IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Rhopalostylis baueri

CardiffPalmNut

In order to keep domestic harmony in my home I was recently "persuaded" to relocate one of my favorite and happiest palms. I consulted many "experts" on the process of moving a large well rooted Rhopie and most told me I was wasting my time (and considerable effort). So after several weeks of root pruning and talking story with it, three weeks ago I finally popped it out of the ground.post-978-047827800 1305501551_thumb.jpg And here for scale is my faithful companion "Hilo" supervising of coarse.post-978-051017400 1305501575_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Aloha!

Always looking for "Palms of Paradise"

Cardiff by the Sea 10b 1/2

1/2 mile from the Blue Pacific

Its been relocated from full ( Western) mid day and afternoon sun, to Morning Sun With afternoon shade.post-978-046296200 1305501790_thumb.jpgpost-978-061916100 1305501815_thumb.jpg I have been hesitant to post the move, hoping for the best, but fearing it might just sit there and have a slow death. However, recently I was informed about the "3 inch rule", so I have been watering and waiting and measuring and today ( 18 days post transplant) the new spear has pushed 3 1/2 inches since the move.post-978-069780200 1305501995_thumb.jpg Yeah!!!!!!

• Upvote 5

Aloha!

Well done. Very professional and an awesome plant. I hope it thrives for you.

Best regards

Tyrone

• Upvote 1

Millbrook, "Kinjarling" Noongar word meaning "Place of Rain", Rainbow Coast, Western Australia 35S. Warm temperate. Csb Koeppen Climate classification. Cool nights all year round.

Sweet Bill! I didn't notice the irragation lines until I zoomed in! lol

I think that baby should do OK!

BS Man

(originator of the 3" rule) :)

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Great looking palm! What view was it blocking?

• Upvote 1

Palms are life, the rest is details.

BS Man

Are you supposed to be proud of a 3" rule?

• Upvote 2

Encinitas on a hill 1.5 miles from the ocean.

I'll take credit where I can find it.... :P

• Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Keep us posted.

We need to know.

War is hell on the home front, too . . . :)

• Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Really nice looking palm and one of my favorites that do well down here in Tasmania . Good to see some regrowth keep us informed on it's progress .

Troy

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

The three inch rule...

So post transplant, If the spear moves three inches upward, what? How many palms does this apply to?

3" in 18 days is great growth! That thing is home free man. The rootball is huge! That thing doesn't even know it got moved.

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

BS Man

Yeah Bill I had three 3/4", one 1" irrigations lines, one 1 1/2" gas line and a 4" Area Drain line all running through the root ball.

Aloha!

Great looking palm! What view was it blocking?

My wifes view of the Ocean from Her kitchen sink.

Aloha!

The three inch rule...

So post transplant, If the spear moves three inches upward, what? How many palms does this apply to?

Andrew,I've seen a lot of palms over the years transplanted (usually in haste) that will push the spear 1 or 2 inches... then no more. eventually brown and die. I have yet to see a transplanted one push 3" or more and die from the transplant... something MAY happen a couple years later, but those problems have been attributed to something post transplant.

But Bill,

What happened to your wife's view of the rhopie outside her kitchen window? :wacko:

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

I’m sure that harmony in the house was worth the work and effort, glad it’s doing well!

Palm Beach Palm and Cycad Society Member (IPS Affiliate)

North Palm Beach

I’m sure that harmony in the house was worth the work and effort, glad it’s doing well!

Tom it sure was, I have already located a "replacement" Palm for the spot vacated by the baueri. Eric this is how it works, see lost here view of the huge baueri, she won't even notice the new little 1 gallon Ravenea Julietiae - and presto I have another new baby in the ground and she's happy!!

Aloha!

Tom it sure was, I have already located a "replacement" Palm for the spot vacated by the baueri. Eric this is how it works, see lost here view of the huge baueri, she won't even notice the new little 1 gallon Ravenea Julietiae - and presto I have another new baby in the ground and she's happy!!

Will this also give you the hall pass to pull the trigger in october? Vegas is nice that time of year...Amanda and I are already plotting....

