey... you never know..... We'll just have to make a trip there.

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Yeah Bobby thin her blood out a bit, get her to think dam this is cold here in St. Augustine and you will be living in Homestead growing zone 10b+ palms in no time.

Jupiter FL

in the Zone formally known as 10A

Yeah Bobby thin her blood out a bit, get her to think dam this is cold here in St. Augustine and you will be living in Homestead growing zone 10b+ palms in no time.

Forget Homestead........ I'd go right down to the Keys....  Unfortunately, it's as expensive as New York down there :(

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 11 2007,15:00)

Forget Homestead........ I'd go right down to the Keys....  Unfortunately, it's as expensive as New York down there :(

And no jobs that pay NY wages  :;):

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

And no jobs that pay NY wages  

I could always get jobs just playing my guitar at the local bars down there :)

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby,

There are plenty of houses for sale in my neighborhood.  They're not cheap by Florida standards but probably still a step down from NY prices.

Ray

Bobby,

Central Florida would be the best for making small weekend trips. Either direction, you'll be there in a matter of a few hours. BTW....do you drive a pick-up truck? :D

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(Ray, Tampa @ Jan. 11 2007,21:53)

Bobby,

There are plenty of houses for sale in my neighborhood.  They're not cheap by Florida standards but probably still a step down from NY prices.

Ray

Ray,

BTW, when are you and the little lady making the move to your new lot you bought on Pine Island?

Jeff

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 11 2007,16:31)

And no jobs that pay NY wages  

I could always get jobs just playing my guitar at the local bars down there :)

Again....no jobs that pay NY wages :D

Larry 

Palm Harbor, FL 10a / Ft Myers, FL 10b

Bobby,

Ray

Ray,

Guess what???  I got Cari to agree to look at the Tampa Bay area (although begrudgingly)...   She said that I won't be happy until I get her to agree to Miami... I told her that we can't afford Miami so it's out of the question. Property in Tamps  is cheaper than in St. Augustine by about 50k from what I've seen - maybe cause it's on the gulf.. the atlantic coast is expensive... Most decent to nice houses in St. Aug are between 325,000 to 400,000.. where as in Tampa they're about 275-325.. So, I'm gonna come down for a weekend maybe in a month or so just to look around...

Bobby

AVERAGE TEMPS

Bobby, have you looked at the space coast area all the way down to satellite beach? Homes on the keys in the mid 200's - not bad - but don't forget to see if you can get someone to insure you....My trip to cocoa beach was enligthening as it was more "tropical" in plantings than non-key Sarasota, Manatee and Pinellas counties and the prices were reasonable. The keys (barrier islands) in the 3 counties I mentioned are actually quite amazing and tropical. Adonidia here (keys in Sarasota, Manatee and SOUTHERN pinellas) looks as impressive as anywhere I visited in Hawaii. Anywhere on these barrier islands is immune to radiational freezes and frosts, just have to worry about those one in 25 to 50 year advective events. Same on the east coast barrier islands maybe even up to Daytona.

Parrish, FL

Zone 9B

Author Carl Hiaasen moved out of the Keys to Vero Beach, Florida.  

One of Brevard County's amazing palm yards in on the mainland in West Melbourne.

Fla. climate center: 100-119 days>85 F
USDA 1990 hardiness zone 9B
Current USDA hardiness zone 10a
4 km inland from Indian River; 27º N (equivalent to Brisbane)

Central Orlando's urban heat island may be warmer than us

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 11 2007,23:18)

Ray,

Guess what???  I got Cari to agree to look at the Tampa Bay area (although begrudgingly)...   She said that I won't be happy until I get her to agree to Miami... I told her that we can't afford Miami so it's out of the question. Property in Tamps  is cheaper than in St. Augustine by about 50k from what I've seen - maybe cause it's on the gulf.. the atlantic coast is expensive... Most decent to nice houses in St. Aug are between 325,000 to 400,000.. where as in Tampa they're about 275-325.. So, I'm gonna come down for a weekend maybe in a month or so just to look around...

Hey Bobby,

Definitely do!  Esp. check out St. Pete - it is terrific for palm-growing, you can have a climate not unlike West Palm for much less $$.

Insurance is a major problem for "older" homes (like mine, grrrr) - so try to find one built after the 1970's.  Also, it's easier if the home is valued over 200K.

My husband and I have mostly lived in St. Pete for more than 30 years and I can honestly say I'd rather live here than anywhere.

(Dave-Vero @ Jan. 12 2007,00:45)

Author Carl Hiaasen moved out of the Keys to Vero Beach, Florida.

He did?  When?

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good

(BobbyinNY @ Jan. 10 2007,20:26)

Bobby,

dk

Code Enforcement.  grrrr.   :angry:

St. Pete

Zone - a wacked-out place between 9b & 10

Elevation = 44' - not that it does any good