Living in the valley of the dirt people in the inland empire, "A mullet on every head and a methlab in every kitchen." If you can't afford to live in the tropics, then bring the tropics to you!

I have about 15 pots all around the house so when I get one more its not noticed by the wife! I've planted things that she will notice months later and she will say-I said no more palms! my reply is always-babe,that one has been there for a long time!

Grateful to have what I have, Les amis de mes amis sont mes amis!

I have about 15 pots all around the house so when I get one more its not noticed by the wife! I've planted things that she will notice months later and she will say-I said no more palms! my reply is always-babe,that one has been there for a long time!

i've used that same line.... 60% of the time it works everytime.

"it's not dead it's sleeping"

Santee ca, zone10a/9b

18 miles from the ocean

avg. winter 68/40.avg summer 88/64.records 113/25

Looks great!

Hmm. The rhopie would have gotten tall enough in time to have the ocean view . . .

BUT!

Harmony is a nice thing, and it looks like no one is the worse (too much) for wear.

That really is a rockin' Rhopie! I went out and gave mine a hug . . . . . :lol:

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Guys ( and Gals) I know we are all in this together when it comes to adding to the garden, a few stray pots and a new one or two isn't so easily noticed, thats why I try and have a couple dozen always siting around various parts of the yard. NOT a container ranch mind you like some people have, "just a few" that are always being acclimatized. :lol::lol:

Aloha!

dummy pots. A couple of $2 king palms in pots helps explain away a lot. :rage:

• Upvote 1

Matt Bradford

"Manambe Lavaka"

Spring Valley, CA (8.5 miles inland from San Diego Bay)

10B on the hill (635 ft. elevation)

9B in the canyon (520 ft. elevation)

• 6 months later...

How is this palm doing now ??

I ask as i am thinking about moving a smaller one that is about 60 cm . :rolleyes:

post-1252-036359700 1322345357_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

The three inch rule...

Andrew,I've seen a lot of palms over the years transplanted (usually in haste) that will push the spear 1 or 2 inches... then no more. eventually brown and die. I have yet to see a transplanted one push 3" or more and die from the transplant... something MAY happen a couple years later, but those problems have been attributed to something post transplant.

Whats the time line for this? A year or less?

1322345379' post=499693]

How is this palm doing now ??

I ask as i am thinking about moving a smaller one that is about 60 cm . :rolleyes:

post-1252-036359700 1322345357_thumb.jpg

Troy - it hasn't missed a beat it's pushing it's third spear since I moved it. I will try and post an updated pic tomorrow

Aloha

Aloha!

1322393127' post=499768]

1305618414' post=465706]

1305560229' post=465487]

The three inch rule...

It took less than 8 weeks to pass the "3" inch rule on the existing spear

Aloha!

Thanks - thats good to hear !

Look forward to the updated pic

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

• 3 years later...

Can we see an updated Pic please !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Cool Maritime climate

• 2 years later...
On 11/27/2011, 3:25:27, dalmatiansoap said:

There really is not timeline other than similar to the growth rate of what it was prior to relocation. That being said I have been to lazy to dig a palm that started growing again well over a year later, then stop. For me it's primarily palms that require a lot of heat which I don't have.

• Upvote 2

How's that moved Rhopie? It's been a few years.

On Mon May 16 2011 00:21:58 GMT+0100, CardiffPalmNut said:

In order to keep domestic harmony in my home I was recently "persuaded" to relocate one of my favorite and happiest palms. I consulted many "experts" on the process of moving a large well rooted Rhopie and most told me I was wasting my time (and considerable effort). So after several weeks of root pruning and talking story with it, three weeks ago I finally popped it out of the ground.post-978-047827800 1305501551_thumb.jpg And here for scale is my faithful companion "Hilo" supervising of coarse.post-978-051017400 1305501575_thumb.jpg

Good job on a nice species... this palm is very elegant

Here are a couple shots from this morning, its slowed down in the shade now, but has a couple feet of trunk and fruited last year.

IMG_2865.JPG

IMG_2867.JPG

• Like 1
  • Upvote 8

Aloha!